realfreemarket spewing Node hatred?

Shripad K

Dec 12, 2011, 8:45:37 AM12/12/11
to nodejs

Jake Verbaten

Dec 12, 2011, 9:22:11 AM12/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Note those articles mainly attack startups that don't make rational decisions rather the node.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Shripad K <assortme...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

billywhizz

Dec 12, 2011, 9:50:54 AM12/12/11
to nodejs
hahahaha. this nutcase really made me chuckle. i feel sorry for the
poor fools that ever hire such a deluded head-in-the-sand luddite. i
feel like giving him a chip to balance out the enormous one on his
other shoulder...

On Dec 12, 2:22 pm, Jake Verbaten <rayn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Note those articles mainly attack startups that don't make rational
> decisions rather the node.

Bradley Meck

Dec 12, 2011, 10:41:20 AM12/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
He does make some valid points, but seems to ignore the environments surrounding other projects (IE. Async ASP is not happy with static classes from C# if you share memory). Either way, I think we should take the time to read his issues and work on the problems he presents if they are appropriate. Complaining about debugging threads vs an event loop is somewhat odd though... Any way you want to look at it, Node has filled a role that has been lacking in other languages / environments / etc. by having a opinionated goal of async design (one could argue Erlang has a similar mindset) while maintaining an approachable language (in both development time and learning curve).

Martin Wawrusch

Dec 12, 2011, 10:51:12 AM12/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
" but I’m not making a full-on commitment to that statement, because I haven’t tried node.js yet. "

How can anyone be taken seriously who hasn't even tried node.js, let alone goodies like npm? Same goes for his tirades against funded start-ups. It's always easy to criticize from the outside without having skin in the game.

Reminds me a bit of the 2 old guys from the Muppet show...

And using Asp.net Async as a reference against async programming is beyond ridiculous. It has been designed for fringe cases (file downloads) and is rather cumbersome to use (at least until the new async keyword appears in the next c# version) which is why it is so rarely used.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 7:41 AM, Bradley Meck <bradle...@gmail.com> wrote:
He does make some valid points, but seems to ignore the environments surrounding other projects (IE. Async ASP is not happy with static classes from C# if you share memory). Either way, I think we should take the time to read his issues and work on the problems he presents if they are appropriate. Complaining about debugging threads vs an event loop is somewhat odd though... Any way you want to look at it, Node has filled a role that has been lacking in other languages / environments / etc. by having a opinionated goal of async design (one could argue Erlang has a similar mindset) while maintaining an approachable language (in both development time and learning curve).

Nick

Dec 12, 2011, 11:03:30 AM12/12/11
to nodejs
He uses the word psychopath a lot. I do not think that word means what
he thinks it means.

That said, he comes off as a self-aggrandizing jerk who says very
little bad about node.js. Much of what he writes has merit, but is
couched in really stupid rhetoric.

Tane Piper

Dec 12, 2011, 11:31:59 AM12/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a server-side David Mark.

I wouldn't actually be surprised if it was him (and please just go
google about him and alt.lang.javascript if you want some background)

Jake Verbaten

Dec 12, 2011, 11:38:20 AM12/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Tane Piper <piper...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sounds like a server-side David Mark.

I wouldn't actually be surprised if it was him (and please just go
google about him and alt.lang.javascript if you want some background)

David mark has a strange character, but he's not an idiot.

I think that's a totally unfair comparison.

Nathan Stott

Dec 12, 2011, 11:43:30 AM12/12/11
to nodejs
Those who post about how everyone they meet are psychopaths are
probably psychopaths or sociopaths themselves.

Karl Tiedt

Dec 12, 2011, 12:06:05 PM12/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Stranger characters that cant seen beyond the ends of their own noses
and only believe they are the only ones that matter/can ever be
correct might as well be idiots

-Karl Tiedt

Bradley Meck

Dec 12, 2011, 2:35:23 PM12/12/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
It was not an attempt to argue against async programming; my statement was meant to present an issue that Node.js fills which is currently hard in other environments. If we want to go into the depths of async programming in C# we can talk about delegates, event triggers, etc. but you come to the same problems as Node does but with slightly longer dev time and working in an environment that is not always happy with non-blocking code in multiple contexts. I haven't delved too much into async and await in C#, and they look promising; but thread local memory in static classes has hit me before when working with ASP.net and attempting to do multithreaded producer/consumers via event triggers (trying to do client side joins via Linq). Many languages suffer the same affliction of expecting threads which causes chasms when you try to perform non-blocking behavior. My choice of C# was an experience in a previous job that came to mind, but it is not the only situation that may exist.

billywhizz

Dec 13, 2011, 5:06:28 PM12/13/11
to nodejs
have a read through this guys blog and see his response to the
criticism of his article. he is clearly insane... i really feel for
whoever hired him.

Marak Squires

Dec 13, 2011, 5:29:27 PM12/13/11
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I have a certain bizarre admiration for people who have a tenuous grasp of the english language and technology, but still feel they should write strongly worded blog posts about things they don't understand.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Marak Squires
Co-founder and Chief Evangelist