Why not Jetty?

Jonathan Chetwynd

Jul 3, 2010, 4:55:15 AM7/3/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Why not Jetty?

both support asynchronous connections,

Jetty requires java, php etc...

would like an easy to find 'official' 'maintained' chart of supported
features, requirements, benchmarks etc

best

~:"

apologies for the flood of mails, seem to be having difficulty finding
great subject titles.

cloudhead

Jul 3, 2010, 6:12:34 AM7/3/10
to nodejs
I don't think it's worth comparing to be honest. Jetty is Java.

On Jul 3, 10:55 am, Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetw...@btinternet.com>

曹江华

Jul 3, 2010, 6:14:29 AM7/3/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
nodejs VS netty.

http://www.caojianghua.com

wewe.tom

Jul 3, 2010, 9:38:30 AM7/3/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
oh 汉字

Bradley Meck

Jul 3, 2010, 10:50:25 AM7/3/10
to nodejs
In a large part the advantages to using Jetty are against the concepts
of Asynchronous behavior. Most Java libraries are blocking or
threaded. The ability to run on app engine is a plus however. Java and
Javascript are also vastly different in rapid prototyping an
application (they aren't even related).

On Jul 3, 8:38 am, "wewe.tom" <cook...@gmail.com> wrote:
> oh 汉字

Marak Squires

Jul 3, 2010, 10:54:10 AM7/3/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I like apples, why do you guys like oranges?

Marco Rogers

Jul 3, 2010, 2:57:35 PM7/3/10
to nodejs
Jonathan, I'll try to provide a more helpful answer for you and others
who are wondering along these lines.

Node isn't just about async connections. All i/o operations in node
should be asynchronous (obviously with exceptions where necessary).
The benefit of Node as a platform is that it exposes apis that
actually make it difficult to do sync i/o in your code. It would be
nice to take advantage of the mountains of useful Java libraries out
there. But as Bradley points out, most of them have blocking i/o
calls and thus aren't suitable for the environment Ryan has created
with node.

Also, node is built for programming with javascript. It's not only a
great language once you get away from the warts of the browser
environment, it also has first class functions and a familiar callback
paradigm that work great for async programming. With that in mind,
node is built on Google's v8 javascript engine because it's the
fastest, most advanced js engine available right now. I love the
seamless Java integration that Rhino offers, but IMO those heavy apis
don't mesh well with the javascript programming style. In contrast,
the v8 api allows wrapping fast C libraries in a sensible way and
exposing the with native javascript interfaces. That's pretty
awesome.

At the risk of irritating the others on this list, I think it would be
awesome if these ideas were ported *sensibly* to another platform.
Rhino is a great js engine despite being slower than v8 (it's still
faster than JRuby and Jython I believe). And Jetty does have nice
facilities for async network i/o. But other pieces still need to be
filled in. And ideally it would also provide some api and paradigm
for using existing sync java libraries in an async fashion (see Node
addons, libeio, etc).

With all of that being said, check out RingoJS. I've heard good things
about it. http://ringojs.org/wiki/

:Marco

On Jul 3, 10:54 am, Marak Squires <marak.squi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I like apples, why do you guys like oranges?
>
> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Bradley Meck <bradley.m...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > In a large part the advantages to using Jetty are against the concepts
> > of Asynchronous behavior. Most Java libraries are blocking or
> > threaded. The ability to run on app engine is a plus however. Java and
> > Javascript are also vastly different in rapid prototyping an
> > application (they aren't even related).
>
> > On Jul 3, 8:38 am, "wewe.tom" <cook...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > oh 汉字
>
> > --
> > .

Jonathan Chetwynd

Jul 3, 2010, 5:47:44 PM7/3/10
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks to all respondents,

I do feel that a chart** together with a text description, as
commented, but more formal, would help develop greater understanding
of intention.

apart from the claimed instability, there appear very good reasons for
implementation on my projects...

connections to eXist-db would be great.

~:"

** added nodejs here, needs further editing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_server_software