Node v0.6.0

Ryan Dahl

Nov 5, 2011, 5:26:45 AM11/5/11
to nodejs
2011.11.04, Version 0.6.0 (stable)

* print undefined on undefined values in REPL (Nathan Rajlich)

* doc improvements (koichik, seebees, bnoordhuis,
Maciej Małecki, Jacob Kragh)

* support native addon loading in windows (Bert Belder)

* rename getNetworkInterfaces() to networkInterfaces() (bnoordhuis)

* add pending accepts knob for windows (igorzi)

* http.request(url.parse(x)) (seebees)

* #1929 zlib Respond to 'resume' events properly (isaacs)

* stream.pipe: Remove resume and pause events

* test fixes for windows (igorzi)

* build system improvements (bnoordhuis)

* #1936 tls: does not emit 'end' from EncryptedStream (koichik)

* #758 tls: add address(), remoteAddress/remotePort

* #1399 http: emit Error object after .abort() (bnoordhuis)

* #1999 fs: make mkdir() default to 0777 permissions (bnoordhuis)

* #2001 fix pipe error codes

* #2002 Socket.write should reset timeout timer

* stdout and stderr are blocking when associated with file too.

* remote debugger support on windows (Bert Belder)

* convenience methods for zlib (Matt Robenolt)

* process.kill support on windows (igorzi)

* process.uptime() support on windows (igorzi)

* Return IPv4 addresses before IPv6 addresses from getaddrinfo

* util.inspect improvements (Nathan Rajlich)

* cluster module api changes

* Downgrade V8 to 3.6.6.6

Download: http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.6.0/node-v0.6.0.tar.gz

Windows Executable: http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.6.0/node.exe

Website: http://nodejs.org/docs/v0.6.0/

Documentation: http://nodejs.org/docs/v0.6.0/api/

Fedor Indutny

Nov 5, 2011, 5:34:29 AM11/5/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
For those of you who are accidently Russian - same post on russian: http://habrahabr.ru/blogs/nodejs/131944/

Cheers,
Fedor.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Jeroen Janssen

Nov 5, 2011, 5:38:07 AM11/5/11
to nodejs
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for all the hard work on making this happen.
You guys are awesome!

Best regards,

Jeroen Janssen

Mike Pilsbury

Nov 5, 2011, 8:22:42 AM11/5/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
npm (1.0.103) won't install with Node 0.6.0, as it has a dependency on 0.4 or 0.5. There's an issue open (https://github.com/isaacs/npm/issues/1657), or for the desperate a quick change to npm's package.json node engine dependency declaration is all that is needed.

Outsider

Nov 5, 2011, 9:01:22 AM11/5/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Really good job!!
Thanks Node core team. <3

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Mike Pilsbury <mike.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
npm (1.0.103) won't install with Node 0.6.0, as it has a dependency on 0.4 or 0.5. There's an issue open (https://github.com/isaacs/npm/issues/1657), or for the desperate a quick change to npm's package.json node engine dependency declaration is all that is needed.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Outsider
Front-end & Server-side Developer

Twitter : @Outsideris
*************************************************/

arunoda.s...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2011, 9:07:22 AM11/5/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks node guys.
Really cool  to have an Windows port. Great work guys.
Welcome to truely Cross Platform NodeJS. :)

Marco Aurélio Campos (Gome)

Nov 5, 2011, 9:20:51 AM11/5/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
thumbs up!

Dave Clements

Nov 5, 2011, 11:12:59 AM11/5/11
to nodejs
like an early Christmas

On Nov 5, 1:20 pm, Marco Aurélio Campos (Gome)
<maurelio.cam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thumbs up!

Mikeal Rogers

Nov 5, 2011, 1:10:08 PM11/5/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Removing pause/resume at the last minute, not the best idea.

Any userland stream that was extending stream.Stream now breaks resume propagation. I do agree that we can get rid of the resume event, it does the exact same thing as "drain", but we don't propagate drain through the pipe() chain now. write() will never be called again in a paused pipe() chain.
I wrote a fix.

We also need to add two things to the migration notes for 0.6.

The first is that stream authors MUST return true or false if their stream is paused. In 0.4 they could be lazy because we propagated a "pause" event.

The second is that, once this patch lands, users who write their own streams MUST handle the "drain" event and not depend on the "resume" event as it's been removed. Intermediate filter streams previously could have only uses the "resume" event because pipe() handled it.

-Mikeal

Glenn Block

Nov 5, 2011, 1:22:02 PM11/5/11
to Ryan Dahl, nodejs
Awesome!

Sent from my Windows Phone
Nov 8, 2011, 9:50:36 AM11/8/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Great that performance still improved. What i am wondering is that
Write IO performance dropped while it almost doubled on Windows. Any
ideas why, or official statements about that?

Kind regards

---
Thomas FRITZ
web http://fritzthomas.com
twitter http://twitter.com/thomasf

Murvin Lai

Nov 8, 2011, 2:00:52 PM11/8/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
great.  I have tried it.
The only problem is, which is not related to Node but the npm modules, is that some modules are throwing warning when doing NPM update.  especially the querystring one.  :)

Stephan Bardubitzki

Nov 8, 2011, 6:55:06 PM11/8/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Can't install modules via npm. For example:

npm install express

results in this error message:

node.js:201
        throw e; // process.nextTick error, or 'error' event on first tick
              ^
Error: No such module
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/utils/config-defs.js:5:21)
    at Module._compile (module.js:432:26)
    at Object..js (module.js:450:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:351:31)
    at Function._load (module.js:310:12)
    at Module.require (module.js:357:17)
    at require (module.js:368:17)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/node_modules/npm/lib/utils/ini.js:40:18)
    at Module._compile (module.js:432:26)
    at Object..js (module.js:450:10)

Hsu Ping Feng

Nov 8, 2011, 9:39:40 PM11/8/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I think you should update your npm first. The current version is 1.0.104 and it's ok with node-v0.6.0.

2011/11/9 Stephan Bardubitzki <bar...@gmail.com>

--
AUFKLÄRUNG ist der Ausgang des Menschen aus seiner selbstverschuldeten Unmündigkeit. Unmündigkeit ist das Unvermögen, sich seines Verstandes ohne Leitung eines anderen zu bedienen. Selbstverschuldet ist diese Unmündigkeit, wenn die Ursache derselben nicht am Mangel des Verstandes, sondern der Entschließung und des Mutes liegt, sich seiner ohne Leitung eines andern zu bedienen. Sapere aude! Habe Mut, dich deines eigenen Verstandes zu bedienen! ist also der Wahlspruch der Aufklärung.

Rambo

Nov 10, 2011, 4:30:42 PM11/10/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Any documentation explaining the cluster module in more detail?

Garen Torikian

Nov 10, 2011, 6:58:29 PM11/10/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
You mean besides this: http://nodejs.org/docs/latest/api/cluster.html ?

What more detail are you curious about?

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Rambo <demi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Any documentation explaining the cluster module in more detail?

Hsu Ping Feng

Nov 10, 2011, 11:45:24 PM11/10/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
also the source code in github:

it's not complex.

Rambo

Nov 11, 2011, 8:20:27 AM11/11/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Maybe I'm not looking for documentation, but perhaps an article explaining how to use it with real world examples? I'm not familiar with that api at all.

Thomas Fritz

Nov 11, 2011, 8:46:46 AM11/11/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Is there any response regarding the performance drop on linux write
performance. It is not something i am concerned about, but it is the
only metric which performance dropped in the 0.6 release and just on
linux - on Windows write IO perf. is almost 2 times faster. I am just
wondering if anyone knows why this has dropped and if there is a
solution in future releases?

regards

2011/11/11 Rambo <demi...@gmail.com>:

> Maybe I'm not looking for documentation, but perhaps an article explaining
> how to use it with real world examples? I'm not familiar with that api at
> all.

Ben Noordhuis

Nov 11, 2011, 10:08:00 AM11/11/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 14:46, Thomas Fritz <frit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any response regarding the performance drop on linux write
> performance. It is not something i am concerned about, but it is the
> only metric which performance dropped in the 0.6 release and just on
> linux - on Windows write IO perf. is almost 2 times faster. I am just
> wondering if anyone knows why this has dropped and if there is a
> solution in future releases?

Guy that ran the benchmarks here. There are a number of things at play here:

1) We now use native Windows APIs instead of Cygwin's emulation layer.

2) Asynchronous file I/O on Windows is in a much better shape than on
the Unices.

3) The drop in performance may have been local to the system I ran the
benchmark on. The 0.4 and 0.6 numbers on my local system, for example,
are much closer (but then my local system isn't high-end server gear).

Incidentally, I profiled our I/O benchmark yesterday. It's not that
raw I/O performance has dropped, it's that the overhead of getting the
data into JS land seems to have increased.

Track https://github.com/joyent/node/issues/2071 if you want to keep posted.