Share Link suggestions

Tim Wood

Apr 20, 2010, 8:19:19 AM4/20/10
to new...@googlegroups.com

I know its not really appropriate for this list, but I thought some of you would know of some alternate methods for the "Share Link" menu since you are all experienced android users.

So my question is: do you know of any Share Link alternatives to the stock defaults?

I'd like an easier way to share items from Newsrob to myself for later reading. Email is my preferred delivery/notification method since I rarely go into Google Reader on a computer anymore. The default gmail share option just seems like it takes too many clicks.

Thanks for reading and your suggestions.

Tim

Mark Otway

Apr 20, 2010, 8:33:09 AM4/20/10
to new...@googlegroups.com

Why not configure Google reader to publically share all starred links? It then generates a link to a page you can navigate to in your browser listing all shared links, so you can access them easily.

Tim Wood

Apr 20, 2010, 9:15:21 AM4/20/10
to new...@googlegroups.com
Good option, thanks for the idea Mark. I'll look into that one, but I'm not sure I want to make all my starred items public.  Any other ideas?

-Tim

Mariano Kamp

Apr 20, 2010, 12:42:04 PM4/20/10
to new...@googlegroups.com
I personally use beelicious to share those things to delicious. I tag them "toread", "towatch" and "toreadmydesk" and subscribe to the resulting feeds again.

One great thing about Android is the intents-system. Unfortunately this only allows a very coarse grained integration. But still:
(a) I think that a developer of one of those ReadMeLater/Instapaper/Delicious apps would need to open up their app a bit ideally, so that I can automatically pass in a "toread" tag in the latter case.
(b) In NewsRob I could implement a dialog that lets you predefine which receiver (app) of an intent you want to select and put this action onto a specific button/action/toolbar icon.

I contacted the beelicious developer some time ago to gauge his interest, but got no answer. If you want to add this to newsrob.uservoice.com I will contact the other developers as well when it gets enough votes. This is definitively a workflow feature that is in the center of what I think is the major strength of NewsRob and what I want to expand.
Thanks for bringing it up.

Sami USMC

Apr 21, 2010, 12:07:56 AM4/21/10
to NewsRob User Group
You could download "Read Later", a free app that adds an option to
your share menu to send items to your Instapaper account.
> > newsrob+u...@googlegroups.com<newsrob%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com >
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/newsrob?hl=en.
>
> >  --

Henrik Heimbuerger

Apr 21, 2010, 5:30:08 PM4/21/10
to new...@googlegroups.com
I'm using the Read It Later service with the Quick Save Android app (which sends the URL to Read It Later). I really like RIL, in particular the Firefox plugin. I'm not terribly happy with Quick Save however. It does what it should without problems, but it takes way too long and doesn't send the URL in the background, so I always have to wait.
I normally use starring to mark articles for me to read later, but the advantage of RIL/Quick Save is that I can also mark links from the current article, not just the article itself (by holding the link right inside NR and selecting 'Share Link'). That way, if there's just one link in an article with many links, I don't have to scan the whole article for the one part I was interested in following up on later.

I don't use any Android app to actually read those pages on the device. While I do have my RIL 'unread' feed mapped back into GR (and therefore NR), I've yet to ever look into it on the device. It's just not how I use those services.

The distinction between 'to read', 'to watch' etc. of beelicious sounds interesting. That would fit very well into my workflow. RIL has tags, but Quick Save can't set them, afaik.
I'll give beelicious a try. If that does not fit my needs, I might be interesting in writing the application you described above, Mariano. Sounds like a good way to jump into Android development in a day or so. Pretty much depends on how complex the APIs of the URL storage services are.

Mariano Kamp

Apr 21, 2010, 5:36:07 PM4/21/10
to new...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great. I would be happy to help.

lawvol

Apr 22, 2010, 9:01:47 AM4/22/10
to NewsRob User Group
I also use Quick Save with NR and find it a nice pairing. Read It
Later is a great tool which works across platforms (and integrates
with the web version of Google Reader).

I agree with Henrik wholeheartedly!

On Apr 21, 5:30 pm, Henrik Heimbuerger <hheimbuer...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> I'm using the Read It Later service with the Quick Save Android app (which
> sends the URL to Read It Later). I really like RIL, in particular the
> Firefox plugin. I'm not terribly happy with Quick Save however. It does what
> it should without problems, but it takes way too long and doesn't send the
> URL in the background, so I always have to wait.
> I normally use starring to mark articles for me to read later, but the
> advantage of RIL/Quick Save is that I can also mark links from the current
> article, not just the article itself (by holding the link right inside NR
> and selecting 'Share Link'). That way, if there's just one link in an
> article with many links, I don't have to scan the whole article for the one
> part I was interested in following up on later.

Mariano Kamp

Apr 22, 2010, 12:38:58 PM4/22/10
to new...@googlegroups.com
What would be a great addition to NewsRob is that it should remember what action the user actually used previously and should let the order of the options displayed reflect that.

Btw. I also use the "share link" on links in the body of message to mark stuff for later reading.

Henrik Heimbuerger

Apr 22, 2010, 2:25:44 PM4/22/10
to new...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Mariano Kamp <marian...@gmail.com> wrote:
What would be a great addition to NewsRob is that it should remember what action the user actually used previously and should let the order of the options displayed reflect that.

I must misunderstand you. :) You're not actually suggesting to break the user's muscle memory each time by reordering the buttons for the various tags, are you!?

Mariano Kamp

Apr 22, 2010, 2:39:24 PM4/22/10
to new...@googlegroups.com
I didn't see it that way (and still don't) ... But ok, I see that this will result in lots of discussions and negative market comments. So forget I mentioned it ;-)

Mariano Kamp

Apr 22, 2010, 2:41:54 PM4/22/10
to new...@googlegroups.com
Oh I wanted to mention .... or it will result in just another option -> So forget I mentioned it.