Use another forum system ?

Sylvain

Jul 14, 2008, 2:25:39 PM7/14/08
to No Thirst Software User Forum
Hi,

I just saw the question about the creation of another forum for the
other No Thirst Software software. Is there any plan to move the "No
Thirst Software" Forum to another forum system such as vBulletin,
phpBB, etc.

Google forum feature is nice but very limited. it miss a lot of
advanced features (topic subscription, poll, etc.) that I guess will
be required with the increase of members.

Sylvain

Kevin Hoctor

Jul 14, 2008, 2:38:53 PM7/14/08
to no-thirst...@googlegroups.com

Sylvain,

There are no immediate plans to move the forum. I've had some bad
experiences with other companies that have used phpBB (I don't know
about vBulletin) and that's why we went with Google Groups to start.
Get Satisfaction is nice, but lacks an easy way to respond via email.
We are looking at adding another forum for other discussions and may
choose a different tool in the future.

Peace,

Kevin Hoctor
ke...@nothirst.com
No Thirst Software LLC
http://nothirst.com
http://kevinhoctor.blogspot.com

JGar

Jul 15, 2008, 2:11:10 PM7/15/08
to No Thirst Software User Forum
I liked the Get Satisfaction forum. It looked nice and the RSS feed
actually worked. I've never been able to get the Google Group RSS
feed to work with NetNewsWire. I didn't realize people actually
participated in the forum via email. I'm subscribed to the digest but
I can't imagine getting 10-20 emails a day from this group and then
responding to them through email. My inbox is full enough as it is.
Are people using that feature primarily from mobile devices that don't
have full web support?

Blair Watkinson

Jul 15, 2008, 2:19:47 PM7/15/08
to no-thirst...@googlegroups.com
JGar,

I am using the feature from Mail. I have a rule that catches the
group subscription and moves the e-mail into a separate .mac Mail
folder so that it is out of the way for my personal and other business
mail. I also have an iPhone that syncs with my Mac Mail, but I
usually don't write responses from my iPhone to this forum.

Blair

Alan Schmitt

Jul 15, 2008, 2:51:20 PM7/15/08
On 15 juil. 08, at 20:11, JGar wrote:

> I liked the Get Satisfaction forum. It looked nice and the RSS feed
> actually worked. I've never been able to get the Google Group RSS
> feed to work with NetNewsWire. I didn't realize people actually
> participated in the forum via email. I'm subscribed to the digest but
> I can't imagine getting 10-20 emails a day from this group and then
> responding to them through email. My inbox is full enough as it is.
> Are people using that feature primarily from mobile devices that don't
> have full web support?

I use mail exclusively from my computer, for three main reasons.
1) This mail is automatically sorted in a folder, and I only read it
when I need my MoneyWell fix ;-) It's clearly not in my Inbox.
2) If I need to answer a thread, I'm in a convenient environment. (I
use mail a lot, so it's configured just the way I like.)
3) I keep threads of interest. I find mail as a pretty good storage
for a while, then I export the mailbox to EagleFiler (where it is
stored in mbox format, and easy to search, annotate, and tag) when I
archive things away. With RSS, if I need to archive something it's
more work.

I could live with RSS only, I already have many feeds, but I find mail
more convenient.

Alan

PGP.sig

Kevin Hoctor

Jul 15, 2008, 3:32:53 PM7/15/08
On Jul 15, 2008, at 1:11 PM, JGar wrote:

> I liked the Get Satisfaction forum. It looked nice and the RSS feed
> actually worked. I've never been able to get the Google Group RSS
> feed to work with NetNewsWire. I didn't realize people actually
> participated in the forum via email. I'm subscribed to the digest but
> I can't imagine getting 10-20 emails a day from this group and then
> responding to them through email. My inbox is full enough as it is.
> Are people using that feature primarily from mobile devices that don't
> have full web support?

I don't use the RSS feed, so I'm not sure why it isn't working
properly. We are subscribed to the individual emails so we can respond
quickly without having to go to the forum site and so we can edit the

We also make extensive use of rules in OS X Mail. All of my other mail
list subscriptions are routed automatically to a folder called "Mail
Lists" and I look at them when I have spare time. Other rules mark as
read and file emails from PayPal, our license server and other email
that does not need to be read but may be needed for future reference.

If you're not using Mail rules, I highly recommend them. Even with the
support and forum emails hitting my inbox, I can usually keep it
nearly or completely empty throughout the day.

Peace,

Kevin Hoctor
No Thirst Software LLC
ke...@nothirst.com
http://nothirst.com
http://kevinhoctor.blogspot.com

Check out our MoneyWell video tutorials:
http://nothirst.com/moneywell/tutorials/

Join our user forum to learn about new releases:
http://groups.google.com/group/no-thirst-software

Dave

Jul 15, 2008, 9:03:31 PM7/15/08
to No Thirst Software User Forum
Not to mention having MailTags! I love that program. With it, I have
created the most efficient workflow I have ever had. My inbox stays
spotless. And best of all I can work the way I want instead of having
to work around to the way I want.

Anyway, no, I don't work for them. They just really have a great
product.

Thought I would chirp in.

Tweet,

Dave