Woodpecker at Hummingbird feeder and other notes

William Smith

Jun 26, 2015, 1:15:39 PM6/26/15
to nhb...@googlegroups.com
About a month ago I posted about a male downy woodpecker at my hummingbird feeder. Thanks to Anne and Catherine for their reply and links, very helpful.

The Downy continues sporadically and the hummingbirds, who abandoned the feeder initially, have returned and even will chase the Downy from the feeder. I’ve had a couple of face to face encounters from less than a foot away as the Downy will land on the windowsill where the feeder is and look in. Since this is over the kitchen sink we are often at the window and the woodpecker seems largely unfazed. This morning my wife saw the male at the feeder and what she thinks was a juvenile on the window sill. Apparently it’s part of the education process for the youngster.

This morning a red bellied woodpecker (male I believe) showed up at our sunflower seed feeder. I have a regular red belly at the suet during the winter, this is a 1st yard bird for the summer.

Yard birds seem to have had a very productive breeding season so far. Many white-breasted nuthatches, catbirds and robins eating my wild blueberries, and the titmice seem to have very large numbers. Apparently years of landscaping for the critters is paying off.

Bill Smith

If we don't change the direction we are headed we will end up where we are going