[nodejs] Solaris build issue

stevel

May 15, 2010, 5:42:48 PM5/15/10
to nodejs
Just thought I'd post a quick note on a build issue I was having with
Solaris: (snv_109, yes it's old...). My setup is x86 of course, with
Python 2.4.4

I was running into this build issue:
50/67] libv8.a: deps/v8/SConstruct -> build/default/libv8.a
TypeError: cannot concatenate 'str' and 'NoneType' objects:
File "/export/home/stevel/node-v0.1.95/deps/v8/SConstruct", line
666:
SIMPLE_OPTIONS = {

Poking around in SConstruct, it looks like GuessToolchain was failing
to find my 'gcc' in my TOOLS environment (though ./configure claims to
have found gcc correctly). My workaround to get Node.js to build was
to:

* change GuessToolchain() to always return 'gcc' instead of NoneType
* remove /opt/SUNWspro/bin (the Sun Studio compilers) from my path
* export CC=/usr/sfw/bin/gcc to force V8 to use the GNU compilers
instead of Sun Studio (since it still kept finding cc)
* and lastly remember to use 'gmake' instead of 'make'

Obviously workaround #1 wasn't great, but meh... it got things up and
running and building so I can live with that.
Hope that's helpful to anyone else trying to build on Solaris.

cheers,
steve