The Green Chile Phenomenon

Brant Leeper

Apr 23, 2001, 12:48:25 PM4/23/01
I am a native New Mexican and have lived in central Texas for the last 5
years.

You may or may not know this, BUT, green chile practically does not exist
here. The only ones who have even heard of it are NM transplants.

So a New Mexican buddy of mine living in Texas (who plays in a band with me)
and I are trying to explain to all of our other Texan band mates what all
of the Green Chile fuss is about.

It is kind of hard telling them that the entire state is obsessed with a
chile pod.

What is it about green chile that everybody (including me)is so crazy about?

Can somebody out there give me some tips on explaining this phenomenon to
some "Tex-Mex" lovin' Texans?

Stef

Apr 23, 2001, 1:21:20 PM4/23/01
Brant Leeper <br...@sethwalker.com> wrote:
>What is it about green chile that everybody (including me)is so crazy about?

Endorphins are addictive.

stef

--
email: stef%swcp.com
Stunt Programmers Industries

Pat O'Connell

Apr 23, 2001, 10:41:38 PM4/23/01

In no other state do waiters ask "Red or green?"

Mmmm--good!

--
Pat O'Connell
Who likes green chile best, except when he likes red chile best.

Mike

Apr 24, 2001, 8:56:05 AM4/24/01
When I arrived here from up North, I couldn't understand either. A few years
later when I left the state for a month, I couldn't figure out what I was
craving. Now I wouldn't want to be without it.

Tell them it's like having a new Chevy Silverado every day!

Brant Leeper

Apr 24, 2001, 2:08:02 PM4/24/01
Thank for all of the helpful input!

One more question:

I am taking these guys from Texas to NM for the real green chile experience.

Were is the hottest, most flavorful, down home Mexican food restaurant in
the State?

Brant

R P Little

Apr 24, 2001, 5:18:35 PM4/24/01
What about scatalogic? Didn't you leave that out?

Chief

geulincx wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:15:08 -0600, Steve Browne
> <sbr...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >Si usted dice "chile", entonces usted habla español. Si usted puede
> >hablar español, entonces usted puede leer esto. ¿No está en lo
> >correcto eso?
>
> I do not need to take any of your stinkin' tests. Much less stoop to
> answer any of your rude, presumptive, prosecutorial, pedantic,
> sophistic, questions.
> --
> geulincx

David Wright

Apr 24, 2001, 7:35:40 PM4/24/01

"Brant Leeper" <br...@sethwalker.com> wrote in message

Oh, man, you are opening the BIG CAN OF CHILE, but I'll vote for Garcia's on
Central in Alburquerque and take on all comers (especially for breakfast!)

David

Pat O'Connell

Apr 24, 2001, 10:49:41 PM4/24/01

YM New Mexican, I think. Personal favorites are Ron's in Abq. or
Dollie's in Espanola for carne adovada (red, not green), and the
Frontier in Abq. for green chile stew. The Owl Bar in San Antonio, NM
for green chile cheeseburgers.

Explore--there are hundreds of good New Mexican resturants in this
state.

--
Pat O'Connell
Take nothing but pictures, Leave nothing but footprints,

Stef

Apr 24, 2001, 11:07:49 PM4/24/01
Brant Leeper <br...@sethwalker.com> wrote:
>One more question:
>I am taking these guys from Texas to NM for the real green chile experience.
>Were is the hottest, most flavorful, down home Mexican food restaurant in
>the State?

Call it "New Mexican" food (it's different than Mexican!) and do a
search for this question in this group. This comes up periodically and
was probably discussed 3 months ago.

My vote for hot (picante) is the GC stew at blue corn.

Mike

Apr 25, 2001, 9:18:12 AM4/25/01
Okay, you started it now!

I have to vote for Barella's (2'nd and bridge) for breakfast and La Familiar
on 4'th for any other meal.

R P Little

Apr 25, 2001, 11:37:36 AM4/25/01
> Brant Leeper <br...@sethwalker.com> wrote:
> >One more question:
> >I am taking these guys from Texas to NM for the real green chile experience.
> >Were is the hottest, most flavorful, down home Mexican food restaurant in
> >the State?
>
> "New Mexican" food .....

Chope's - La Mesa (NM not TX)
Chief

merl...@excite.com

Apr 25, 2001, 12:21:28 PM4/25/01

On 24-Apr-2001, Pat O'Connell <pa...@nmia.com> wrote:

> > One more question:
> >
> > I am taking these guys from Texas to NM for the real green chile
> > experience.
> >
> > Were is the hottest, most flavorful, down home Mexican food restaurant
> > in
> > the State?
>
> YM New Mexican, I think. Personal favorites are Ron's in Abq. or
> Dollie's in Espanola for carne adovada (red, not green), and the
> Frontier in Abq. for green chile stew. The Owl Bar in San Antonio, NM
> for green chile cheeseburgers.

La Cosina in Espanola, of course everything there tastes great!

--
Counters, Counters, Counters
Over 170 web counters, trackers, scripts...

Sean Houtman

Apr 25, 2001, 12:43:22 PM4/25/01
From: Steve Browne sbr...@ix.netcom.com

>I recommend using capsaicin, the chemical essence of "heat" in chili
>peppers. Capsaicin is thousands of times hotter than any chili. Why
>wade through all the bells and whistles and bitterness and roasting
>and freezing, when you can go straight to the heart of the matter?
>There isn't much else flavorwise to chili peppers other than the
>capsaicin, though there is lots of vitamin C. But you can get that in
>a pill too. "Cut to the chase," as they say in Hollywood.

There is the taste of the char from roasting the pods, the sweetness (chiles
are as sweet as bell peppers) as well as a host of other flavoring compounds.
In addition, there is the texture of the thing. The color is also there. Chiles
also have Vitamin A.

There are also many things that are better when you exerience them whole and
natural. Do you shine a light in your face, since that is all a sunset is? Do
you buy perfume, or is it better to sniff a flower? 20 minutes on your
treadmill, or a walk in the woods? Ask a parent which is the greater delight,
the photograph, or their child snuggling on a stormy night?

"It is almost like being there."

Sean

--
Visit my New Mexico Photolog at http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage
Last update 04-15-01, 65 pictures of Carlsbad Caverns "Big Room" added.

Sean Houtman

Apr 25, 2001, 12:46:03 PM4/25/01
From: "Brant Leeper" br...@sethwalker.com

>Were is the hottest, most flavorful, down home Mexican food restaurant in
>the State?

Coyote Moon in Lemitar. (They grow their own chile.)

Billie Yuss

Apr 25, 2001, 7:26:07 PM4/25/01
In article <6ijF6.159395$8y.29...@typhoon.austin.rr.com>,
br...@sethwalker.com says...

>I am taking these guys from Texas to NM for the real green chile experience.

Why? El Paso has umpteen good "green chili"
restaurants. All you'll get in NM is New Mexican
Mexican food and it's hard to find chile rellenoes
on most menus here. At least you'll get closer to
Mexico if not to Mexican food in El Paso
even if it is mostly TexMex, but chile rellenoes
are on every restaurant menu. Forte's and
Avila's are two of the best. I know of no
restaurant in all of New Mexico that can hold
a candle to those in El Paso for menu variety
and downright good food.