using libunbound instead of udns ?

Jérémy Lal

Feb 11, 2010, 10:12:08 AM2/11/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
It seems udns is not maintained anymore...

I would like to ask what would be the best replacement ?
libunbound looks nice, it uses libldns and libev.

Any comments ?

signature.asc

kapouer

Feb 11, 2010, 10:16:42 AM2/11/10
to nodejs
I also noticed this could help porting udns to unbound :

http://code.google.com/p/cwave/source/detail?r=27

Ryan Dahl

Feb 11, 2010, 1:44:30 PM2/11/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com

I don't see any evidence that it's not maintained. Michael has
responded to my emails. That said, I've been wanting to move away from
udns for a long time because it doesn't do /etc/hosts lookups. I like
c-ares a lot, and I think it would be a good replacement.

At the moment when you do tcp.createConnection(80, "somehost.com") the
resolution goes through getaddrinfo() in the thread pool. Only the
'dns' module uses udns. Once c-ares is set in place, I'd like to do
all resolutions with it.

It's a pretty major effort, though. Anyone interested in taking it on?
It's probably going to be some weeks before I can look at it.

inimino

Feb 11, 2010, 3:22:24 PM2/11/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On 2010-02-11 11:44, Ryan Dahl wrote:
> Once c-ares is set in place, I'd like to do
> all resolutions with it.
>
> It's a pretty major effort, though. Anyone interested in taking it on?
> It's probably going to be some weeks before I can look at it.

Perhaps a GSoC project?

--
http://inimino.org/~inimino/blog/