Stove tests/ratings

Squidink

Jan 21, 2007, 3:05:16 PM1/21/07
As we start thinking about multi-day paddles this summer, something
that often comes up is what's the best cook stove to take. I need to
replace my setup and have been looking around. Douglas Wilcox has done
a great service by testing and rating several stoves/kettles in cold
situations (see http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.com/).

Which comes out on top? I know Paul Delaney will be happy with his
conclusion!

Corrie Davis

Jan 22, 2007, 8:07:18 AM1/22/07
I have a MSR Wisperlite International and it's the cat's ass. :)

waterdragon

Jan 22, 2007, 1:48:05 PM1/22/07
I think Paul Delaney has a Kelly Kettle.

I've been thinking about picking one up for when space is not an issue.
It looks like it performs quite well.

I also have a whisper lite, and like it very much as well.

Ian

Squidink

Jan 22, 2007, 2:23:59 PM1/22/07
I think Paul first unveiled his Kelly Kettle at the 2001 KNL annual
retreat. It's been on many paddles since then and I've been wanting
one. Works like a charm. Like the idea you don't need to burn down a
forest for a cup of tea in the woods ;)

Would be interested to hear what other people use and are very
satisfied with.

ralphi...@hotmail.com

Jan 22, 2007, 5:05:52 PM1/22/07
Yes, looking at buying a stove myself, not only kayaking, but out in
the woods while snowmobiling. I know Canadian Tire sells one that you
just screw on top of the bottle, works quite well, my buddy has one and
we used it few days ago. Heading out again tomorrow while the snow
stays around. Any comment on that one, sorry I do not know the model, I
think Coleman.
Ralph

Corrie Davis

Jan 23, 2007, 6:58:36 AM1/23/07
Hey Ralphie, I alos have that single burner Coleman Propane stove.
Works like a charm but it is a little bulky for back packing and
kayakaing, that's why I also have the wisperlite. I also have a
Coleman "ultraligfht" two burner propane stove... good for car camping
only... preferably large car..... it is about 10' x 22" x 2..5" -
it's a little smaller than the big green propane / white gas coleman
stoves.

The propane cylinders ar a bit of a pain (along with alot of weight) as
well.

Petemoss

Jan 23, 2007, 11:34:56 AM1/23/07
I have a Kelly Kettle and its great.........Tad' bulky, but if you can
spare the room, its terriffic....Good conversation piece too!!

I also have a MSR Dragon fly that I use camping and
backpacking.........Excellent stove...Sounds like a jet plane on high
heat, but unlike the Coleman single burner (which I like besides the
bulk and starting ability in cold weather), lights everytime when its
cold or wet.....Excellent to maintain in the field too..............

I think pretty well any stove by MSR would be fanststic.......Have used
Primus, but was not too killed on them....But that's personal opinion
:)

Hope this helps....

Pete.

Squidink

Jan 25, 2007, 3:05:35 PM1/25/07

More paddlers checking in on the Kelly Kettle. See Kieran's blog
(Japan) at
http://seakayaking.wordpress.com/

I'd be interested in knowing prices of the MSR stoves mentioned above.

Hope others will continue to post about their preferred cook/stove
ensembles.
Alison

waterdragon

Jan 25, 2007, 5:30:33 PM1/25/07
Check MEC for prices on the MSR stoves. They should have a good
selection.

I liked your link to the Japan site, but if you scroll down the page a
bit there's a link to a great surfing site.

Check it out:

http://www.sandmarks.net/SurfinTurf.html

Now that's HARD CORE!!! ;-)

TonyLee

Jan 25, 2007, 8:48:31 PM1/25/07
Is that Paul Benson in that kayak???

pwde...@nl.rogers.com

Jan 25, 2007, 10:42:24 PM1/25/07
Well, not being a shareholder in Kelly Kettles it probably doesn' t
really matter, but I have found and shown it to be a useful item, in
its time and place. Initially I had overnighted with Bob Fearon and
realized the problem with one stove meant you could either cook
breakfast or boil water, unless you made a fire, not necessarily
something you want to do in the morning when you want to get moving. So
when I was told about this and then looked it up it seemed worth a try
and looked well shaped to fit into the bow or stern of a kayak. Being
so quick you can quite easily make many cups of hot drinks. It holds
three full normal mugs worth of water. I also suspect that if you look
at the review, the reviewer used dry kindling. I mostly use birch rind
and I think one would find that much quicker than using wood. The flame
and heat comes extremely quickly and you can still use the embers to
create a bigger fire if you wish. The fact that it is designed to
utilize wind rather than hide from it like most stoves becomes a factor
on our coast. The other big benefit of the system is that you don't
really need to bring any fuel, thus space and weight savings whether
hiking, kayaking or skiing. I tend to carry birch rind which is light
and packs easily and lights easily, but reality is that most times you
can hunt down a birch tree most anywhere or use mosses, twigs off the
lower parts of spruce or other trees, etc. Dryer lint also works. Thus
as long as you have a match you can find fuel and get a potentially
life saving or at least morale boosting hot drink in a hurry. I love
mine and many others have appreciated its service, the 2001 Retreat
included.

On Jan 21, 5:05 pm, "Squidink" <squid...@nl.rogers.com> wrote:
> As we start thinking about multi-day paddles this summer, something
> that often comes up is what's the best cook stove to take. I need to
> replace my setup and have been looking around. Douglas Wilcox has done
> a great service by testing and rating several stoves/kettles in cold

> situations (seehttp://seakayakphoto.blogspot.com/).

ckayaker

Jan 26, 2007, 8:37:16 AM1/26/07
I have a Kelly Kettle I got from Lee Valley Tools, but I have never
used it while on a paddling trip. If I ever do, I'd make a storage bag
for it as I find it's often dirty from ash and carbon deposit which
mucks up the boat. Going around Manitoulin Island - a 12 day venture -
we used my butane stove. It's about 10"x10"x4", uses fuel canisters,
and may seem large, but it's incredibly convenience - just twist the
dial and it lights! - is a bonus when you come off the water after 10
hours of paddling or more and just want to eat and sleep. Having 2
kayaks allowed us the luxury of bringing along this larger stove. We
also discovered that it wasn't necessary to open the burner more than
just a crack to boil water rapidly. It comes in a storage case and I
pack a folding metal windscreen with it as well. So, a stove to
consider.