[nodejs] APE comparison

ferenc

May 19, 2010, 10:45:54 AM5/19/10
to nodejs
Hi,

Could you please point out the differences between APE-project and
nodejs and how nodejs is different.

What I've found out so far was the JS VM, which is SpiderMonkey in
APE's case.
APE's core is written in C whereas nodejs in C++.

Looking at the features I've seen MySAC already implemented in APE and
only found libmysql module for nodejs.

Regards,
Ferenc

mscdex

May 19, 2010, 9:55:14 PM5/19/10
to nodejs
On May 19, 10:45 am, ferenc <ferenc.vehm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please point out the differences between APE-project and
> nodejs and how nodejs is different.
>
> What I've found out so far was the JS VM, which is SpiderMonkey in
> APE's case.
> APE's core is written in C whereas nodejs in C++.

On May 19, 10:45 am, ferenc <ferenc.vehm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please point out the differences between APE-project and
> nodejs and how nodejs is different.

Prior to re-finding and deciding on node.js, I had looked at and
tinkered a little bit with APE. Basically, APE is a publish-subscriber
comet server with mysql support. On the other hand, node.js is a more
generic system that allows you to do many different things (including
easily writing a comet server). You can take a look at the
documentation here to see just what the node.js _core_ can do:
http://nodejs.org/api.html

node.js has a very active community with a ton of node.js modules
(written in js) and addons (written in C++) available. You can find a
list of these and other useful links here: http://wiki.github.com/ry/node/wikis

> Looking at the features I've seen MySAC already implemented in APE and
> only found libmysql module for nodejs.

If you click on the "Modules" link on the wiki page linked to above,
you'll find more DB bindings than just libmysql.

Guillermo Rauch

May 19, 2010, 10:03:30 PM5/19/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Prior to re-finding and deciding on node.js, I had looked at and
tinkered a little bit with APE. Basically, APE is a publish-subscriber
comet server with mysql support. On the other hand, node.js is a more
generic system that allows you to do many different things (including
easily writing a comet server). You can take a look at the
documentation here to see just what the node.js _core_ can do:
http://nodejs.org/api.html

That's not entirely accurate. APE exposes more APIs aside from the one you mention (which is the APE protocol).
For example, a proxy to a TCP socket connection: http://www.ape-project.org/demos/6/tcpsocket-demo-irc.html (thus implementing the IRC protocol on the client side)[1]

Node is different in the sense that it exposes more basic APIs, giving more flexibility to developers and doing a lot more in JavaScript. A WebSocket server in Node consists of implementing the handshake in JavaScript and sending the encoded data through the wire on top of a HTTP server API[2]
In APE, a WebSocket server is written in C and lightly exposed to JavaScript.

[1] this can be done easily with socket.io as well
[2] which is also written in JavaScript on top of a tcp Stream API

--
Guillermo Rauch
http://devthought.com