NHibernate 3.0 Release Planned for June 2010?

Philippe

Jun 16, 2010, 8:30:47 AM6/16/10
to nhusers
I have read on StackOverflow that NHibernate 3.0 is planned to be
released this month (June 2010). Is that still the plan? I’d like to
build a repository pattern over NHibernate 3.0 using IQueryable<T> -
if that makes sense with this new version. I can always download a
current snapshot from the development trunk if the release is delayed
a bit, right?

Craig van Nieuwkerk

Jun 16, 2010, 9:28:45 AM6/16/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
I too would be interested in an estimate release. I know an accurate
date is impossible, but something like "later this week", "maybe in a
couple of months" or "unlikely this year at current rate" would be
appreciated.

Craig

Paco Wensveen

Jun 16, 2010, 9:40:06 AM6/16/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
I always wonder why people care about release dates. What does it
matter if it is released or not (except political reasons)? I do
understand someone is interested in the release of a specific feature,
but for NHibernate, it will be the same code as the trunk. The
revision will be labeled and be called a release on that day I guess.

Reggie Pangilinan

Jun 16, 2010, 10:01:46 AM6/16/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
@paco i think a release gives the people the idea and comfort to some extent that it is now officially ready for public consumption.

Yonah Wahrhaftig

Jun 16, 2010, 10:25:46 AM6/16/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
Has been said here many times that it will be released by end of this year.

Jason Dentler

Jun 16, 2010, 3:00:54 PM6/16/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is the NH team will stop accepting new features very soon - probably no later than July. After this cut off, only bug fixes will be added to 3.0. The 3.0 GA (general availability) release will be later this year (I would guess sometime from September through November).

This is based on conversations I had with Fabio back in March or April.

Craig van Nieuwkerk

Jun 16, 2010, 7:04:27 PM6/16/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
I think it is important when planning a project manager types are
often not happy to use beta versions.

Fabio Maulo

Jun 17, 2010, 8:07:26 AM6/17/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
No ? are you sure ?
we are using trunk of NH, trunk of NHV, trunk of NHCH, trunk of NHSpatial, trunk of NHSerach, trunk of uNHAddIns, trunk of ConfORM in production.

Fabio Maulo

Craig van Nieuwkerk

Jun 17, 2010, 8:23:33 AM6/17/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
I believe you, but because you have such great knowledge of the code
of such products you are in a better position than most to judge how
production ready they are. If I use trunk in production and it turns
out to be not quite ready then I have to face the music.

Craig.

f....@free.fr

Jun 17, 2010, 9:00:13 AM6/17/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com, Fabio Maulo, nhu...@googlegroups.com
Fabio,

I think it depends on what is your job. I know a lot of corporate where the
developper can't use a framework not compliant with several criterias.

If you are working on a project using nhibernate as I do (and i'm very happy
with it); with a large number of entities, it is still very usefull to forecast
a migration process, take time to learn the new functionnalities to really
leverage the new version.

But I still agree that the "official release" considering nh is more about
"marketing" than stability. There is a good test base and the trunk is stable.
Well that's continuous integration...

I guess it is like using SQL : you are always fighting dinosaure.

So when you can select and choose, it doesn't matter. But if your job is to
recommand a technology; it is difficult to get credit if you don't have
perspective on the roadmap.

I don't want to flame the post, but a similar situation occurs for me a couple
of month ago : we choose a framework for a particular task, and there was a
roadmap identifying key relase dates; with the supposed new functionnalities.
The first release is now over 6 months lates, and now a lot of people are asking
if it is safe to go on with this framework.

I do think that the answer is : don't give any roadmap if you have no intention
of being in time. I mean, you've made quite an amazing job with NHibernate, you
don't really need this kind of question to put discredit on the release process.
That's the way things are in it : If you say you release, everyone is expecting
you to release on time; and everyone THINKS that what is between two releases is
under dev or completely buggy.

Regards,

Fred.

Selon Fabio Maulo <fabio...@gmail.com>:

> nhusers+u...@googlegroups.com<nhusers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Fabio Maulo

Jun 20, 2010, 1:18:59 AM6/20/10
to nhusers
Sorry for my mistake the below answer was sent in private...
See below if you are interested.

Jun 20, 2010, 8:09:58 AM6/20/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com, Fabio Maulo, nhusers
You still didn't read what I said. It is a pro bono flamming of one of your
suporter....What a great demonstration of the OSS mindset.

You are 43, right, but since when are corporate using continuous integration ?

So my point was :
Why instead of giving a release date and a release number (that's more a
commercial software behavior); don't you just explain "The release is the daily
content of the trunk with a complete test base insuring a very high level of
quality ?". That would make things easier.

I've no problem working on the trunk, and once again, I've no word to tell how
much I admire your (the nh team) work.

What I told is what I've learned from my industry (a very specific one thought)
aver the last 12 years.
Everyday I'm fighting against 'oracle is better than anyone', 'all must be sql',
'n tiers architecture are top of the rope', and so on.
I'm very proud to announce that we use NHibernate, Spring, or Ninject or Apache
MQ or any OSS Framework. And each time the question is : "What version ?"
Why ? I don't know ! It like habits. Changing is difficult.
The same way people in my industry are still believing that testing an app is
having 120 peoples using the gui and posting issues. That a release is a build
and 6 months of gui tests. I know you are probably laughting; but I'm in a
situation where my clients have to remain secret.But if it was not the case, it
won't probably be funny anymore.

Don't get me wrong Fabio, I share your though.
But sometime, communication is important.

Fred.

Selon Fabio Maulo <fabio...@gmail.com>:

> Sorry for my mistake the below answer was sent in private...

<nhusers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<nhusers%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

Dietrich

Jun 20, 2010, 11:45:45 PM6/20/10
to nhusers
I think the biggest issue with NHibernate is the lack of a solid home
page. NHForge.org seems abandoned to me and much of the information
seems out of dage, I thought things had moved to jboss for a while,
but now that's gone. It is such a wonderful technology but ask your
self if there is any one place a person can go to find out what the
features of the latest release are?
> Selon Fabio Maulo <fabioma...@gmail.com>:
>

> > Sorry for my mistake the below answer was sent in private...
> > See below if you are interested.

f....@free.fr

Jun 21, 2010, 3:53:51 AM6/21/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com, Dietrich, nhusers
Well, I agree with Fabio on that point :
This is OSS; so the community needs some support.

I think as user of the framework we also have some responsabilities (that comes
with its great power ;-))

John Davidson

Jun 21, 2010, 6:50:28 AM6/21/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
I will have a Features page posted to the wiki by tomorrow morning (I have been working on it for a few days now) and would like to get community input on the features. Once it is ready there will be a link from the home page to that Features page.

John Davidson

Fabio Maulo

Jun 21, 2010, 9:10:09 AM6/21/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 7:50 AM, John Davidson <jwdav...@gmail.com> wrote:
I will have a Features page posted to the wiki by tomorrow morning (I have been working on it for a few days now) and would like to get community input on the features. Once it is ready there will be a link from the home page to that Features page.

The good spirit of a OSS guy!!

This is the old Welcome message:

Try to re-read it:
"If you are interested in starting to contribute by writing articles, providing content for a wiki, or provide value in any other way you can imagine, please feel free tocontact us (if you already have NH-related content of your own, we can even cross posting from your own blog)."

Obviously you can sit down and write only some simple critic about the content of the site without move a single finger, it is the most easy thing to do.

--
Fabio Maulo

Dietrich

Jun 21, 2010, 11:59:12 AM6/21/10
to nhusers
I would be happy to contribute too, but I do not have any formal
experience in documentation and don't think I'd be up to the task of
documenting the whole of NHibernate.

On Jun 21, 9:10 am, Fabio Maulo <fabioma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 7:50 AM, John Davidson <jwdavid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I will have a Features page posted to the wiki by tomorrow morning (I have
> > been working on it for a few days now) and would like to get community input
> > on the features. Once it is ready there will be a link from the home page to
> > that Features page.
>
> The good spirit of a OSS guy!!
>
> This is the old Welcome message:http://nhforge.org/content/WelcomeMessage.aspx
>
> Try to re-read it:
> "If you are interested in starting to contribute by writing articles,
> providing content for a wiki, or provide value in any other way you can
> imagine, please feel free tocontact us <info{at}nhforge.org> (if you already
> have NH-related content of your own, we can even cross posting from your own
> blog)."
>
> Obviously you can sit down and write only some simple critic about the
> content of the site without move a single finger, it is the most easy thing
> to do.
>

> > John Davidson
>
> > On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 3:53 AM, <f...@free.fr> wrote:
>
> >> Well, I agree with Fabio on that point :
> >> This is OSS; so the community needs some support.
>
> >> I think as user of the framework we also have some responsabilities (that
> >> comes
> >> with its great power ;-))

> read more »

Mike Katchourine

Jul 21, 2010, 10:19:45 AM7/21/10
to nhusers
To me the most important aspect of the new release is the LINQ
provider rewrite.

LINQ is now a non-negotiable part of programming in .NET.

LINQ support is the weakest point of NHibernate, and it detracts from
its otherwise awesome qualities. Current NHContrib version of the LINQ
provider is broken in many fundamental areas - grouping, joining,
comparison e.t.c. Using either HQL or criteria API to plug those areas
results in inconsistent bulky codebase that is hard to maintain.

I can't in all conscience use the trunk, as Fabio suggests. Tried it
before. For all the assurance that nothing gets contributed to the
trunk if it fails a test, the reality of the situation is, effective
full coverage unit tests can only be produced from sufficient exposure
to real life production environments, and that just doesn't happen
until the software is officially released. Especially with the LINQ
provider, for every 1 problem solved 1 problem that was solved before
is now broken, so I would much rather wait. At least I KNOW what's
broken in the 2.1 LINQ provider now so that I can avoid it.

Fabio Maulo

Jul 21, 2010, 10:57:08 AM7/21/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
For me what is not negotiable is the usage of just one query-system instead six (as NH has).

Howmany screwdrivers have you in your tool-box at your home ? just one ?

Have you looked to the SQLs generated by a LINQ sentence in LINQ2SQL or EF4 ?

NHibernate is not a retail software, you don't pay for it; if you want be sure that you can continue using it, supporting your business, you should download the trunk and run your tests using the trunk.
If you don't want try the trunk... well... you will wait the release, when the release is out you may found some issues and... you will wait the next release, , when the release is out you may found some issues and... you will wait the next release, , when the release is out you may found some issues and...
Or perhaps you are hoping that somebody else will find your issues, and somebody else will fix it, only to support your business.

The quality is not achieved by chance

Fabio Maulo

Jason Dentler

Jul 21, 2010, 11:14:19 AM7/21/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

It's dishonest to say that for every new issue fixed, an old one is broken. NH doesn't accept bugs without failing tests. Once a test passes, it is never allowed to break again. The backsliding you have suggested simply doesn't exist.

In any case, if you are using NH in a way that doesn't have a test, you are welcome to submit bug reports with failing tests to JIRA.

Thanks,
Jason

Frans Bouma

Jul 21, 2010, 11:27:03 AM7/21/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
I think (but guessing here) what Mike means is that in case of Linq: when
something is fixed, another query which worked (in his code!) now fails.
Likely this is overexxagerated, but it's very possible, as Linq has many
many use cases (as in: infinite) and queries which are possible, and my
experience is that every single query could fail due to a slightly different
expression tree, which might have expressions left in it after a given
stage, causing crashes later on. A fix in a linq provider usually means that
a conversion of a subtree is changed so _that_ particular subtree results in
an expected subtree, but if the subtree is slightly different (very well
possible, e.g. some lame Convert() expression is present in a query), the
fix might skip the subtree altogether and the query ends up broken.

You can't simply test for this with unit tests. MS has (of what I heard,
after I asked for them ;)) several million tests for linq to sql and they
still occasionally find bugs.

What users of a Linq provider should understand, but often they don't, is
that there will be no point in time where a linq provider works properly in
all cases: it WILL fail, no matter how much effort one puts into it, in edge
cases. With other techniques, like string based query systems, predicate
object based systems etc. you can write straight-forward code which
eliminates almost all odd cases and you can test these systems properly.
With linq expression trees, this isn't the case as the expression tree isn't
an AST you transform, it's an object graph with a web of references.

FB

> <mailto:nhusers%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com> .

Fabio Maulo

Jul 21, 2010, 11:58:15 AM7/21/10
to nhu...@googlegroups.com
And what you said is only a part of the story... the other part is:
even when a LINQ expression does not fail have, will the expression translated into a efficient SQL?

HQL and Criteria was designed to be translated to SQL, they are specific OO queries for persistence.

If what you need is only OO-strongly-typed-and-strings-free-resolved-by-C#-compiler queries LINQ is a good option.
HQLs, wrote in mappings, are "only" OO-resolved-by-NH-compiler (at BuildSessionFactory).
In NH you can map and query private fields or even map and query properties and collections not presents in your domain... without talk about that you can map, query and persist artifacts without have a single class (we have full support of dynamic entities).

btw... when you have so many options to query your domain there is no reason to limit your options to once.
--
Fabio Maulo