Build 0.6.19 with static openssl ?

Thomas Shinnick

Jun 18, 2012, 5:56:25 PM6/18/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
0.6.19 comes with its own copy of OpenSSL 0.9.8r .
It would seem logical to use that to build node when not using the system lib and not wanting to build one's own lib. Especially as I don't control the server and openssl-dev is not installed, so I have
to build with an own copy of some provenance.

But I can't figure out how to force the packaged OpenSSL to build and link.

And in any case, I can't figure out how to build node with a static OpenSSL, even when building a downloaded tarball.

Any suggestions how to either:
  - build the packaged OpenSSL and link statically with node
  - build a downloaded OpenSSL and link statically with node

I saw Tim's posting
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/nodejs/openssl/nodejs/N2B_wuIUATc/YXytQOW8gsIJ
but did not see where he had modified a build make/waf/gyp/entrails to force inclusion of the static code.

Ben Noordhuis

Jun 18, 2012, 6:14:10 PM6/18/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
v0.6.x doesn't really support linking against a static openssl, not
unless you hack the wscript. The bundled openssl is only used on
windows.

v0.7.x and v0.8.x however will build against the bundled version by
default. Maybe give that a spin.

Thomas Shinnick

Jun 18, 2012, 11:50:13 PM6/18/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com, carter-thaxton
Unfortunately there's a reason, which is the need for a module not yet ready for 0.7.x/0.8.x, node-sqlite3.  And so the desire for the latest 0.6.19, in my crossed-up server.  I suppose I can limp along using LD_LIBRARY_PATH for awhile.

It'd be great to tap into the accumulating frustration with modules lagging core.  You probably saw a mention of someone asking about porting guidance here, referencing this same module, node-sqlite3, in mid-thread:
    "Node Addon: Threads and libuv ref counter (C++)"
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/nodejs/Sob97-QbtlA\

Some people are already trying to move on porting.  But how to equip them with the knowledge needed to do so?

Ben Noordhuis

Jun 19, 2012, 7:54:12 AM6/19/12
On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Thomas Shinnick <tshi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately there's a reason, which is the need for a module not yet ready
> for 0.7.x/0.8.x, node-sqlite3.  And so the desire for the latest 0.6.19, in
> my crossed-up server.  I suppose I can limp along using LD_LIBRARY_PATH for
> awhile.
>
> It'd be great to tap into the accumulating frustration with modules lagging
> core.  You probably saw a mention of someone asking about porting guidance
> here, referencing this same module, node-sqlite3, in mid-thread:
>     "Node Addon: Threads and libuv ref counter (C++)"
>     https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/nodejs/Sob97-QbtlA\
>
> Some people are already trying to move on porting.  But how to equip them
> with the knowledge needed to do so?

Come hang out in #libuv on freenode.org, we'll be happy to provide guidance.

Nathan Rajlich

Jun 19, 2012, 2:59:36 PM6/19/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com, carter-thaxton
Thomas,

I was able to take a second and look at node-sqlite3 to see what they needed for v0.7/v0.8 support. The changes were pretty minimal. You can take a look here: https://github.com/developmentseed/node-sqlite3/pull/76

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Thomas Shinnick

Jun 19, 2012, 11:07:56 PM6/19/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Why thank you tall stranger!  You are cool relief to the sun-stroked...