Mozilla Game On: hours to go

Jonathan Chetwynd

Jan 9, 2011, 9:43:56 PM1/9/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Mozilla Game On: hours to go

Open web games

Peepo.com is entered for Mozilla Game On[1]

and there's just 24 hours to remove any bugs.

please take a look [2] and email me: offlist.

deadline Monday evening latest!

node.js & redis rock!

Has anyone else entered?

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd

[1] https://gaming.mozillalabs.com/

[2] requires recent version of standards-compliant browser such as
Safari, Chrome, Mozilla or Opera

Floby

Jan 10, 2011, 5:11:40 AM1/10/11
to nodejs

am I the only one not to get it ? ^^
I entered too. Node + MongDB.

On Jan 10, 3:43 am, Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetw...@btinternet.com>

Jonathan Chetwynd

Jan 10, 2011, 5:54:31 AM1/10/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com

moved 'How to play' link to the front page,

it's not a video or console type game....

cheers

~:"

Arnout Kazemier

Jan 10, 2011, 6:00:52 AM1/10/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
If you need to instruct users with a video to tell them how something works
you really need to do fix your usability. So if you have no bugs to fix, i would
suggest focusing on that to create a better overall experience.

Just my 2 cents..

Jonathan Chetwynd

Jan 10, 2011, 6:37:22 AM1/10/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Arnout,

great catch, please have a play,
peepo.com
and let me know if you find a usability problem.

I think this is not about usability,
but gameplay, Go is about 3000 years old,
so it is not a video or console type game.

cheers

~:"

Floby

Jan 11, 2011, 6:44:26 AM1/11/11
to nodejs
I did get the clicking part. I didn't recognize it as a game of Go
(maybe because I never played it) so here's the reason why I didn't
get it

On Jan 10, 12:37 pm, Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetw...@btinternet.com>

Jonathan Chetwynd

Jan 11, 2011, 7:01:09 AM1/11/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Floby,

did you win?

anyway thanks,

because of your concerns I added a short introduction and some links.

I had intended to leave the interface clean, but the game is
probably too abstract for most.

Jonathan

Fran6

Jan 11, 2011, 11:53:47 AM1/11/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Great job Jonathan!

I'm thinking to participate to this contest too!
I created a multiplayer snowball fight using HTML5 technologies and of course using the great NodeJS:

If someone can give me some feedback I will really appreciate it!

Fran6

Jonathan Chetwynd

Jan 11, 2011, 1:17:07 PM1/11/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Fran6

Much enjoyed by Phoebe,
she may bring a facebook cohort later...

had you considered keyboard, touchscreen and hands-free players?
ie beyond mouse.

scaleability, ie small for mobile, medium for ipad, large and
enormous...
SVG has this built in, canvas is a dark art for me, so cannot advise.

how about AI robots?
ie for when no one's about...

anyway great fun

Jonathan

Francis Houle

Jan 11, 2011, 2:44:59 PM1/11/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
> she may bring a facebook cohort later...

I hope so!

> had  you considered keyboard, touchscreen and hands-free players?
> ie beyond  mouse.

To make it work on the iPad, we only need to add a button to throw the balls.

> scaleability, ie  small for mobile, medium for ipad, large and enormous...
> SVG has this built in, canvas is a dark art for me, so cannot advise.

We resize the canvas based on the size of the browser viewport.

> how about AI robots?
> ie for when no one's about...

Yes thats we should have done, dummy users to throw at when there is
no one in the game.

> anyway great fun

Thanks!

Scott Elcomb

Jan 12, 2011, 3:12:07 AM1/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Jonathan Chetwynd
<j.che...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Mozilla Game On: hours to go
>
> Open web games
>
> Peepo.com  is entered for Mozilla Game On[1]
<snip>
> Has anyone else entered?

From one Go (and Node) fan to another, good luck in the competition!
I saw the 7-day tweet and thought to give it a shot; 'was planning to
enter a cut-down arcade version of "Gates Of Sirius"* but didn't get
finished on time and made too many compromises in the rush. Ah well,
maybe next year.

All the best,
- Scott.

* My space RPG (here without the RPG, lol): <http://www.gatesofsirius.com/>

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/   @psema4

  Member of the Pirate Party of Canada
  http://www.pirateparty.ca/

Stefan Zehe

Jan 12, 2011, 4:27:50 AM1/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
> --
Does not work at the moment. Always zero player online :(

Mit freundlichen Gr��en

--
Stefan Zehe
0951 - 510 908 106