Bottling moose help

Chay

Nov 27, 2008, 11:45:50 AM11/27/08
Anyone bottle moose in the oven?
 How do you do it?
 Recipes please.

Todd

Nov 27, 2008, 12:18:16 PM11/27/08
Hardest part is trying to get the antlers in there as well.

Chay expressed precisely :

Brenda

Nov 27, 2008, 12:40:09 PM11/27/08
Although plenty of people still do it, oven canning is very dangerous.  Oven temperatures are rarely accurate and the dry heat does not circulate around the bottles well enough for their contents to reach a uniform temperature sufficient to destroy botulism.  Even if you're risk taker when it comes to deadly bacteria, you still have to worry about the bottles exploding when you open the oven door and the cooler air rushes in around them.

Danimal

Nov 27, 2008, 12:55:01 PM11/27/08
cooking the seals is also another problem with the oven method.

towngal

Nov 27, 2008, 2:26:58 PM11/27/08
I would never in the over... on the stove top works perfect for us

Johnl

Nov 27, 2008, 2:45:34 PM11/27/08
Don't use the oven method for the reasons suggested here. Use a pressure cooker to be sure. Top of the stove water bath cannot exceed 100C or 212F. Pressure is needed to increase the internal temp. to a point where the chance of any botulism is wiped out. I know that our families have been just using a water bath method for generations. My opinion is, that if we have excaped some form of food poisning, we have been lucky.
Several friends and myself bought a 5gal. pressure cooker which we share the use of.
Since I have the use of this cooker, we havn't bought canned soup, beans or the like. We make our own and bottle it. Way better taste and no preservatives added.
Good luck.

Anyone bottle moose in the oven?

Chay

Nov 27, 2008, 4:39:05 PM11/27/08
Thanks for your all your help.
 I 'm not investing in a large pressure canner for a quarter of moose.
 I may take a chance on the water bath. I was raised on bottled moose and game.
 I think my mother used to boil it for at least 4 hrs.

Chay

Nov 27, 2008, 4:42:59 PM11/27/08
How do you do it in the water bath Town gal? Time required? Are the bottles completely covered?

Buchans53

Nov 27, 2008, 5:03:49 PM11/27/08
Hi
I use the bath method . Put bottles in warm water but make sure meat is at room temp as it could break if it is really cold when you put it in warm water.WE boil it for 3 1/2 hours.
We prepare our bottles with a small piece of fat pork on the bottom of bottle, stuff meat in to half way add a piece of fat pork and fill to top. We use consume soup and fill the bottle. We usually use one can of consume and one can of water and this usually does 12 bottles.We find the consume gives you a nice sauce when you warm it up or eat it cold.

Snipe

Nov 27, 2008, 5:55:01 PM11/27/08

Chay wrote:
> Anyone bottle moose in the oven?

I prefer da do it hout in the store. I can't fit in the hoven ol man...;-)

> How do you do it?

I puts da moose in da bottle, puts the top on er and slings er in the
pressure cooker.

> Recipes please.

Moose

;-)

Brenda

Nov 27, 2008, 8:14:52 PM11/27/08
The water bath method is only safe for high acid foods such as fruit and tomatoes.  Meats are low acid and must be brought to a temperature of 240 F to kill all bacteria.  This can only be done using a pressure canner.

Brenda

Nov 27, 2008, 8:31:23 PM11/27/08
Well, if you're going to go the water bath method at least make sure no one eats it straight from the bottle.  The contents should be brought to a proper boil before consumption.  There are somewhere around twenty cases of botulism poisoning in Canada each year, most from home canning of low acid foods.  If I remember correctly the last case I heard of here in the province was the result of someone eating moose cold straight out of the bottle.

ray.bonia

Nov 27, 2008, 11:00:51 PM11/27/08
Try renting a pressure canner. Remember if you use a water bath, you MAY live to regret it.

Chay

Nov 28, 2008, 11:14:56 AM11/28/08
Well you all convinced me. I am borowing a pressure canner and trying Bucan53's recipe.
Thanks.

stan

Nov 28, 2008, 11:58:39 AM11/28/08
On Nov 28, 1:00 am, "ray.bonia" <ray.bo...@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Try renting a pressure canner. Remember if you use a water bath, you MAY live to regret it.
>   "Brenda" <bsheph...@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in messagenews:492f49e5$0$5497$9a56...@news.aliant.net...

>   Well, if you're going to go the water bath method at least make sure no one eats it straight from the bottle.  The contents should be brought to a proper boil before consumption.  There are somewhere around twenty cases of botulism poisoning in Canada each year, most from home canning of low acid foods.  If I remember correctly the last case I heard of here in the province was the result of someone eating moose cold straight out of the bottle.
>
>     "Chay" <born2bv...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:492f137e$0$5481$9a56...@news.aliant.net...

>     Thanks for your all your help.
>      I 'm not investing in a large pressure canner for a quarter of moose.
>      I may take a chance on the water bath. I was raised on bottled moose and game.
>      I think my mother used to boil it for at least 4 hrs.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. The only things we have
'bottled'; in recent years has been blueberry jam (with sugar and
pectin etc.) and bottled boiled beets in vinegar.

Reading this thread just realised they are two products that one does
not cook or reheat again after the bottles are opened for use. The
part contents are then refrigerated until used up. No problems with
mould or 'going off' to date or in past years.

I guess both products somewhat, or very, acidic?
In both cases they are precooked and then 'bottled' in mason jars, not
cans, using a large stove top boiler.

It's possible by the way to reuse some lids, although it's not
recommended, if one has temporarily run out of Mason jar lids.
Haven't tried bottling turrs/murrs or moose rabbit etc. So the
warnings are welcome.

Have no experience of 'canning'. How are the cans sealed or closed?

BTW thinking back to the days of WWII food rationing, just about
anything 'food' could be bottled; that included turnip greens, home
raised rabbits, pigeons, even stinging nettles, dandelions, and almost
anything that could be home grown, or grown on an allotment in the
local park and/or on spare ground almost anywhere including alongside
railway tracks and the verges of back lanes and side roads.

Rose 'hips' the seed pips left after rose blooms are very high in
Vitamin C and apparently can be made into jam! And of course any wild
berries also. Horse chestnuts were fed to pigs along with other food
scraps.

Don't recall too many cases of food poisoning but everyone was busy
running the war and trying to survive!

Brenda

Nov 28, 2008, 12:02:31 PM11/28/08
Because you have decided to use a pressure canner your processing time will be much shorter than the 3 1/2 hours called for in Buchans53's recipe.  I would still use the recipe but adjust the processing time.  You might find this site helpful for that:

Brenda

Nov 28, 2008, 12:31:55 PM11/28/08

"stan" <tsan...@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

B: Yes, both those items are high acid so a proper processing using the
water bath method is fine.

It's possible by the way to reuse some lids, although it's not
recommended, if one has temporarily run out of Mason jar lids.
Haven't tried bottling turrs/murrs or moose rabbit etc. So the
warnings are welcome.
Have no experience of 'canning'. How are the cans sealed or closed?

B: Actually, you have. Any process that preserves food by sealing it in
bottles, cans or pouches and applying heat to destroy bacteria is called
canning. My father used to can the salmon and trout he caught during the
summer. I remember he had a sealer that sealed the lids to the cans and
then he would process them. The fish cooked in the cans.