[MISP] Fwd: IFDM Director Candidate Public Lecture

Eric Renz-Whitmore

Apr 25, 2008, 2:57:49 PM4/25/08
to MIS...@list.unm.edu
***This is a MISP Listserv message. Responses are sent to the list by default.*** ***For more info about MISP and the listserv, scroll to the bottom of the page*** *
Hi from ARTS Lab...

We at UNM and ARTS Lab are excited to move into the next phase of UNM's Interdisciplinary Film & Digital Media Program (IF&DM) with the first candidate visit for the director's position.

Further information about this and other visits will be posted at the ARTS Lab site and on the MISP-Events list; please visit, or drop me a line (ewhi...@gmail.com) if you'd like to sign up for those updates.

Have a great weekend!

Eric
___

Hi everyone,

IFDM Program is bringing their first Director candidate to campus this Monday, April 27th.  Professor James Oliverio will be giving a pulic lecture, teaching a class, and meeting with Faculty.  Please see the following announcement and schedule.  Please post this announcement to your Faculty and student listserv and any other applicable listserv.  Attached is Professor Oliverio's CV, if you would like to foward it as well, or make available upon request.  Thank you so much for your time!

Thanks!
Diahndra

Announcing a Public Lecture:

              JAMES OLIVERIO
        Candidate for the Director
 Interdisciplinary Film and Digital Media Program
            Tuesday April 28th
               4:00 – 5:00
             Public Lecture
 Place: ARTS Lab (131 Pine St. in High Performance
 Computing Bldg. West of University & Central)

JAMES OLIVERIO
Biographic Overview
 James Oliverio is internationally known as a creative artist, educator and producer, and is a frequent keynote speaker and consultant to digital media, industry and education programs. He has served as Director of the Digital Worlds Institute at the University of Florida since January 2001, with full professorships in Digital Media and in Music.
 Special recognition includes the Inaugural "Peoria Prize for Creativity" (2005) for producing the globally distributed performing arts collaboration entitled "Hands Across the Ocean" and the "Most Courageous and Creative" Award in the High
Bandwidth Challenge at the 2001 global SuperComputing Conference. Oliverio holds five Emmy Awards from the Atlanta chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, along with numerous national grants and commissions. His work in internationally-distributed performing and digital arts has been featured on CNN International and the BBC.
 Oliverio's invention of the NetroNome TM has advanced network-based musical performance to a global scale. He has partnered with research institutions around the world to create "In Common Time" (ICT), a series of globally distributed performing arts collaborations. ICT has been featured in specially commissioned real-time events including "Non Divisi" for the Internet2, at the Los Angeles Convention Center for SIGGRAPH 2005, at the 2006 College Music Society National Conference and the 2007 Ingenuity Festival of Art and Technology.
 In addition to performances of his orchestral scores by ensembles including the Cleveland Orchestra and the symphonies of Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Oliverio has produced for and collaborated with Jazz @ Lincoln Center, the New York Philharmonic, the New York City Ballet and the Film Society of Lincoln Center. He served as Artistic Consultant on a number of projects with Wynton Marsalis, including the Millennial commission of "All Rise", which premiered with the New York Philharmonic under the baton of Kurt Masur and enjoyed subsequent performances at the Concertgebouw and with major international ensembles including the London and Los Angeles Philharmonics and the Boston
and Chicago Symphonies.
 Prior to becoming the Founding Director of the Digital Worlds Institute at the University of Florida, Oliverio served as the Artist in Residence at the Georgia Institute of Technology, and also as Founding Director of AudioLab in the Graphics, Visualization and Usability (GVU) Center in the Georgia Tech College of Computing. Previously he served as Visiting Associate Professor of Music and Director of Music Technology at Georgia State University.

More events for Faculty and students:

Monday April 27th

2:30 – 4:00
Meet with Faculty: College of Fine Arts, Arts & Sciences, Anderson School of Management, School of Engineering
Place: Ceria 365

5:30 – 6:30
Teaching presentation to Cinematic Arts Class
Place: Ceria 365

--
Eric Renz-Whitmore, Program Coordinator
ARTS Lab

ewhi...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2008, 7:37:10 PM4/28/08
to MIS...@list.unm.edu
***This is a MISP Listserv message. Responses are sent to the list by default.***
***For more info about MISP and the listserv, scroll to the bottom of the page***
*

FYI...

the dates listed here are incorrect. Tuesday is the 29th, and that's
when he'll be speaking -- but all else is correct.