Where to start

Scott Ware

Jul 21, 2011, 2:36:47 PM7/21/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Node.js community!

I am looking for a good place to start learning about node.js. It seems very cool, and really cutting-edge. Are there any tips/suggestions you would offer to a newbie?

Thank you!

C M

Jul 21, 2011, 5:07:53 PM7/21/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
What kind of a development background do you have?  I'd hesitate to make a suggestion without a sense of what you already know.

AvianFlu

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

C M

Jul 21, 2011, 5:14:03 PM7/21/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Sam Frons

Jul 21, 2011, 5:28:12 PM7/21/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
this is a pretty good video where this guy walks you through building this cool geo location app and it's pretty fun. $12 required donation tho.

Karl Tiedt

Jul 21, 2011, 5:31:26 PM7/21/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thats called a fee, or cost ;)

There is no such thing as "required tips", "required donations" or
"required gratuities" If you have no choice in the matter then you are
paying for a service, not offering tips, donations etc.

-Karl Tiedt

Sam Frons

Jul 21, 2011, 5:43:57 PM7/21/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
oxymoronic semantic joke. i guess it didn't work.

mscdex

Jul 21, 2011, 6:34:07 PM7/21/11
to nodejs

Sam Strasser

Jul 21, 2011, 4:54:23 PM7/21/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
If you have programming experience, I recommend http://www.nodebeginner.org/, I think it's very approachable for a someone new.

Best of luck

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Scott Ware <scott...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hij1nx

Jul 21, 2011, 8:20:18 PM7/21/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com, nod...@googlegroups.com

David Herron

Jul 21, 2011, 9:14:46 PM7/21/11
to nodejs

I'm in the final stages of a book with Packt:

http://www.packtpub.com/node-javascript-web-development/book

It's explicitly targeted at "where to start" ... I'm probably the
wrong person to tell you that it's a good book ;-)

+ David Herron
http://davidherron.com/

Scott Ware

Jul 21, 2011, 9:29:19 PM7/21/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the replies! My programming background includes Perl & TCL which I'm very comfortable with. PHP I worked a lot with a few years ago...but haven't really touched it since. As well as some JavaScript...but still on the novice to beginner level on that. Maybe advanced beginner if I'd have to clarify.

As far as what I want to develop...I haven't really thought of that too much. Just want to start learning and creating things as I go that will help. Blogs, simple web-apps, probably, as I get more familiar with the language.

Thanks again for all the tips! I'll be sure to check them out!

ekryski

Jul 22, 2011, 12:49:45 AM7/22/11
to nodejs
All are very good resources but I'm also surprised no one added
http://nodetuts.com/

alessio_alex

Jul 22, 2011, 3:35:31 AM7/22/11
to nodejs
This is easy.

I suggest with the video tutorials on:

http://nodetuts.com

Some code might be old in some episodes, but I've rewritten it to work
properly. Check out here: https://github.com/alessioalex/Nodetuts

Also, there are 2 excellent ebooks that are a MUST: http://nodebeginner.org/

If you follow the videos and make the examples from these 2 books, you
are good to go 100% !

Scott Ware

Jul 22, 2011, 10:16:09 AM7/22/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Alex!!

Branko Vukelic

Jul 22, 2011, 3:41:14 AM7/22/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 6:49 AM, ekryski <e.kr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All are very good resources but I'm also surprised no one added
> http://nodetuts.com/

It was mentioned. ;) Pedro's tuts (nodetuts.com) are really good. I
recommend them as well. Also, there are introductory screencasts on
expressjs.com[1]. Depending on OP's JavaScript experience, the 6-part
Crockford on JavaScript series are highly recommended.[2] I also
recommend reading JavaScript patterns by Stoyan Stevanov[3] as the
ultimate best-practices resource for JavaScript.

[1] http://expressjs.com/screencasts.html
[2] There are 5 parts:
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/video.php?v=crockonjs-1
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/video.php?v=crockonjs-2
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/video.php?v=crockonjs-3
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/video.php?v=crockonjs-4
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/video.php?v=crockonjs-5
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/video.php?v=crockford-loopage
[3] http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596806767

--
Branko Vukelić
bra...@herdhound.com

Lead Developer
Herd Hound (tm) - Travel that doesn't bite
www.herdhound.com

Love coffee? You might love Loveffee, too.
loveffee.appspot.com