Bush calls for more juvenile facilities

UPI

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

Bush calls for more juvenile facilities

MARLIN, Texas, Feb. 18 (UPI) - Gov. George W. Bush is calling for
more room in Texas Youth Commission facilities for violent juvenile
offenders. Touring a juvenile lockup (Wednesday) in Marlin, just east of
Waco, Bush said the state is making progress on juvenile crime, but that
more space is needed ``to enforce strict consequences for bad behavior.''

bc-tx-juvenile
--------
This article remains the property of United Press International and is not
to be modified or redistributed in any way. It is provided as information
through license arrangement between UPI and Pathlink Technology Corporation.

UPI

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

Bush calls for more juvenile facilities

MARLIN, Texas, Feb. 18 (UPI) - After getting a first-hand look at a
juvenile lockup in Central Texas, Gov. George W. Bush has called for

more room in Texas Youth Commission facilities for violent juvenile
offenders.

Bush today called on the Legislature to approve an additional 330
secure beds for the TYC in the 1999 regular session. The space is
needed, he said, because juvenile justice reforms enacted in the last
two sessions mean that youthful offenders are spending more time behind
bars.

Bush said, ``We are making progress, but we need to make sure we have
adequate space to enforce strict consequences for bad behavior.''

Bush made his remarks after touring the Marlin Orientation and
Assessment Unit in Marlin, just east of Waco. He called the facility an
example of Texas' ``tough-love'' approach to juvenile crime.

The former prison unit was reopened in August 1995 as the intake and
assessment facility for all juvenile offenders committed to the TYC.
Offenders arrive in arm and leg restraints, surrender their clothes for
uniforms, get crew cuts, walk single file and follow an intensely
structured 16-hour daily schedule.

Bush said, ``This is not a place where young people want to come. It
is not a child care facility anymore. It is a correctional facility.
There's no free time here, only serious time designed to give young
people a clear message to straighten up and change their lives.''

The governor said although violent juvenile crime has decreased 20
percent since he took office, ``we can't let our guard down.''
--

Copyright 1998 by United Press International.

All rights reserved.