new version 0.6.4 magic number was blocked in CHINA

fengmk2

Dec 3, 2011, 10:44:18 AM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
because the number "64" have been filtered by CHINA GFW.
The new nodejs version 0.6.4 has cause nodejs.org blocked in China.

Our chinese nodejs developers visit nodejs.org website is RESET now!

Please help us, change the version number quickly!

ps: the "89" magic number will cause the same problem too.
so the future version 0.8.9 should be avoid.

Please help us, and fuck the GFW!

------------------------
Taobao EDP 锟斤拷千
Simple is better, MK2

Dave Clements

Dec 3, 2011, 12:03:26 PM12/3/11
to nodejs
...what about sites about 64bit operating systems?

Diogo Resende

Dec 3, 2011, 2:46:00 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Ultrasurf should be your friend :)

---
Diogo R.

> Taobao EDP 苏千
> Simple is better, MK2

Marak Squires

Dec 3, 2011, 2:54:17 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for my American ignorance.

What is the significance of these numerical values which cause them to be "magic numbers" and subsequently banned?

Taobao EDP 苏千
Simple is better, MK2

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Marak Squires
Co-founder and Chief Evangelist
Nodejitsu, Inc.

Wayne Douglas

Dec 3, 2011, 2:57:58 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Marak Squires

Dec 3, 2011, 3:03:20 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Really?

Wayne Douglas

Dec 3, 2011, 3:04:57 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com

The Chinese gov dont acknowledge what they did and they want as few people in China to know about it.

Marak Squires

Dec 3, 2011, 3:13:42 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Ignoring any of the political aspects, banning arbitrary numbers is insane

Benjamin Gudehus

Dec 3, 2011, 3:30:57 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Now we know why the number 89 is bannen.

But why the number 64? I asked my chinese roommate, but he didn't know the answer.

Jann Horn

Dec 3, 2011, 3:34:13 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
2011/12/3 Benjamin Gudehus <hast...@googlemail.com>:

> Now we know why the number 89 is bannen.
>
> But why the number 64? I asked my chinese roommate, but he didn't know the
> answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989

"The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, also known as the June Fourth Incident"

Year: 89
Date: 6/4

ben

Dec 3, 2011, 3:33:39 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com

Benjamin Gudehus

Dec 3, 2011, 3:34:32 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
It was on June, 5th. That gives the number 65...?

Benjamin Gudehus

Dec 3, 2011, 3:36:13 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I see, thanks!

Diogo Resende

Dec 3, 2011, 4:21:16 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On 4 June 2007, the anniversary of the massacre, a notice reading,
"Paying tribute to the strongwilled mothers of 64"

---
Diogo R.

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 21:36:13 +0100, Benjamin Gudehus wrote:
> Ah, I see, thanks!
>
> 2011/12/3 Jann Horn
>

>> 2011/12/3 Benjamin Gudehus :

>>> Now we know why the number 89 is bannen.
>> >
>> > But why the number 64? I asked my chinese roommate, but he didn't
>> know the
>> > answer.
>>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989 [2]

>> "The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, also known as the June
>> Fourth Incident"
>>
>> Year: 89
>> Date: 6/4
>>
>> --

>> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/ [3]
>> Groups "nodejs" group.

>> nodejs+un...@googlegroups.com [6]

>> For more options, visit this group at

>> http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en [7]
>
> --
> Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/ [9]
> Groups "nodejs" group.
> nodejs+un...@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at

> http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en [11]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:hast...@googlemail.com
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Square_protests_of_1989
> [3] http://jobs.nodejs.org/
> [4]
> [5] mailto:nod...@googlegroups.com
> [6] mailto:nodejs%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> [7] http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en
> [8] mailto:jann...@googlemail.com
> [9] http://jobs.nodejs.org/
> [10]
> [11] http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs?hl=en?hl=en

Liam

Dec 3, 2011, 5:12:48 PM12/3/11
to nodejs
When your code is insane it doesn't function.

When a human is insane it probably will function.

When a society is insane it almost always functions; there are no
other kinds.

On Dec 3, 12:13 pm, Marak Squires <marak.squi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ignoring any of the political aspects, banning arbitrary numbers is *insane*
> .

> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Wayne Douglas <wa...@prjatk.com> wrote:
> > The Chinese gov dont acknowledge what they did and they want as few people
> > in China to know about it.

> > On Dec 3, 2011 8:03 PM, "Marak Squires" <marak.squi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Really?

> >> marak.squi...@gmail.com

> marak.squi...@gmail.com

Number 9

Dec 3, 2011, 5:44:35 PM12/3/11
to nodejs
Yes I love this aspect of humanity.

Like when they don't have 13th floors in buildings because the nights
templar were massacred on a certain day.
And who could forget the Intel® Pentium® III Processor 667 MHz because
if you number a processor 666 a beast will rise and mark eveyone on
there hands or foreheads.
(Apparently)

On Dec 3, 8:13 pm, Marak Squires <marak.squi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ignoring any of the political aspects, banning arbitrary numbers is *insane*
> .

> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Wayne Douglas <wa...@prjatk.com> wrote:
> > The Chinese gov dont acknowledge what they did and they want as few people
> > in China to know about it.

> > On Dec 3, 2011 8:03 PM, "Marak Squires" <marak.squi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Really?

> >> marak.squi...@gmail.com

> marak.squi...@gmail.com

Mark Hahn

Dec 3, 2011, 5:55:52 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
And who could forget the Intel® Pentium® III Processor 667 MHz because
if you number a processor 666 a beast will rise and mark eveyone on
there hands or foreheads.

Actually it was 666.66... MHz (1.5 ns clock) which does round off to 667.  No marketing person is going to give up a MHz.

Thomas Shinnick

Dec 3, 2011, 6:07:54 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
If possible, create a
    nodejs.org/dist/cn/
and populate with renamed files, e.g.
    node-v0.6.4.tar.gz     -->  node-20111202.tar.gz

Normally a designation of 'cn' would imply something about translation.  Here it would be a different sort of translation....

Insanity:
  because of TianAnMen, the Berlin Wall _could_ fall;
  because the Berlin Wall _did_ fall, TianAnMen can not be acknowledged

Bry

Dec 3, 2011, 6:18:06 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Why is China doing this? Node has done nothing wrong.

Cliffano Subagio

Dec 3, 2011, 6:20:15 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
"Please help us, change the version number quickly!
ps: the "89" magic number will cause the same problem too.
so the future version 0.8.9 should be avoid."

Instead of changing or avoiding version numbers, why not have a 'latest' version that is pointing to whatever the latest version is? So that masks the version number via http://nodejs.org/dist/latest/latest.ext .

Surely the filter in China doesn't inspect the content of the file for any existence of 64 or 89.

Benjamin Gudehus

Dec 3, 2011, 6:21:13 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Or node-zero-six-four.tar.gz.

Belleve Invis

Dec 3, 2011, 8:20:51 PM12/3/11
to nodejs
You are probably wrong. Python.org/download (shortest essential URL)
is blocked in 15th Sep. 2009, but Python 2.6.4 is released on 25th.
Ergo version number is not the key reason.

Also jQuery and JRuby also released v1.6.4 SEVERAL MONTHS AGO, nothing
happened to their site.

As for avoiding, I choose to use "latest" instead of ver. numbers.

On Dec 3, 11:44 pm, fengmk2 <feng...@gmail.com> wrote:
> because ...

Bruce Li

Dec 3, 2011, 8:33:58 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I can still access the site without a problem, I'm a China Telecom user from Xi'an, China. But as a professional developer in China, VPN or SSH is a must for living...

mscdex

Dec 3, 2011, 9:03:14 PM12/3/11
to nodejs
On Dec 3, 8:20 pm, Belleve Invis <typeof....@gmail.com> wrote:
> As for avoiding, I choose to use "latest" instead of ver. numbers.

For Windows users, you can always get at the latest stable standalone
binary via: http://nodejs.org/dist/latest/node.exe

Hsu Ping Feng

Dec 3, 2011, 9:31:11 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I think the rules of the GFW are based on ip and domain name, so the whole site was banned. Since all outgoing accesses were through the GFW, the only way now is to use secured proxies outside of the GFW.

2011/12/4 mscdex <msc...@gmail.com>
--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

AUFKLÄRUNG ist der Ausgang des Menschen aus seiner selbstverschuldeten Unmündigkeit. Unmündigkeit ist das Unvermögen, sich seines Verstandes ohne Leitung eines anderen zu bedienen. Selbstverschuldet ist diese Unmündigkeit, wenn die Ursache derselben nicht am Mangel des Verstandes, sondern der Entschließung und des Mutes liegt, sich seiner ohne Leitung eines andern zu bedienen. Sapere aude! Habe Mut, dich deines eigenen Verstandes zu bedienen! ist also der Wahlspruch der Aufklärung.

Shawn Meng

Dec 3, 2011, 9:32:33 PM12/3/11
to nodejs

I am a Chinese programmer and I have to say, we cannot make the
judgement that nodejs.org is blocked in China. Only quite a few
persons cannot open the site. We shouldn't be that sensitive and lead
the topic even more political.

GFW is really INSANE, but this is not the right place to fuck it.

On Dec 3, 11:44 pm, fengmk2 <feng...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Taobao EDP ǧ
> Simple is better, MK2

Yi Tan

Dec 3, 2011, 10:25:37 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com

+1
tested by mates in shanghai, guangzhou (china telecom, mobile), beijing(unicom). all accesses to nodejs.org are fine.

it might be a issue with hangzhou local isp. and i wonder since you can use gmail, you could visitnodejs via your proxy.

Phillip Neumann

Dec 3, 2011, 11:47:06 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com

I would definitly block nr. 69.. :P

--

__________________
pneu...@gmail.com

Ronald Aai

Dec 3, 2011, 5:28:38 PM12/3/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

    it's working nodejs.org is up in china. it's not down.

--
Ronald Aai
Sent with Sparrow

Dean Landolt

Dec 4, 2011, 8:04:35 AM12/4/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 10:44 AM, fengmk2 <fen...@gmail.com> wrote:
because the number "64" have been filtered by CHINA GFW.
The new nodejs version 0.6.4 has cause nodejs.org blocked in China.

Our chinese nodejs developers visit nodejs.org website is RESET now!

Please help us, change the version number quickly!

ps: the "89" magic number will cause the same problem too.
so the future version 0.8.9 should be avoid.

Please help us, and fuck the GFW!

<troll>

Obviously the only long term solution is for you to move to a freedom-loving country like Amurica that would never think of censoring the internets.

Tim Becker

Dec 4, 2011, 10:42:53 AM12/4/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 00:18, Bry <brandon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is China doing this? Node has done nothing wrong.

You'll just have to suck it up and live with it. Dealing with China is
nearly as bad as dealing with Apple. If they say you've got a bug,
you've got a bug and they won't allow you in the AppStore, even if
you've got proof it's in their API :)

Bosn Ma

Dec 6, 2011, 12:52:17 AM12/6/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
however, it will make network very slow...

but really better than 404 error page.

Yang Ye

Dec 6, 2011, 10:43:12 AM12/6/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
The thing with GFW is that it is simply based on text filtering. Once it find a key words (with a bit smart in 64 or six four or six 4 perhaps), it will reset the connection.

And it makes initial loading google homepage or gmail very slow but once connected, speed becomes normal and may go wrong some time later.

We live with it when we are inside the border.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Bosn Ma <mrb...@gmail.com> wrote:
however, it will make network very slow...

but really better than 404 error page.

Ryan Snowden

Dec 6, 2011, 7:37:59 PM12/6/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Feel free to issue them a green card ;-)

cayasso

Dec 7, 2011, 10:12:17 AM12/7/11
to nodejs
Node is 0.6.5 now, so I guess this is no longer an issue?
http://blog.nodejs.org/2011/12/04/node-v0-6-5/

JB

Cooper Du

Dec 6, 2011, 10:05:05 PM12/6/11
to nodejs
i don't know about this.

but in china, 64bit cpu aliased as double 32bit cpu.

On Dec 4, 1:03 am, Dave Clements <huperekch...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...what about sites about 64bit operating systems?

Arunkumar Velusamy

Dec 7, 2011, 10:17:50 AM12/7/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hai,

please any one tell me how to do the association in sequelize. give with example. or how to join two table in sequelize

Regards,

Arunkumar.V

Photon Infotech (P) Ltd