Node.js hosting similar to Heroku

TiagoP

Sep 9, 2010, 10:11:18 AM9/9/10
to nodejs
Hi,

Is there anything similar to Heroku for Node.js?

Is anyone developing a solution like that or interested in doing so?

Thanks

Scott González

Sep 9, 2010, 11:34:58 AM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
http://blog.heroku.com/archives/2010/4/28/node_js_support_experimental/

TiagoP

Sep 9, 2010, 11:36:01 AM9/9/10
to nodejs
Heroku is very expensive.

On Sep 9, 4:34 pm, Scott González <scott.gonza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://blog.heroku.com/archives/2010/4/28/node_js_support_experimental/
>

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 10:11 AM, TiagoP <pix...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Is there anything similar to Heroku for Node.js?
>
> > Is anyone developing a solution like that or interested in doing so?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > --
> > .

Ryan Gahl

Sep 9, 2010, 11:56:01 AM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Amazon just release micro instances today: http://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2010/09/09/announcing-micro-instances-for-amazon-ec2/

Very affordable + total control = no brainer.

Also, you can further reduce that cost by purchasing reserved instances (3 year term == ~ $7/mo + bandwidth).

fuzzy spoon

Sep 9, 2010, 11:39:11 AM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I have only seen cloud hosting for node, not so much git driven
deployment and slugs and so on, but cloud hosting none the less?

Anything specific?

TiagoP

Sep 9, 2010, 12:15:21 PM9/9/10
to nodejs
You still have to install and manage it.

Maybe using those small instances (cheap but maybe not fast) and
develop a heroku-solution would be great.

Your thoughts?

On Sep 9, 4:56 pm, Ryan Gahl <ryan.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Amazon just release micro instances today:http://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2010/09/09/announcing-micro...
>
> Very affordable + total control = no brainer.
>
> Also, you can further reduce that cost by purchasing reserved instances (3
> year term == ~ $7/mo + bandwidth).
>

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 10:36 AM, TiagoP <pix...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Heroku is very expensive.
>
> > On Sep 9, 4:34 pm, Scott González <scott.gonza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >http://blog.heroku.com/archives/2010/4/28/node_js_support_experimental/

Ethan Stillman

Sep 9, 2010, 12:54:41 PM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
nodejitsu.com - awesome crew.

Ethan Stillman
617.460.5544
@estill01
http://bit.ly/ethanblog

fuzzy spoon

Sep 9, 2010, 12:57:11 PM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Well you can also mention http://www.joyent.com :)

Arnout Kazemier

Sep 9, 2010, 1:04:12 PM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
The only thing you would need to do is create a post-update hook for git that automatically updates and restarts node.js..
It's not that hard to achieve on your own.

Arnout Kazemier
in...@3rd-Eden.com

James Carr

Sep 9, 2010, 1:49:11 PM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Whoa! That comes out to around $15 a month... thats dirt cheap and
good because hopefully you'll have the cashflow to support expanding
beyond micro instances when you need it.

There's also Joyent and Nodjitsu.

Thanks,
James

ono

Sep 9, 2010, 3:17:49 PM9/9/10
to nodejs
If that's so simple, how come there's no heroku competitor? ;)
> i...@3rd-Eden.com

Arnout Kazemier

Sep 9, 2010, 3:20:18 PM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
you mean like http://no.de? ;)

ono

Sep 9, 2010, 3:24:26 PM9/9/10
to nodejs
Give me an invite and I'll tell you :)

Really, if you know how the system is done, can you please explain as
detailed as possible? I'd appreciate!

Thanks!

On Sep 9, 8:20 pm, Arnout Kazemier <i...@3rd-eden.com> wrote:
> you mean likehttp://no.de?;)

Orlando Vazquez

Sep 9, 2010, 4:21:18 PM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
It will be similar to what was available during the node knockout
contest, i.e. `git push` deployment, system analytics and
instrumentation. Stay tumed. :)

--
Orlando Vazquez

Marak Squires

Sep 9, 2010, 6:55:11 PM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
i heard the guys over @ www.nodejitsu.com were rolling something like that with a 100% node.js code base

Carl S. Yestrau Jr.

Sep 9, 2010, 7:03:39 PM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
You could go slicehost and just build from source. Slap a frontend
(ngnix, haproxy, etc...) and add more slices as needed.

mscdex

Sep 9, 2010, 8:12:18 PM9/9/10
to nodejs
On Sep 9, 7:03 pm, "Carl S. Yestrau Jr." <c...@featureblend.com>
wrote:
> You could go slicehost and just build from source. Slap a frontend
> (ngnix, haproxy, etc...) and add more slices as needed.

As long as you don't do anything with WebSockets.

ono

Sep 9, 2010, 8:28:30 PM9/9/10
to nodejs
mscdex, what do you recommend?

mscdex

Sep 9, 2010, 9:15:26 PM9/9/10
to nodejs
On Sep 9, 8:28 pm, ono <pix...@gmail.com> wrote:
> mscdex, what do you recommend?

I haven't had to purchase node.js hosting yet, so I can't really give
any recommendations. I was merely commenting on the fact that you
can't do anything WebSocket-related when it comes to nginx, haproxy,
or most likely any other reverse proxy that doesn't have a workaround
for WebSocket's latest non-HTTP handshake.

Stephen Belanger

Sep 9, 2010, 9:36:50 PM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Any idea what browser version make use of this handshake? I've been testing a node server behind an apache reverse proxy for awhile now, and it's worked fine for me in Firefox and Chrome. Does the issue only appear in dev builds at the moment?

mscdex

Sep 9, 2010, 10:27:05 PM9/9/10
to nodejs
On Sep 9, 9:36 pm, Stephen Belanger <cyruzdr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any idea what browser version make use of this handshake? I've been testing
> a node server behind an apache reverse proxy for awhile now, and it's worked
> fine for me in Firefox and Chrome. Does the issue only appear in dev builds
> at the moment?

Any browser that implements draft76 or newer of the WebSocket
protocol. So that would include the likes of Firefox 4, Chrome 6+, and
any browser using the Flash WebSocket applet.

Stephen Belanger

Sep 9, 2010, 10:42:46 PM9/9/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Ah, good to know. Fortunately, I only need to use the reverse proxy on my dev server, since I'm sharing several projects on the same system and some of them rely on PHP. :(

aaronblohowiak

Sep 10, 2010, 12:26:03 AM9/10/10
to nodejs
you can use TCP-based load-balancing, which haproxy has support for,
but then you dont get *any* of the http features from haproxy

Marak Squires

Sep 10, 2010, 12:30:18 AM9/10/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
v0.3.0 of http://github.com/nodejitsu/node-http-proxy just got pushed.

should be able to help doing http proxying. it's also able to proxy inside of existing http.Server instances, which is nice since it will work with Connect and other frameworks.

currently working on getting some websocket and socket.io tests going.

mscdex

Sep 10, 2010, 1:04:28 AM9/10/10
to nodejs
On Sep 10, 12:26 am, aaronblohowiak <aaron.blohow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> you can use TCP-based load-balancing, which haproxy has support for,
> but then you dont get *any* of the http features from haproxy

Right, TCP mode makes it *almost* useless for most common web server
setups. Haproxy works great with draft75 and non-WebSocket traffic in
HTTP mode, but I just wish someone would incorporate a temporary
workaround for WebSockets since there are popular browsers that have
been using draft76 for some time now and it doesn't look like the
protocol is going to get closer to HTTP compliant handshakes anytime
soon.

Paul Querna

Sep 10, 2010, 1:53:48 AM9/10/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
You might be interested in the cast in long run:
<http://github.com/cloudkick/cast>
Its not quite ready for its first public release, but hopefully soon
(tm) we will kick out the first release and get some blog posts & docs
going on it.

Arnout Kazemier

Sep 10, 2010, 3:44:07 AM9/10/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
The only reason why people haven't build another service around it that heroku and other web hosting automagically
allocates hosting space on the server, building something like your self takes time. But implementing github based
push support is not hard. As the git and svn hooks are designed for stuff like this.