any interest in starting a starting a NYC node meetup? nodeny?

Marak Squires

May 31, 2010, 3:34:42 PM5/31/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com, ny...@googlegroups.com
I know we have been doing a lot of SSJS talks at NYC.js lately and a
lot of people haven't been familiar with node and SSJS, or they simply
aren't able to use node in their current production stack. I really
hate seeing the browser not get enough attention at our meetings and i
really dont like seeing node not getting enough attention overall.

I've been talking to a few people in the area and I THINK there is
enough interest to start up a nodejs nyc meetup group.

If we can get enough people for the first meetup we can open with a 30
minute nodejs for noobs training course to get everyone's mac books
working with node, getting repos from github, installing (NPM) the
node package manager, installing a simple router, installing a simple
database, etc. First meeting would be sometime in late June.

The second half of the meetup could be a more advanced topic (TBD) and
then lighting talks to anyone who wants to talk about some cool
javascript / node stuff.

Let me know what you think / drop me a message if you'd like to present.

-Marak

Karl Guertin

May 31, 2010, 7:12:58 PM5/31/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 3:34 PM, Marak Squires <marak....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know we have been doing a lot of SSJS talks at NYC.js lately and a
> lot of people haven't been familiar with node and SSJS, or they simply
> aren't able to use node in their current production stack. I really
> hate seeing the browser not get enough attention at our meetings and i
> really dont like seeing node not getting enough attention overall.
>
> I've been talking to a few people in the area and I THINK there is
> enough interest to start up a nodejs nyc meetup group.

I'd rather just keep it a part of the nyc.js meetup. The time is like
66/33% browser/node, which is fine by me. It's not like either side
isn't getting presentation time and I don't think different groups of
people would show up if you had two events.

Marak Squires

May 31, 2010, 11:15:02 PM5/31/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
"I'd rather just keep it a part of the nyc.js meetup. The time is like
66/33% browser/node, which is fine by me. It's not like either side
isn't getting presentation time and I don't think different groups of
people would show up if you had two events."

You opinion is duly noted, and ignored. I don't care what you think or
what is "fine by you". This is a thread to determine if there are
enough people who are interested in attending a separate node meetup
where we could dive into materials that we will never have the time to
discuss at NYC.js. There's no question that one meeting a month is not
sufficient enough time to adequately cover both topics. Please don't
derail this thread with your personal opinions, just let me know if
you would be willing to attend. I'll take your response as a "no".

-Marak

Ricardo Tomasi

Jun 1, 2010, 12:26:43 AM6/1/10
to nodejs
Wow. That's some way to get people engaged.

Chris Winberry

Jun 1, 2010, 7:22:25 AM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Maybe you should not have closed your post with "Let me know what you think" if you were not sincere about it.

Count me out in that case.

On May 31, 2010 11:15 PM, "Marak Squires" <marak....@gmail.com> wrote:

"I'd rather just keep it a part of the nyc.js meetup. The time is like

66/33% browser/node, which is...

You opinion is duly noted, and ignored. I don't care what you think or
what is "fine by you". This is a thread to determine if there are
enough people who are interested in attending a separate node meetup
where we could dive into materials that we will never have the time to
discuss at NYC.js. There's no question that one meeting a month is not
sufficient enough time to adequately cover both topics. Please don't
derail this thread with your personal opinions, just let me know if
you would be willing to attend. I'll take your response as a "no".

-Marak

To po...

Marak Squires

Jun 1, 2010, 7:46:17 AM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I have little patience for people who have nothing to contribute to the community and then say blanket statements like,  "It's not like either side
isn't getting presentation time and I don't think different groups of people would show up if you had two events."
, which is just wrong.

If you've been to every single meeting you'll notice we are doing more and more Node talks and the browser is started to get a bit ignored. There is a large amount of information that is node specific that the majority of javascript developers that show up to NYC.js simply don't care about.

I don't even know why I bothered posting this thread, I should have just posted a date and time. I'm starting the group up regardless. If only one person shows up, then only one person will get to learn about node.

Thanks for telling us all you won't be coming Karl and Chris, I'll make sure to mark to down my in day planner of things that don't matter. I look forward to ignoring more of these pointless threads.

good day.

-Marak
> To post to this group, send email to nod...@googlegroups.com.
> nodejs+un...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en.

Felix Geisendörfer

Jun 1, 2010, 7:53:34 AM6/1/10
to nodejs
Regardless of anything, please be polite on this mailing list. Thanks.

--fg

On Jun 1, 1:46 pm, Marak Squires <marak.squi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have little patience for people who have nothing to contribute to the
> community and then say blanket statements like, * "It's not like either side
> isn't getting presentation time and I don't think different groups of people
> would show up if you had two events."*, which is just wrong.
>
> If you've been to every single meeting you'll notice we are doing more and
> more Node talks and the browser is started to get a bit ignored. There is a
> large amount of information that is node specific that the majority of
> javascript developers that show up to NYC.js simply don't care about.
>
> I don't even know why I bothered posting this thread, I should have just
> posted a date and time. I'm starting the group up regardless. If only one
> person shows up, then only one person will get to learn about node.
>
> Thanks for telling us all you won't be coming Karl and Chris, I'll make sure
> to mark to down my in day planner of things that don't matter. I look
> forward to ignoring more of these pointless threads.
>
> good day.
>
> -Marak
>
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Chris Winberry <cpt.obvi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Maybe you should not have closed your post with "Let me know what you
> think"
> > if you were not sincere about it.
>
> > Count me out in that case.
>
> > On May 31, 2010 11:15 PM, "Marak Squires" <marak.squi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "I'd rather just keep it a part of the nyc.js meetup. The time is like
> > 66/33% browser/node, which is...
>
> > You opinion is duly noted, and ignored. I don't care what you think or
> > what is "fine by you". This is a thread to determine if there are
> > enough people who are interested in attending a separate node meetup
> > where we could dive into materials that we will never have the time to
> > discuss at NYC.js. There's no question that one meeting a month is not
> > sufficient enough time to adequately cover both topics. Please don't
> > derail this thread with your personal opinions, just let me know if
> > you would be willing to attend. I'll take your response as a "no".
>
> > -Marak
>
> > --
> .

Marak Squires

Jun 1, 2010, 7:57:06 AM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I'm allowed to yell at Karl, I think he's been to my house.

Felix Geisendörfer

Jun 1, 2010, 8:01:26 AM6/1/10
to nodejs
You are allowed to yell at anyone. I'm just asking for it to not be
here. I think a friendly atmosphere will go a long way in keeping this
list a useful tool as node grows.

--fg
> > <nodejs%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<nodejs%252Bunsubscribe@googlegroups. com>

Marak Squires

Jun 1, 2010, 8:02:38 AM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
You know what, delete the thread then because I'm just gonna yell more at everyone as the day continues.

Guillermo Rauch

Jun 1, 2010, 8:07:30 AM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I can't delete threads from people's inboxes.

--fg

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Marak Squires <marak....@gmail.com> wrote:
You know what, delete the thread then because I'm just gonna yell more at everyone as the day continues.

--
Guillermo Rauch
http://devthought.com

Scott Taylor

Jun 1, 2010, 11:11:12 AM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com

I'm all for a node specific meetup, although maybe what we really need is a bi-monthly nyc-js.

Scott

Elijah Insua

Jun 1, 2010, 11:51:25 AM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Scott Taylor <sc...@railsnewbie.com> wrote:

I'm all for a node specific meetup, although maybe what we really need is a bi-monthly nyc-js.

Yeah, I'm not sure if we have enough speakers for a twice a month meetup.  I could be wrong.

Perhaps if we enforce a "if this is your first night at nyc.js, you have to to speak"

-- Elijah

MilesTogoe

Jun 1, 2010, 12:30:12 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com, Marak Squires
On 06/01/2010 05:02 AM, Marak Squires wrote:
You know what, delete the thread then because I'm just gonna yell more at everyone as the day continues.

I wish all this negative energy could get channeled into helping simplify the deployment of a nginx, node, node-router stack for us non sys admin hackers.   We're completely stuck, have wasted lots of time unable to deploy and so are on the verge of  pulling the plug on node and going back to ruby.   And we are not alone so if you really want to promote node, perhaps you can turn your attention to more helping issues.

Scott Trudeau

Jun 1, 2010, 12:09:28 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com

I'm indifferent -- I'd probably sporadically attend, depending on the topic.

What I'd *love* to see are some people using node.js in production (at some scale) to solve a particular (set of) problem(s) w/ a walkthrough of their system architecture, why they chose node, where it fits in, how they're using it (w/ code & whiteboarding or diagrams where appropriate), and what the challenges/trade-offs are. Two great venues for such a talk (or series of talks) in NYC would be the "Tech Talks Meetup" hosted by Greg Whalin (Meetup.com CTO) at Meetup HQ and "NY Tech Bar Night" hosted by Ted Roden (NY Times R&D) at a bar:

Scott

Marak Squires

Jun 1, 2010, 12:54:05 PM6/1/10
to MilesTogoe, nod...@googlegroups.com
Learn to read (from my OG post):

If we can get enough people for the first meetup we can open with a 30
minute nodejs for noobs training course to get everyone's mac books
working with node, getting repos from github, installing (NPM) the
node package manager, installing a simple router, installing a simple
database, etc. First meeting would be sometime in late June.

> I wish all this negative energy could get channeled into helping simplify
> the deployment of a nginx, node, node-router stack for us non sys admin
> hackers.   We're completely stuck, have wasted lots of time unable to deploy
> and so are on the verge of  pulling the plug on node and going back to
> ruby.   And we are not alone so if you really want to promote node, perhaps
> you can turn your attention to more helping issues.

Chris Winberry

Jun 1, 2010, 1:26:21 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com

What problems are you having? Send me an email directly and I will see if I can assist. Just went through a deployment and ran into a few things myself. If we cover enough stuff I will push it into a howtonode submission.

On Jun 1, 2010 12:30 PM, "MilesTogoe" <miles...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 06/01/2010 05:02 AM, Marak Squires wrote:

> You know what, delete the thread then because I'm j...

I wish all this negative energy could get channeled into helping simplify the deployment of a nginx, node, node-router stack for us non sys admin hackers.   We're completely stuck, have wasted lots of time unable to deploy and so are on the verge of  pulling the plug on node and going back to ruby.   And we are not alone so if you really want to promote node, perhaps you can turn your attention to more helping issues.

> 2010/6/1 Felix Geisendörfer <fe...@debuggable.com>
>>
>> You are allowed to yell at anyone. I...

To post to...

Ryan Gahl

Jun 1, 2010, 4:44:01 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com, MilesTogoe
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Marak Squires <marak....@gmail.com> wrote:
Learn to read (from my OG post):

Dude, do you need some sort of counseling? It seems like you might be going through a difficult time in your life and are hoping that lashing out for no good reason against anonymous people (after specifically asking for opinions) will make things better. Whatever it is, we've all had tough times in our life, and I can assure you this behavior won't really help.

Marak Squires

Jun 1, 2010, 5:07:27 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I give up for now. It seems people would rather make pointless threads and discuss net etiquette then trying to expand the community and teach people how to use node. I've been evangelizing node very hard for over 6 months now, have gotten over 10+ (serious industry known developers) using node now, I've given several talks about node and node related projects to several groups, and I even got to speak on Track A of JSConf this year for a 100% nodejs project.

You wonder why I get annoyed when I'm trying to figure out the best way to disseminate information to noobs and I'm getting nothing but flak from people who already have a large understanding of how to use node, have little interest in helping, and have done almost nothing to evangelize the project.

I should have never bothered posting this here, I won't be responding to the nodejs thread anymore.

Matt Ranney

Jun 1, 2010, 5:18:10 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Ricardo Tomasi <ricar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wow. That's some way to get people engaged.

To be fair, Marak is from New York.  This, I'm told, is how they talk out there.

It's really clear that you are trying to grow the node community, which is great.

Ryan Gahl

Jun 1, 2010, 5:21:58 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Marak Squires <marak....@gmail.com> wrote:
I give up for now. It seems people would rather make pointless threads and discuss net etiquette then trying to expand the community and teach people how to use node. I've been evangelizing node very hard for over 6 months now, have gotten over 10+ (serious industry known developers) using node now, I've given several talks about node and node related projects to several groups, and I even got to speak on Track A of JSConf this year for a 100% nodejs project.

You wonder why I get annoyed when I'm trying to figure out the best way to disseminate information to noobs and I'm getting nothing but flak from people who already have a large understanding of how to use node, have little interest in helping, and have done almost nothing to evangelize the project.

I should have never bothered posting this here, I won't be responding to the nodejs thread anymore.

Wow, you're a diva.

Curtis Schofield

Jun 1, 2010, 5:26:57 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Marak Squires:

 Keep up the node.js work your doing - Sounds like you've got some great focus going. Good luck with the community in New York!

Charlie Robbins

Jun 1, 2010, 5:37:43 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com, ny...@googlegroups.com
All work and no play makes Marak a dull boy.

Flame-wars aside, I think that a node.js specific meetup in NYC would be an interesting way to pull in new people who may have no particular interest in browser-based Javascript. I have a pretty long history consulting in the financial services industry (name a large bank, I've probably worked there). I've been evangelizing node within that community and I've been getting sideways looks over and over again despite the kind of performance node offers. These guys, however have absolutely no interest in browser based JS so going to NYC.js is kind of outside their scope.

Just some thoughts.

Charlie

Dean Landolt

Jun 1, 2010, 6:13:26 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Charlie Robbins <charlie...@gmail.com> wrote:
All work and no play makes Marak a dull boy.

Flame-wars aside, I think that a node.js specific meetup in NYC would be an interesting way to pull in new people who may have no particular interest in browser-based Javascript. I have a pretty long history consulting in the financial services industry (name a large bank, I've probably worked there). I've been evangelizing node within that community and I've been getting sideways looks over and over again despite the kind of performance node offers. These guys, however have absolutely no interest in browser based JS so going to NYC.js is kind of outside their scope.

I'm not from NYC (but I'm close enough to be enticed into hopping the Chinatown bus every now and then) so my opinion on the matter is pretty pointless. But Charlie's got a point: node's value proposition isn't hey look, javascript on the server. The target audience is more backend devs and low-level protocol hackers than it is your typical client-side developers. That's not to say there isn't overlap -- and that javascript on the server isn't a pretty nice bonus, and javascript user groups should be talking about node and other SSJS options. But why not reach out and woo those poor java and .NET saps? Or preach to the converted twisted and eventmachine folks?

Guillermo Rauch

Jun 1, 2010, 6:17:23 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
This is a good point. The opportunities to share code between the client and the server, for example, are very few. The audiences are certainly different.

A counter-argument, however, is that a good way to engage clientside-only developers in server-side goodness is to say "look, it's also javascript! look, events!".

MilesTogoe

Jun 1, 2010, 8:13:36 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com, Chris Winberry
On 06/01/2010 10:26 AM, Chris Winberry wrote:

What problems are you having? Send me an email directly and I will see if I can assist. Just went through a deployment and ran into a few things myself. If we cover enough stuff I will push it into a howtonode submission.

hi Chris,
thks for the offer of help - I laid out most of the specs in the thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs/browse_thread/thread/eb1342d3d4729f39#

if there's other details needed let me know

yes, a how-to / cookbook / code snippet type of wiki page on the node wiki would help make node more usable by the larger development community.

On Jun 1, 2010 12:30 PM, "MilesTogoe" <miles...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 06/01/2010 05:02 AM, Marak Squires wrote:

> You know what, delete the thread then because I'm j...

I wish all this negative energy could get channeled into helping simplify the deployment of a nginx, node, node-router stack for us non sys admin hackers.   We're completely stuck, have wasted lots of time unable to deploy and so are on the verge of  pulling the plug on node and going back to ruby.   And we are not alone so if you really want to promote node, perhaps you can turn your attention to more helping issues.

> 2010/6/1 Felix Geisendörfer <fe...@debuggable.com>
>>
>> You are allowed to yell at anyone. I...

MilesTogoe

Jun 1, 2010, 8:55:09 PM6/1/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com, Dean Landolt
Actually this thread brings out some issues that might be solved in more creative ways.   User group mtgs are tough to coordinate - people are geographically scattered, people have other time commitments, presenters are hard to come by, and it's difficult to sustain a critical mass.   So..

a) why not use what we know (and hopefully are good at) - webcasts !  One webcast can not only reach everyone around the world but can be watched when convenient, at a pace relevant to the listener.   These can be done in a variety of ways such a "planet" of webcasts, scheduled webinars with live Q&A, ........    Maybe because I'm in the west I'm more attuned to rural workers that would like to participate.

b) human get togthers are important and necessary but maybe having something like quarterly code camps might be more accessible by many people - makes a longer trip justifiable, people have a better chance of blocking out time, more of a chance to mingle with others you don't normally see, and with more attendees it makes it better for sponsors to give out books, and free pizza !!

c) another approach is what the Utah java group did (or still does) - that is have one main, general talk, then break into SIG's - this could be done as a "web group"  - has the advantage of getting more info in areas outside the tunnel vision of our specific favorite language and offering more choice (ie maybe this month's node sig talk doesn't interest me but the css sig talk really does)  Again the idea of creating critical mass and a larger scope to justify attendance.

personally I think a combo of a) and b) makes most sense but let the community decide.

Lars G

Jun 2, 2010, 9:25:28 PM6/2/10
to nodejs
I would be interested in an NYC node meetup. tx. :)

Camilo Aguilar

Jun 2, 2010, 10:07:00 PM6/2/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
me too

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Lars G <lge...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would be interested in an NYC node meetup. tx. :)

metamind

Jun 3, 2010, 7:07:12 AM6/3/10
to nodejs
Webinars sound good to me. I live in the sticks.

(Somebody could create a voip node webcam streaming hub so we can see
what we all look like)

m g

Jun 3, 2010, 7:47:24 PM6/3/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com