How to integrate feeds?

Mariano Kamp

Feb 22, 2009, 7:42:53 AM2/22/09
to NewsRob User Group
Hi,

as you know feeds are currently not a separate entity in NewsRob.
It's more or less just the feed's title that is displayed along the
article's title.

I hinted to in the release notes of NewsRob 1.4 that I want to
expose the feeds themselves in a future version. There is some base
work to be done first, so this is still a couple of weeks away. While
I have a good idea about how I want to store the feeds and what to do
about the existing data, I don't really know what would be the best
way to present the feeds to the users?!

What are your thoughts on that? As I'd like to start this discussion
very open minded I don't want to share my thoughts just yet. I have
some basic cornerstones on my mind though.

- Google Reader is the desktop counter part, so it would make sense
stay close to that:
- Label 1
- Feed 1
- Feed 2
- Article 1
- Article 2
- Label 2
- Feed 2
- Article 1
- Article 2
- Feed 3
- Article 3
Feed 4 (not labeled)
- Article 4

You can click on any bucket (label/feed) and get to its contents.

- I would like to stay away from new UI elements that have never
been seen before on Android.

- If a trade off needs to be made I would value simplicity over
power.

- The UI should also take into account "all articles", "shared
articles", "starred articles", "friends' shared articles".

- Navigation should be quick (so keep the long press for
administrative purposes).

- As I always have a NewsRob user in mind who is queuing up for
something with a grocery bag in hand, it is very important to me that
one handed navigation is possible: I most cases that means finger
navigation (so no small icons like a small +-symbol).

So, what do you think? If you have screenshots to share, please do.

Cheers,
Mariano

Marcus

Mar 13, 2009, 10:14:04 AM3/13/09
to NewsRob User Group
Sorry, Mariano, for not appreciating your numerous ideas :-), but for
me, everything is perfect the way it is today:

- don't need to see the feeds since I've grouped them in meaningful
folders.
- if I really really want to see starred articles on my G1, guess
what, I open Google Reader in the android browser ..... :-) But since
I mainly star articles which I want to review when I am at a desktop
PC, this is quite rare.

But somewhere else you told you were planning to make it configurable
on a per-feed-basis whether, by default, the feed content or the web
content is displayed first. This would be really great!!

Marcus.