Router prob

1 view

Bob

Sep 11, 2008, 8:14:38 AM9/11/08
D Link 2.4 wireless router, won't connect to the internet anymore. Computer
connects fine once the router is taken out of the loop. Computer can also
connect to the router. Using XP. any guesses?

Thx

RoyK

Sep 11, 2008, 11:43:59 AM9/11/08
1) Did it just magically one day stop working or had something changed
within the last 24 - 48 hours?

it's possible a DNS issue, a DHCP issue, someone hacking access to a
wireless modem (yes, it happens, I've seen it done, guy hacked a nearby
router and changed passwords on it to teach the owner about leaving modem
unlocked).

2) What internet provider? Aliant or Rogers?

Aliant - Router needs to be configured with PPPOE username and password.
Have you changed it recently or done a hard reset on the router?

Rogers - Cable modems will often lock to a MAC address of the first device
connected after a 'head end' reset of cable modem. Router needs to be
configured to 'mac clone' the PC that connects correctly.

"Bob" <mado...@nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

davehx

Sep 11, 2008, 12:07:30 PM9/11/08
if it's aliant. do a hard reset of both. Turn off router and modem at
same time. turn on modem first, wait 40 seconds or so...then turn on router.

Bob

Sep 12, 2008, 10:56:22 AM9/12/08
Its Aliant. Little while back we were having issues and my wife phoned the
help line. I don't know exactly what they done but now instead of being
always connected we have to connect manually. We don't use the router that
much, just the odd time when using the Wii.
"davehx" <nospamplea...@gmail.com> wrote in message