early-summer news from nissimmusic

Nissim Schaul

Jun 12, 2008, 5:45:46 PM6/12/08
to nissi...@googlegroups.com
Hello

This summer is going to be a bit complicated, but busy and exciting.

On Sunday, I'm leaving for Groznjan, Croatia, to participate in a
vocal music workshop, and work on the premiere of Rising
(http://www.nissimmusic.org/music/rising.shtml), a piece for 3-part
chorus and any instrument(s) available. The piece was commissioned by
Jane McMahan, who runs the workshop, and, I'm hoping, will be part of
the street festival that festival participants perform each year in
Groznjan - and this year, in Izola, Slovenia, too. In case you're
planning to be in Istria, or know people there, the festival in
Groznjan will be on June 20, and the one in Izola will be on June 23.

The rest of the summer is a bit less clear, but will involve much
travel and musicking.

Also exciting has been the profusion of American Purgatory
(http://www.nissimmusic.org/music/ampurg.shtml) airings on US radio
stations. So far, we've been heard in Seattle (twice!), Iowa, Western
Colorado, Austin, and Portland, Maine - with air dates coming up in
Austin (again); Interlochen, Michigan; Albuquerque and Santa Fe;
Omaha; Cape Cod; Urbana, Illinois; and Phoenix. Check
http://www.americanpurgatory.org/air.html for more. American
Purgatory is a radio documentary about the process of applying for
political asylum in the United States, and was produced by Sarah Elzas
(http://www.toucanradio.com) and Olivia Bueno. I wrote the music.

Since last time, I've written about artistic freedom in Iran, US
immigration, and harmonic rhythm on my blog. One of those is more of
a musical subject than the others... Read it all -
http://www.nissimmusic.org/writings

Best wishes for the warm season!

Nissim