Encoding incorrect for downloaded web page

1 view

kcwu

Mar 24, 2011, 12:43:12 PM3/24/11
to NewsRob User Group
Hi,

I subscribed this feed http://chinese.engadget.com/rss.xml
The content of this feed is written in Chinese encoded in UTF-8.
NewsRob can show its feed correctly.

However, if I set download preference to "Articles + Images + Web
Page", after sync complete,
When I click any articles to read, two possible results:
1. The content haven't been downloaded. The load icon is rotating.
After the content is downloaded after several seconds, I can see the
page correctly.
2. NewsRob downloaded the webpage successfully during last sync, all
Chinese characters in the page are corrupted. The corrupted screen
looks like the encoding of the content was treated as latin-1 instead
of UTF-8.
It doesn't help if I click "Refresh Content".

All my other Chinese feeds don't have this issue.

Does anyone have similar issue?

Henrik Heimbuerger

Mar 24, 2011, 1:28:03 PM3/24/11
to new...@googlegroups.com, kcwu
That reminds me of
https://groups.google.com/group/newsrob/browse_thread/thread/97e4f2d4e8b1e7c0/fd7ac548c2dad0ac
and
https://groups.google.com/group/newsrob/browse_thread/thread/53f2f7d275856296/fb9d67159da3a181

I don't have the time to check right now, but you sound like you're tech-savvy enough to confirm that yourself.

kcwu

Mar 25, 2011, 12:50:58 PM3/25/11
to NewsRob User Group, david....@gmail.com, maciej....@gmail.com
Thanks. These threads described exact the same issue I encountered.

As Mariano Kamp suggested, I created a request on uservoice.
http://newsrob.uservoice.com/forums/35624-general/suggestions/1628647-handle-charset-specified-in-html-header