Node v0.1.104

r...@tinyclouds.org

Aug 13, 2010, 12:07:13 PM8/13/10
to nodejs
2010.08.13, Version 0.1.104

* Various bug fixes (console, querystring, require)

* Set cwd for child processes (Bert Belder)

* Tab completion for readline (Trent Mick)

* process.title getter/setter for OSX, Linux, Cygwin.
(Rasmus Andersson, Bert Belder)

* Upgrade V8 to 2.3.6

Download: http://nodejs.org/dist/node-v0.1.104.tar.gz

Website: http://nodejs.org/docs/v0.1.104

Documentation: http://nodejs.org/docs/v0.1.104/api.html

Marak Squires

Aug 13, 2010, 12:10:13 PM8/13/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
you rock ry!

could anyone explain to me what this means (in a sentence or two)?

* process.title getter/setter for OSX, Linux, Cygwin.
       (Rasmus Andersson, Bert Belder)

r...@tinyclouds.org

Aug 13, 2010, 12:12:33 PM8/13/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Marak Squires <marak....@gmail.com> wrote:
> you rock ry!
> could anyone explain to me what this means (in a sentence or two)?
> * process.title getter/setter for OSX, Linux, Cygwin.
>        (Rasmus Andersson, Bert Belder)

It means you can do

process.title = "mydaemon"

and it will show up as "mydaemon" instead of "node" in top.

Stephen Belanger

Aug 13, 2010, 12:15:30 PM8/13/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
That actually sounds pretty handy for those of us running more than one node process at a time. :)

Marak Squires

Aug 13, 2010, 12:27:03 PM8/13/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Ohh sweet!

That actually sounds uber useful for what we are doing with nodejitsu.

We can start doing things a bit smarter then just : ps -ax | grep node

Marshall Culpepper

Aug 13, 2010, 12:40:59 PM8/13/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Really nice hack-fu on the process.title implementation for OSX!

Marak Squires

Aug 13, 2010, 12:52:53 PM8/13/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I take that back, title isn't changed on OSX when doing ps. hrmm

r...@tinyclouds.org

Aug 13, 2010, 12:55:51 PM8/13/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Marak Squires <marak....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I take that back, title isn't changed on OSX when doing ps. hrmm

In osx it only changes the title in the activity manager.

Stuart Carnie

Aug 13, 2010, 1:01:56 PM8/13/10
to nodejs
Couldn't wait, updated homebrew formula and it has been merged.

On Aug 13, 9:27 am, Marak Squires <marak.squi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ohh sweet!
>
> That actually sounds uber useful for what we are doing with nodejitsu.
>
> We can start doing things a bit smarter then just : ps -ax | grep node
>

> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 12:12 PM, <r...@tinyclouds.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Marak Squires <marak.squi...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > you rock ry!
> > > could anyone explain to me what this means (in a sentence or two)?
> > > * process.title getter/setter for OSX, Linux, Cygwin.
> > >        (Rasmus Andersson, Bert Belder)
>
> > It means you can do
>
> >  process.title = "mydaemon"
>
> > and it will show up as "mydaemon" instead of "node" in top.
>
> > --
> > .

Emerson Macedo

Aug 13, 2010, 2:28:40 PM8/13/10
to nodejs
Nice work. I'll surely update today ...

Rasmus Andersson

Aug 13, 2010, 5:21:36 PM8/13/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 18:52, Marak Squires <marak....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I take that back, title isn't changed on OSX when doing ps. hrmm

It's not possible on OS X unfortunately. The only way you can achieve
something similar is to overwrite argv, but that is both über hacky
and limits the length of the title to the length of argv, so we
decided not to implement the hack but only the higher-level process
title, done with Launch Services (which in fact is also a hack. ha,
ha). Creds goes to the Chromium team for the Launch Services title
hack/setting (credited in the source and docs).

--
Rasmus Andersson