multiple version of node on windows

Phoscur

Feb 1, 2012, 2:44:52 AM2/1/12
to nodejs
Some hours ago I installed node v0.7.1 because of the path.exists bug,
now I can't install another module because it's dependency explictly
doesn't support node >0.7. On *nix I know there is nvm to manage
multiple node versions, but what can I use on windows?
The installer won't even let me downgrade (this has to be fixed btw, a
simple confirmation would be better than just aborting).

Did some more googling and found nvmw, which is currently broken.
Anything else maybe?

Bert Belder

Feb 1, 2012, 8:27:28 AM2/1/12
to nodejs
Am am not aware of any node version manager for windows. I would
suggest you downgrade to 0.6.8 (http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.6.8/) until
we release 0.6.10.

Tim Caswell

Feb 1, 2012, 10:06:42 AM2/1/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
But he said "The installer won't even let me downgrade" ;)

I'm not sure how the installer works, but surely there is an uninstall
option for the old version, and if not would deleting the files be
enough.

Node is quite portable. I know on posix systems, the only file needed
for executing is the node binary itself. It can be moved anywhere and
still works. I would imagine the same trick works for node in
windows. Just move the files to a new place and install the 0.6.8
version?

> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Phoscur

Feb 1, 2012, 12:39:07 PM2/1/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Renaming the nodejs folder in program files did not work. I had to do
the deinstall before I could reinstall again, but I guess I can just
rename folders again if I want to switch to 0.7.1.

Hah. Just this moment nvmw has been updated, also nice to have a version
manager for windows available.

Isaac Z. Schlueter

Feb 1, 2012, 3:31:09 PM2/1/12
to nodejs
You can remove it manually in Control Panel > Add Remove Programs.
The auto-removal doesn't seem to work if it's going down in number.
Then installing 0.6.9 should work.

You can also install the stable version, and then grab just the
node.exe of the unstable release and put it wherever you want to try
it out.

https://github.com/hakobera/nvmw might be helpful to you as well.