Install NPM via apt-get

Kay

Sep 19, 2011, 12:42:29 PM9/19/11
to nodejs
Hello all,

After much chagrin, I was able to turn NPM into .deb packages, and
decided to set up a Launchpad PPA to serve them.

The newest version served is v1.0.29 and is available for Ubuntu Lucid/
Maverick/Natty. This means you are now able to install both Node.js
and NPM simply through apt-get install, or the Synaptic interface.

Please check out my blog for the complete instructions:
http://blog.gantrithor.com/

Also if anyone here is familiar with Debianization - in v1.0.30 the
upstream has removed all the man pages, and I am not sure how to
handle this. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! =)

--

Gias Kay
http://blog.gantrithor.com/+

Kay

Sep 19, 2011, 12:48:13 PM9/19/11
to nodejs
On Sep 20, 12:42 am, Kay <gsklee.of.planet.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please check out my blog for the complete instructions:

Sorry - this is the correct link:
http://blog.gantrithor.com/post/10405024929/install-node-js-npm-via-apt-get-synaptic

Isaac Schlueter

Sep 19, 2011, 1:06:48 PM9/19/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Gias,

You should pull the tarball from
https://registry.npmjs.org/npm/-/npm-1.0.30.tgz instead of cloning the
git repo, since that's what is actually fetched when people install it
manually. That url, and the shasum of the tarball, can be found in
the "dist" field of https://registry.npmjs.org/npm/latest or
https://registry.npmjs.org/npm/1.0.30

You can validate the SSL certificate against my CA, here:
https://github.com/isaacs/npm/blob/master/lib/utils/config-defs.js#L78-94,
and you can validate the CA cert came from me by verifying that it's
in the git commit tagged v1.0.30, which was signed with my PGP key,
which you can validate:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=i%40izs.me&op=index and
http://stinkfoot.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=i%40izs.me

If for some reason that is not acceptable, run a `make doc` in the
package root, which will install ronn locally and then build the
manpages and html for you.

> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Kay

Sep 19, 2011, 2:16:43 PM9/19/11
to nodejs
Hey Isaac,

I think I got it. Thanks for the hint =)
On Sep 20, 1:06 am, Isaac Schlueter <i...@izs.me> wrote:
> Gias,
>
> You should pull the tarball fromhttps://registry.npmjs.org/npm/-/npm-1.0.30.tgzinstead of cloning the
> git repo, since that's what is actually fetched when people install it
> manually.  That url, and the shasum of the tarball, can be found in
> the "dist" field ofhttps://registry.npmjs.org/npm/latestorhttps://registry.npmjs.org/npm/1.0.30
>
> You can validate the SSL certificate against my CA, here:https://github.com/isaacs/npm/blob/master/lib/utils/config-defs.js#L7...,
> and you can validate the CA cert came from me by verifying that it's
> in the git commit tagged v1.0.30, which was signed with my PGP key,
> which you can validate:http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=i%40izs.me&op=indexandhttp://stinkfoot.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=i%40izs.me
>
> If for some reason that is not acceptable, run a `make doc` in the
> package root, which will install ronn locally and then build the
> manpages and html for you.
>

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 09:48, Kay <gsklee.of.planet.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 20, 12:42 am, Kay <gsklee.of.planet.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Please check out my blog for the complete instructions:
>
> > Sorry - this is the correct link:
> >http://blog.gantrithor.com/post/10405024929/install-node-js-npm-via-a...

Ricardo Tomasi

Sep 19, 2011, 4:52:04 PM9/19/11
to nodejs
So Linux users can apt-get, but we can't brew install npm?

;(

On Sep 19, 2:06 pm, Isaac Schlueter <i...@izs.me> wrote:
> Gias,
>
> You should pull the tarball fromhttps://registry.npmjs.org/npm/-/npm-1.0.30.tgzinstead of cloning the
> git repo, since that's what is actually fetched when people install it
> manually.  That url, and the shasum of the tarball, can be found in
> the "dist" field ofhttps://registry.npmjs.org/npm/latestorhttps://registry.npmjs.org/npm/1.0.30
>
> You can validate the SSL certificate against my CA, here:https://github.com/isaacs/npm/blob/master/lib/utils/config-defs.js#L7...,
> and you can validate the CA cert came from me by verifying that it's
> in the git commit tagged v1.0.30, which was signed with my PGP key,
> which you can validate:http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=i%40izs.me&op=indexandhttp://stinkfoot.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=i%40izs.me
>
> If for some reason that is not acceptable, run a `make doc` in the
> package root, which will install ronn locally and then build the
> manpages and html for you.
>

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 09:48, Kay <gsklee.of.planet.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 20, 12:42 am, Kay <gsklee.of.planet.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Please check out my blog for the complete instructions:
>
> > Sorry - this is the correct link:
> >http://blog.gantrithor.com/post/10405024929/install-node-js-npm-via-a...

Isaac Schlueter

Sep 19, 2011, 7:38:03 PM9/19/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
If apt actually results in a working npm, and not something patched to
all hell and riddled with new bugs and additional lines that make
stack traces worthless and send confused users my way, I'll have no
problem with it.

The issue with Homebrew is that npm does a bunch of stuff that
Homebrew tries to guarantee that its packages never do. To get it to
not do these things, they had to patch it like crazy, and this made a
bunch of things break.

If you've installed npm some way other than what the npm readme says
to do, then don't be surprised if I am less able to help you in the
event of errors. Likewise, if you have some unofficial Homebrew
recipe that does things that Homebrew tries hard not to allow, and it
breaks stuff, then don't be surprised if the Homebrew folks are less
able to help you resolve the situation.

It's really quite admirable in my opinion that the Homebrew crowd came
to the conclusion that it would be better to not install it if it
meant installing something broken. Package managers should generally
always be self-installed, not installed via some other package
manager.

Ricardo Tomasi

Sep 20, 2011, 3:13:26 AM9/20/11
to nodejs
'twas a half-assed joke, sorry. I'm aware of the whole issue.

I do appreciate the blacklisting message on homebrew, which prints the
one-liner install. That's actually all I want, a short and easy to
shout alias :)

Gias Kay Lee

Oct 4, 2011, 5:04:05 PM10/4/11
to nodejs
Now serving v1.0.93 for Ubuntu Lucid/Maverick/Natty/Oneiric.