Customer looking for IT systems inventory mgmt package

Howard White

Mar 17, 2011, 2:07:57 PM3/17/11
to nlug...@googlegroups.com
Okay super managers,

Have customer that has the classic "management by out of date
spreadsheet" disease; that and a few fragment management packages. We'd
like to [extend | expand | merge] the functionality of IP Plan with SNMP
to include systems information, locations, contacts (in the case of
systems in data centers), connect to Nagios, Cactii and so on. And yes,
we'd even like to be able to chain the underlying database to a
spreadsheet for a certain obstinate boss.

Sourceforge has yielded GPLI and some plugins but we are still looking
[at | for] alternatives.

Thoughts???

Howard

Steven S. Critchfield

Mar 17, 2011, 3:24:27 PM3/17/11
to nlug...@googlegroups.com
When you mention nagios and cacti, maybe you might consider looking at
Zabbix or Hyperic as well.

--
Steven Critchfield cri...@basesys.com

Amir Herschberg

Mar 17, 2011, 8:12:14 PM3/17/11
to NLUG
Have you looked at Groundwork Open Source? gwos.com. It's not free
(unless you want to use the community edition). It's a web GUI built
on top of Nagios, Cacti and other open source packages with an
underlying MySQL DB.

Amir

Tim Jackson

Mar 17, 2011, 8:54:12 PM3/17/11
to nlug...@googlegroups.com

Observium? We've recently moved to it from cacti for interface polling.

Im fixing some of the billing stuff in it soon, and some of the JunOS inventory stuff..

Howard White

Mar 17, 2011, 10:41:06 PM3/17/11
to nlug...@googlegroups.com
On 03/17/2011 07:12 PM, Amir Herschberg wrote:
> Have you looked at Groundwork Open Source? gwos.com. It's not free
> (unless you want to use the community edition). It's a web GUI built
> on top of Nagios, Cacti and other open source packages with an
> underlying MySQL DB.
>
> Amir

THANK YOU, Amir. Groundwork came and presented to NLUG like three years
ago and they ARE what we are looking for.

Thanks to the others for their comments. This is the power of this
group. :)

Howard

Amir Herschberg

Mar 18, 2011, 8:47:24 PM3/18/11
to NLUG
You are most welcome. I was the one who did the presentation at the
NLUG. I'm still involved with Groundwork. Feel free to contact me for
information either on or off the list.

Amir

Adam Herbert

Mar 18, 2011, 10:30:21 PM3/18/11
to nlug...@googlegroups.com
Howard, you might also check out OpenNetAdmin for IPAM functions. It can be used to manage IP ranges, VLANs, DNS, and DHCP.