Easiest hosting

fisherwebdev

Sep 15, 2010, 5:50:15 AM9/15/10
to nodejs
Hi,

I've looked at the list -- http://github.com/ry/node/wiki/hosting --
but I'm still wondering...

Which hosting provider would be the easiest place for someone like me
-- a decent scripter, but not really very skilled with Unix servers.
I tried Slicehost a couple of years ago, but found the set up pretty
difficult, tedious, frustrating. My Unix skills have improved since
then, but still, I would prefer to avoid the time and effort.

I would need Python, Ruby and/or PHP, MySQL, FTP and SSH access,
possibly email... ability to play around with MongoDB / Mongoose would
also be a big plus.

Oh and I should also mention that I don't have much money.

And please note, I'm really asking about the *easiest* way to go, not
the *best*. Extensive and accurate documentation goes a long way
toward being easy, in my opinion, if I have to get deeply into the
Unix.

thanks tons! i appreciate you reading this far.

- - Bill

Joshua Kehn

Sep 15, 2010, 11:39:52 AM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Bill-

I would say give Slicehost another shot. Slicehost + Rackspace Email is the easiest setup I've found.

Everything you need installed (assume SFTP instead of FTP) can be done through Aptitude in about five minutes.

On top of that, the articles are very informative and helpful, as is their live support via chat.slicehost.com. Everyone there knows what they are doing and is more then willing to help with a few problems. Don't expect hour long tech support sessions, but if you are having trouble setting up say MySQL, they will at least be able to point you to the right guide or tutorial that will help.

Regards,

-Josh

Tiago Paiva

Sep 15, 2010, 11:44:53 AM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Bill-

Joshua is right. Try Slicehost or Linode (cheaper).

;)

Tiago Paiva

Ryan Gahl

Sep 15, 2010, 11:46:40 AM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Gratuitous obvious answer:

EC2 micro instance at ~$15/mo + very small amount of learning = life time of joy and immense power (and about twice the RAM of the smallest slice at slicehost, for less money).

Tiago Paiva

Sep 15, 2010, 11:48:57 AM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Ryan-

Have you made any comparison between EC2 micro-instance and Linode/Slicehost? It is said that EC2 is pretty slow.

Tiago Paiva

Joshua Kehn

Sep 15, 2010, 11:52:14 AM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
EC2 is also less flexible, depending on what you are doing. I also haven't given it a decent run, but my impression was that it is easier if you want to throw more machines behind an application, not dedicated hosting.

Of course, you could always skip Slicehost and jump straight to Rackspace Cloud. ~$11 a month for the same server as Slicehost, you just don't have any disk space (this costs more, but only something like $0.30 per G).

Anything you sign up for at these prices is going to involve some getting your hands dirty. All my Apache VH's are setup in VIM. Every config file is edited, with VIM. I'm comfortable at a CLI, are you? That is the big question. $20 / mo is not going to get you CPanel and Plesk. However, with some determination and patience you can do without.

Regards,

-Josh
____________________________________
Joshua Kehn | Josh...@gmail.com

Ryan Gahl

Sep 15, 2010, 11:58:13 AM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
No, I haven't done those types of comparisons yet with the micro-instances specifically, but so far haven't seen any issues on EC2 with performance (larger instances, mind you).

That's probably a good comparison to make (micro-instance vs. slicehost small slices), although at the $15/mo level I don't think anyone's making an app that is expected to handle huge loads. One big thing that would still lean me towards EC2 is slicehost out performed the micro-instances by a bit is the fact that if the app load outgrew the instance capacity, EC2 has MUCH greater room that app to grow (and apparently at a much lower cost when comparing per-instance capabilities).

Ryan Gahl

Sep 15, 2010, 12:00:43 PM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Anyway... I know the OP will reject EC2 because it means installing stuff on his own... just had to do the old "lead a horse to water" thing...

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Ryan Gahl <ryan...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Joshua Kehn <josh...@gmail.com> wrote:
EC2 is also less flexible, depending on what you are doing.

I don't think you've used EC2. Either that, or you smoke some really good crack.

Ryan Gahl

Sep 15, 2010, 11:59:15 AM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Joshua Kehn <josh...@gmail.com> wrote:
EC2 is also less flexible, depending on what you are doing.

José Moreira

Sep 15, 2010, 12:14:19 PM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
i can talk about Joyent which should be starting a node hosting service soon. they pumped out an "alpha/beta" for nodeknockout and has been working well.

Tiago Paiva

Sep 15, 2010, 12:16:56 PM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Joyent is super-expensive... at least for me.

Tiago Paiva

Mikeal Rogers

Sep 15, 2010, 12:18:33 PM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
CouchOne gives free CouchDB hosting. In like 2 seconds you'll have a running CouchDB.

http://www.couchone.com/get

So far the only node host I've used is Joyent and they fuckin rock!

-Mikeal

Tiago Paiva

Sep 15, 2010, 12:37:38 PM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
  • 1GB RAM guaranteed
  • 1/4 CPU guaranteed
  • Bursting to 8 CPUs
  • 10 TB/mo bandwidth
  • 15GB storage
  • $125/mo

That's pricy and they recommend 3gb (?) for node.

Tiago Paiva

Ryan Gahl

Sep 15, 2010, 12:42:27 PM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that's crazy expensive, except on the bandwidth maybe.

Ryan Gahl

Sep 15, 2010, 12:45:18 PM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Ryan Gahl <ryan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, that's crazy expensive, except on the bandwidth maybe.

Meaning, that's crazy expensive _for what you get_. Especially compared to a small instance on EC2. Granted, it saves you from *gasp* installing stuff, but is that really worth the difference in cost? You know my answer :)

to each their own

Mikeal Rogers

Sep 15, 2010, 1:00:50 PM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
How is node "bursting" to 8 CPUs?

Dean Landolt

Sep 15, 2010, 1:04:15 PM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Mikeal Rogers <mikeal...@gmail.com> wrote:
How is node "bursting" to 8 CPUs?

Presumably using something like multi-node.

Isaac Schlueter

Sep 15, 2010, 1:59:16 PM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
The $125/mo offering from Joyent is what we have now, and that's great
for a lot of serious production use cases. I'll be the first to say
that it's not ideal for the node hobbyist. I only pay about $11/mo
for my VM on rackspacecloud, and way less than that for my server on
prgmr.com, so dropping $125 a month is pretty extreme. But if you are
building a business on it, then that's not so much, and you get a lot
of great features and support with that pricetag.

So, let's talk about easy and cheap.

A lot of you saw an alpha of the http://no.de/ service at NodeKO, and
we're working on even more awesome stuff. Seriously, we get it, we
know, you all want this. Quite apart from being a Joyent employee,
just as a noder myself, *I* want this, and I want it to be just silly
easy. Stay tuned!

If you need CouchDB hosting, go with CouchOne. Things have been much
stabler since I moved the npm registry there. I'm a crappy sysadmin,
and no one knows how to keep couch running right like the guys at
CouchOne. They wrote the thing. http://couchone.com

I haven't used it, and thus can't vouch for it, but if I were to want
to use MongoDB, I'd use MongoHQ, for the same reason that I use
CouchOne. Pricing starts at "free", and you don't have to install
anything anywhere. http://mongohq.com/

Put your data in the cloud, leave system administration to dedicated
professionals. Then you can spend more time on your application and
less time on bullshit.

--i

Tiago Paiva

Sep 15, 2010, 2:37:07 PM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Here it is some nice evaluation of EC2 micro: http://blog.documentcloud.org/blog/2010/09/evaluating-amazons-ec2-micro-instances/

Tiago Paiva

Ryan Gahl

Sep 15, 2010, 3:06:38 PM9/15/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
That is an excellent article, good find.

fisherwebdev

Sep 15, 2010, 4:28:44 PM9/15/10
to nodejs
Thanks everyone, for your input.

Yes, I should put in the time, if I had it, and increase my knowledge
of unix servers... but I really appreciate those of you who understand
where I'm coming from -- definitely still in the "node hobbyist" camp.

Isaac -- I'm looking forward to that reemergence of http://no.de !
Sounds totally great.

Also heard that webbynode is offering at least the OS pre-installed,
perhaps more. I'll look into it more deeply and report back here.

thanks again for being an awesome community.

- - Bill

On Sep 15, 10:59 am, Isaac Schlueter <i...@izs.me> wrote:
> The $125/mo offering from Joyent is what we have now, and that's great
> for a lot of serious production use cases.  I'll be the first to say
> that it's not ideal for the node hobbyist.  I only pay about $11/mo
> for my VM on rackspacecloud, and way less than that for my server on
> prgmr.com, so dropping $125 a month is pretty extreme.  But if you are
> building a business on it, then that's not so much, and you get a lot
> of great features and support with that pricetag.
>
> So, let's talk about easy and cheap.
>
> A lot of you saw an alpha of thehttp://no.de/service at NodeKO, and
> we're working on even more awesome stuff.  Seriously, we get it, we
> know, you all want this.  Quite apart from being a Joyent employee,
> just as a noder myself, *I* want this, and I want it to be just silly
> easy.  Stay tuned!
>
> If you need CouchDB hosting, go with CouchOne.  Things have been much
> stabler since I moved the npm registry there.  I'm a crappy sysadmin,
> and no one knows how to keep couch running right like the guys at
> CouchOne.  They wrote the thing.http://couchone.com
>
> I haven't used it, and thus can't vouch for it, but if I were to want
> to use MongoDB, I'd use MongoHQ, for the same reason that I use
> CouchOne.  Pricing starts at "free", and you don't have to install
> anything anywhere.http://mongohq.com/
>
> Put your data in the cloud, leave system administration to dedicated
> professionals.  Then you can spend more time on your application and
> less time on bullshit.
>
> --i
>

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:04, Dean Landolt <d...@deanlandolt.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Mikeal Rogers <mikeal.rog...@gmail.com>

fisherwebdev

Sep 16, 2010, 3:41:15 PM9/16/10
to nodejs
Webbynode is really looking good for those looking for easy and
cheap. For $10/month, you get 256Mb RAM, 12Gb storage, 150Gb
bandwidth and a dedicated IP address. That seems like plenty for the
"node hobbyist", am I right? I'm looking for a development and demo
environment, basically. Not a super-duper production machine with
gigs of RAM.

They also have some deployment tools to make building the server very
easy and very quick. They offer something they call a "Readystack",
which is a basic configuration with basic options. So there is a
Rails Readystack, a Django Readystack, etc. and within each of those
you have a bunch the options that you might typically want. Then they
also offer something they call a "Rapp", a rapid application
deployment, which can set up more specific things by pulling
everything from a GitHub repo.

Here is a short video showing the Readystack: http://vimeo.com/5264261
And here is a longer video about it: http://vimeo.com/5078046

So I wanted Rails, nginx, Python, MySQL plus the ability to add
node.js and maybe MongoDB, right? The message below is what they told
me.

- - Bill

--------------snip-------------------

Hi Bill,

For what you propose, you could either use a Rails ReadyStack and add
your node.js application support by hand or you could use our Rapp
engine. This engine allows you to deploy applications using git. Read
more about Rapp here:

http://guides.webbynode.com/articles/rapidapps/

There will be a beta in the upcoming weeks that will support node.js.
More details in this blog post:

http://blog.webbynode.com/2010/08/26/whats-down-the-pipeline/

And last but not least, with Rapp we support installing MongoDB as an
addon, take a look:

http://guides.webbynode.com/articles/rapidapps/addons.html

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

--
John Andersen

www.webbynode.com
IRC: #webbynode @ irc.freenode.net
Twitter: http://twitter.com/webbynode

-------------/snip----------------------

On Sep 15, 1:28 pm, fisherwebdev <fisherweb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks everyone, for your input.
>
> Yes, I should put in the time, if I had it, and increase my knowledge
> of unix servers... but I really appreciate those of you who understand
> where I'm coming from -- definitely still in the "node hobbyist" camp.
>
> Isaac -- I'm looking forward to that reemergence ofhttp://no.de!
> Sounds totally great.
>
> Also heard that webbynode is offering at least the OS pre-installed,
> perhaps more.  I'll look into it more deeply and report back here.
>
> thanks again for being an awesome community.
>
> - - Bill
>
> On Sep 15, 10:59 am, Isaac Schlueter <i...@izs.me> wrote:
>

> > The $125/mo offering from Joyent is what we have now, and that's great
> > for a lot of serious production use cases.  I'll be the first to say
> > that it's not ideal for the node hobbyist.  I only pay about $11/mo
> > for my VM on rackspacecloud, and way less than that for my server on
> > prgmr.com, so dropping $125 a month is pretty extreme.  But if you are
> > building a business on it, then that's not so much, and you get a lot
> > of great features and support with that pricetag.
>
> > So, let's talk about easy and cheap.
>
> > A lot of you saw an alpha of thehttp://no.de/serviceat NodeKO, and

Miguel Coquet

Sep 16, 2010, 4:38:25 PM9/16/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
To add to this , the slicehost wiki and forum are REALLLY helpful.

Terry Riegel

Sep 16, 2010, 10:19:10 PM9/16/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
+1 for ec2

The new micro instances are awesome. I can't really to the difference in my apps between my micro and my large instances.

Micro = .02 or .008 /hour
Large = .32 or .12 /hour

The lower rate is for reserved instances.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone

Tyler Gillies

Sep 16, 2010, 11:07:42 PM9/16/10
to nodejs
Whats a "reserved" instance?

On Sep 16, 7:19 pm, Terry Riegel <rie...@clearimageonline.com> wrote:
> +1 for ec2
>
> The new micro instances are awesome. I can't really to the difference in my apps between my micro and my large instances.
>
> Micro = .02 or .008 /hour
> Large = .32 or .12 /hour
>
> The lower rate is for reserved instances.
>
> Terry
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 15, 2010, at 11:46 AM, Ryan Gahl <ryan.g...@gmail.com> wrote:> Gratuitous obvious answer:
>
> > EC2 micro instance at ~$15/mo + very small amount of learning = life time of joy and immense power (and about twice the RAM of the smallest slice at slicehost, for less money).
>
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Joshua Kehn <josh.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Bill-
>
> > I would say give Slicehost another shot. Slicehost + Rackspace Email is the easiest setup I've found.
>
> > Everything you need installed (assume SFTP instead of FTP) can be done through Aptitude in about five minutes.
>
> > On top of that, the articles are very informative and helpful, as is their live support via chat.slicehost.com. Everyone there knows what they are doing and is more then willing to help with a few problems. Don't expect hour long tech support sessions, but if you are having trouble setting up say MySQL, they will at least be able to point you to the right guide or tutorial that will help.
>
> > Regards,
>
> > -Josh
> > ____________________________________
> > Joshua Kehn | Josh.K...@gmail.com
> >http://joshuakehn.com
>
> > On Sep 15, 2010, at 5:50 AM, fisherwebdev wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
>
> > > I've looked at the list --http://github.com/ry/node/wiki/hosting--
> > > but I'm still wondering...
>
> > > Which hosting provider would be the easiest place for someone like me
> > > -- a decent scripter, but not really very skilled with Unix servers.
> > > I tried Slicehost a couple of years ago, but found the set up pretty
> > > difficult, tedious, frustrating.  My Unix skills have improved since
> > > then, but still, I would prefer to avoid the time and effort.
>
> > > I would need Python, Ruby and/or PHP, MySQL, FTP and SSH access,
> > > possibly email... ability to play around with MongoDB / Mongoose would
> > > also be a big plus.
>
> > > Oh and I should also mention that I don't have much money.
>
> > > And please note, I'm really asking about the *easiest* way to go, not
> > > the *best*.  Extensive and accurate documentation goes a long way
> > > toward being easy, in my opinion, if I have to get deeply into the
> > > Unix.
>
> > > thanks tons!  i appreciate you reading this far.
>
> > > - - Bill

Stephen Belanger

Sep 16, 2010, 11:36:12 PM9/16/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
You reserve an instance for a specific time period, rather than doing the pay-as-you-go thing. It's cheaper because it'd up front, so they can earn interest on it, but it's worth it if you plan on hanging onto that instance for awhile.

mscdex

Sep 16, 2010, 11:59:38 PM9/16/10
to nodejs
On Sep 16, 11:07 pm, Tyler Gillies <tjgill...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whats a "reserved" instance?

From http://amazon.com/ec2:

"Reserved Instances give you the option to make a low, one-time
payment for each instance you want to reserve and in turn receive a
significant discount on the hourly usage charge for that instance.
After the one-time payment for an instance, that instance is reserved
for you, and you have no further obligation; you may choose to run
that instance for the discounted usage rate for the duration of your
term, or when you do not use the instance, you will not pay usage
charges on it."

Mikeal Rogers

Sep 17, 2010, 1:21:52 AM9/17/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
BTW, CouchOne currently doesn't publicly offer GeoCouch hosting but we do one offs for people.

Ping me if you want a GeoCouch.

-Mikeal

fuzzy spoon

Sep 17, 2010, 5:23:22 AM9/17/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
This is a great list guys. Thanks for the reading.
Ill also be looking to host my app real soon and if i cant get it to
work on my server,
im just gonna go with another option.

Kenny Shen

Sep 17, 2010, 11:05:08 AM9/17/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
pooling resources with a few friends can be one other option. vps like linode give like 512 ram (generally playing with node, i think memory comes first than all the other munch they offer), and if u get 2 other guys u can some good ram with 7 bucks per month overhead or so. (but i'm looking forward to joyent's node hosting when it finally rolls)
Kenny Shen
Web Developer
M: +65 91521542
W: www.northpole.sg
"The union of the mathematician with the poet, fervor with measure, passion with correctness, this surely is the ideal."
- William James

Daniel J. Pritchett

Sep 17, 2010, 11:53:19 AM9/17/10
to nodejs
Can anyone point to a guide on getting up and running using Node on an
ec2 micro instance? My experience thus far covers setting up my own
Ubuntu VM using VirtualBox and then compiling and installing Node plus
coffeescript yesterday.

I *have* an ec2 account as of two weeks ago but I've been a bit timid
on actually spinning up a server. How quickly can I get going using a
reference image? How easily can I track the costs I've incurred day
to day?

Thanks!

On Sep 16, 9:19 pm, Terry Riegel <rie...@clearimageonline.com> wrote:
> +1 for ec2
>
> The new micro instances are awesome. I can't really to the difference in my apps between my micro and my large instances.
>
> Micro = .02 or .008 /hour
> Large = .32 or .12 /hour
>
> The lower rate is for reserved instances.
>
> Terry
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 15, 2010, at 11:46 AM, Ryan Gahl <ryan.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Gratuitous obvious answer:
>
> > EC2 micro instance at ~$15/mo + very small amount of learning = life time of joy and immense power (and about twice the RAM of the smallest slice at slicehost, for less money).
>
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Joshua Kehn <josh.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Bill-
>
> > I would say give Slicehost another shot. Slicehost + Rackspace Email is the easiest setup I've found.
>
> > Everything you need installed (assume SFTP instead of FTP) can be done through Aptitude in about five minutes.
>
> > On top of that, the articles are very informative and helpful, as is their live support via chat.slicehost.com. Everyone there knows what they are doing and is more then willing to help with a few problems. Don't expect hour long tech support sessions, but if you are having trouble setting up say MySQL, they will at least be able to point you to the right guide or tutorial that will help.
>
> > Regards,
>
> > -Josh
> > ____________________________________
> > Joshua Kehn | Josh.K...@gmail.com
> >http://joshuakehn.com
>
> > On Sep 15, 2010, at 5:50 AM, fisherwebdev wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
>
> > > I've looked at the list --http://github.com/ry/node/wiki/hosting--
> > > but I'm still wondering...
>
> > > Which hosting provider would be the easiest place for someone like me
> > > -- a decent scripter, but not really very skilled with Unix servers.
> > > I tried Slicehost a couple of years ago, but found the set up pretty
> > > difficult, tedious, frustrating.  My Unix skills have improved since
> > > then, but still, I would prefer to avoid the time and effort.
>
> > > I would need Python, Ruby and/or PHP, MySQL, FTP and SSH access,
> > > possibly email... ability to play around with MongoDB / Mongoose would
> > > also be a big plus.
>
> > > Oh and I should also mention that I don't have much money.
>
> > > And please note, I'm really asking about the *easiest* way to go, not
> > > the *best*.  Extensive and accurate documentation goes a long way
> > > toward being easy, in my opinion, if I have to get deeply into the
> > > Unix.
>
> > > thanks tons!  i appreciate you reading this far.
>
> > > - - Bill

Stephen Belanger

Sep 17, 2010, 12:29:45 PM9/17/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Maybe there is a pre-made node AMI. If not, someone should make one. It'd be handy.

Terry Riegel

Sep 17, 2010, 12:48:54 PM9/17/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Here is what I do.

Log into the AWS console.

Choose the Amazon EC2 tab and click launch new instance. The wizard has 4 "steps"

1. Choose an AMI - I usually choose 64 bit Fedora
2. Instance Details - The defaults are fine here
3. Create Key Pair - This will create a key that will later be used to ssh into your instance
4. Configure Firewall - Here you can simply create a security group. The instance will follow the settings for this group and the group can be changed later independent of the instance, With node if you create a server that listens on port 3030 then you will need to modify the security group to allow connections on port 3030

Once the AMI fires up you can connect to it via ssh

Once in via SSH you should be able to run the install instructions off of nodejs.org

Terry

Daniel J. Pritchett

Sep 17, 2010, 4:06:21 PM9/17/10
to nodejs
Thanks, Terry. I've tried it out myself using 32-bit Ubuntu since
it's what I know best. I wrote up my own primitive bootstrapping
shell script to install node, npm, and then fire up a hello, world web
app on port 3000.

The instructions and the script are on my blog if any future readers
are curious: http://dpritchett.posterous.com/get-up-and-running-with-nodejs-on-your-own-am

Gerad Suyderhoud

Sep 18, 2010, 4:14:06 AM9/18/10
to nodejs
My thoughts:

Personally: I'm likely to use EC2 until no.de comes out f'realz.

Best Potential: no.de - http://no.de
* Pros: Designed for Node (from the ground up) by ryah. Painless git-
based deployment. Built on Joyent's battle-tested infrastructure.
Shell access.
* Cons: Not yet generally available (but the Node.js Knockout preview
instances rocked). Solaris.

Best Ease: Heroku - http://blog.heroku.com/archives/2010/4/28/node_js_support_experimental/
* Pros: No setup (like Google AppEngine). Painless git-based
deployment (if you can commit to GitHub, you can deploy to Heroku).
Cool plug-in architecture for adding functionality. Apps restart and
scale fairly automatically.
* Cons: Closed alpha (invites are easy to get). No shell access.
Heroku's infrastructure handicaps a lot of the interesting bits of
node (no web sockets, connections are only left open for 30 seconds).

Best Performance: Linode
See http://journal.uggedal.com/vps-performance-comparison for why.
These tests mirror findings we had at my last company. But running
bare on our own boxes blew every VPS out of the water. (So don't
choose a VPS if performance is your primary concern).

Best Scalability: Amazon
It's a bit painful to set-up, but once you have, you can spin up 50 or
500 just as easily as doing one.
* Here are some notes that might help people get started:
http://fortnightlabs.posterous.com/getting-started-with-ec2
* Also, some notes on how to create an AMI (for easy reuse):
http://fortnightlabs.posterous.com/create-a-reusable-ec2-ami-from-your-instance

Disclosures: Joyent and Heroku were sponsors of Node.js Knockout
(which I helped create and organize). Also, I haven't investigated,
and don't know anything about, the offerings from other players in the
space (like Nodejitsu).

On Sep 17, 1:06 pm, "Daniel J. Pritchett" <dpritch...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Thanks, Terry.  I've tried it out myself using 32-bit Ubuntu since
> it's what I know best.  I wrote up my own primitive bootstrapping
> shell script to install node, npm, and then fire up a hello, world web
> app on port 3000.
>
> The instructions and the script are on my blog if any future readers
> are curious:http://dpritchett.posterous.com/get-up-and-running-with-nodejs-on-you...

fisherwebdev

Sep 18, 2010, 7:11:33 PM9/18/10
to nodejs
Heroku requires that you ask them and wait for permission to deploy
node.js. They are allowing folks in small batches, apparently. I
asked six days ago and have not yet heard from them, but perhaps I
will hear from them soon.

That's all cool because it's free, but if you can't wait for
permission, I'm still unconvinced that anything is easier than
Webbynode - http://www.webbynode.com/