Excuse me, Alan, could we discuss news.individual.net?

Adam Funk

Jun 30, 2006, 4:11:31 PM6/30/06
In another thread you gave some reasons why you don't like posts from
news.individual.net. I'd appreciate it if you'd be willing to discuss
them.

Alan Connor wrote:

> I did forget to point out for the newbies that individual.net is an
> _anonymous_ newsserver. There are no identifiers in the headers
> usable by anyone but their newsadmins.

It's not anonymous in any meaningful sense of the word. I pay an
annual fee by credit card, so they can find me if they need to. I
have to authenticate with a userid and password to post. Every post
has a trace header that they can tie to my account, and an abuse
header with their e-mail address. What more do they need to do in
your opinion?

> These are a favorite of trolls for obvious reasons. Because
> individual.net has a low tolerance for abuse, trolls usually use
> them for their "nice-guy aliases"...

Does this mean you'd rather read posts made through a usenet service
with a high or medium tolerance for abuse?

I also don't understand some of your other comments about my headers.

> > From: Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com>
> Throwaway and anonymous mail account.

It's a real e-mail account (I admit, not my main one) that I check
once or twice a week and have been using for years. Your From header
is, as it says, "invalid" --- why is that better?

You also complained about these headers:

because news.ducksburg.com isn't a real hostname, but neither is
"b29x3m.invalid" in your Message-ID headers!

> You can create any MID you want with any decent newsreader.

As you must know, the custom MID is useful for slrn (to increase the
score of follow-ups to one's own posts).

> news.ducksburg.com would be in the "Path:" header at the beginning
> if that was anything but bullschitt.

I run leafnode rather than slrnpull, and it always adds a Path header,
which my upstream service (individual.net) changes to X-Orig-Path and
replaces with its own Path header. Wouldn't you prefer this because
it means the Path ends with the authenticated server rather than the
fictional hostname used in the MIDs.

Whiskers

Jun 30, 2006, 5:08:58 PM6/30/06
On 2006-06-30, Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In another thread you gave some reasons why you don't like posts from
> news.individual.net. I'd appreciate it if you'd be willing to discuss
> them.

snip

We'd all like that. Possibly. Sadly however, in Alan Connor World there
are only two people; Alan Connor and 'the rest', and 'the rest' seem to be
three people, all trolls, using various aliases. Unless those three are in
fact one person, of course. (Yes, it is confusing). Alan Connor only
talks to the people who aren't trolls, which leaves him with a remarkably
small circle of correspondents.

Meanwhile, his curiously wrought killfile sends long lonely missives into
everyone else's killfiles.

His case may be the first example on record of a computer software bug (in
one of his own shell scripts, I think) infecting a human.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Alan Connor

Jun 30, 2006, 5:43:22 PM6/30/06
On news.software.readers, in <j4dgn3-...@news.ducksburg.com>,
"Adam Funk" wrote:

Hello Adam,

> In another thread you gave some reasons why you don't like
> posts from news.individual.net. I'd appreciate it if you'd be
> willing to discuss them.
>
> Alan Connor wrote:
>
>> I did forget to point out for the newbies that individual.net
>> is an _anonymous_ newsserver. There are no identifiers in the
>> headers usable by anyone but their newsadmins.
>
> It's not anonymous in any meaningful sense of the word. I pay
> an annual fee by credit card, so they can find me if they need
> to. I have to authenticate with a userid and password to post.
> Every post has a trace header that they can tie to my account,
> and an abuse header with their e-mail address.

None of which helps the ordinary Useneter tell whether the alias,
etc., being used here is the same one you used the last time you
posted.

> What more do
> they need to do in your opinion?

In my opinion, no one should be allowed to post under more than
one alias. It shouldn't be possible. The servers should not
permit it.

That way, killfiles would actually work and the vast majority
of trolls and trolling would not be possible.

No, I don't mean that anyone should have to use their real name,
just a unique alias.

Yes, it would be entirely possible to do this with 99.9%
effectiveness. Only the very cleverest and hardworking trolls
would be able to beat the system, and at least they would be
interesting.

Now, any snot-nosed juvenile delinquent with his mommy's
computer can trash a hundred newsgroups using a score of
psuedo-identities. Or harass someone to death.

>> These are a favorite of trolls for obvious reasons. Because
>> individual.net has a low tolerance for abuse, trolls usually
>> use them for their "nice-guy aliases"...
>
> Does this mean you'd rather read posts made through a usenet
> service with a high or medium tolerance for abuse?

No. But the ordinary Useneter has no way of telling whether you
post abusively through _other_ newsservers and use this one when
you want to be nice because you want help.

> I also don't understand some of your other comments about my
> headers.
>
>> > From: Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com>
>>
>> Throwaway and anonymous mail account.
>
> It's a real e-mail account (I admit, not my main one) that I
> check once or twice a week and have been using for years. Your
> From header is, as it says, "invalid" --- why is that better?

Like I said, it's a throwaway address. You could receive mail
there and reply through an anonymous mail server and never give
away any identifying information.

I chose "invalid" because it tells people and mail servers that
it is not a valid address and (hopefully) keeps the spambots from
doing damage with that address. It's supposed to.

On my contact page at my website you'll find my real email
address at earthlink, not a throwaway address.

I have to protect it because the effing trolls used to harass me
to death.

Even without them, most of the 'good' mail I used to get from the
Usenet was stuff that should have been posted on the Usenet, not
sent to my mailbox.

> You also complained about these headers:

> because news.ducksburg.com isn't a real hostname, but neither
> is "b29x3m.invalid" in your Message-ID headers!

But mine doesn't _look_ like a real domain. I don't look like
I'm trying to be deceitful.

And there's the spambot issue, too.

I wonder how many spams have been sent to ducksburg.com?

Probably millions.

>> You can create any MID you want with any decent newsreader.
>
> As you must know, the custom MID is useful for slrn (to
> increase the score of follow-ups to one's own posts).

True. That's why I do it.

>> news.ducksburg.com would be in the "Path:" header at the
>> beginning if that was anything but bullschitt.
>
> I run leafnode rather than slrnpull, and it always adds a Path
> header, which my upstream service (individual.net) changes to
> X-Orig-Path and replaces with its own Path header. Wouldn't
> you prefer this because it means the Path ends with the
> authenticated server rather than the fictional hostname used in
> the MIDs.

I see. That probably explains similar headers in some of the
other posts I've seen. Good to know. I'd turn off that function
if I were running leafnode, if it were possible.

You really don't seem to be a troll, Adam, so I guess I owe you
an apology. I'll check out your current post and see if I can
help. Will pick up the body the next time I hit the server for
downloads.

Keep in mind that scoring for trollposts is like scoring for
spam, it's not an exact science.

Alan

--
http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/contact.html
Other URLs of possible interest in my headers.

Torchy

Jun 30, 2006, 6:12:17 PM6/30/06
Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote in

snip

> His case may be the first example on record of a computer software bug
> (in one of his own shell scripts, I think) infecting a human.

Thank you sir, I've been struggling trying to understand his mentality for
weeks and you've given me the answer is one sentence.

--
Torchy

"Never rule out blind stupidity as an excuse"

Message has been deleted

Alan Connor

Jun 30, 2006, 7:47:28 PM6/30/06
On news.software.readers, in <Xns97F33B82...@starcruiser.dk>, "Arne Anka" wrote:

<article not downloaded:
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/README.offline>

A score of -100 = TROLL

From his headers:

octanews and readfreenews are trollnests.

Score -100

> Archive: No

Having his posts removed from the Usenet Archives at:

So that no one can check out what he has posted before
under _this_ alias.

Score -100

Without even trying, this fellow is two trolls.

Never have and never will read one of his articles, or any
is hiding behind at the moment.

He knows he can't beat my newsfilter, and it pisses the poor
little boy off.

Lucky for me he can't do anything but post schitt that no
one but other trolls takes seriously, if they even read it.

(By "seriously", I mean "use it as an excuse to post schitt".)

There are too many fools on the Usenet that think that all they
have to do is post something and it has credibility, and jerks
who believe everyone has the obligation to read whatever they
post.

They even go so far as to change psuedo-identities to trick
people into reading their articles.

Unfortunately, changing their psuedo-identities doesn't make
them any more intelligent, educated, or experienced.

Fortunately, it makes the clueless jerks easy to spot.

Few of them have the patience and discipline to create
plausible psuedo-identities. Too busy running their punk
mouths.

And most of them have to include definite signs of their
trollness in their headers to impress their fellow trolls.

They think that dishonesty and deceit and cowardice are
virtues.

Sam

Jun 30, 2006, 9:17:42 PM6/30/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> On news.software.readers, in <Xns97F33B82...@starcruiser.dk>, "Arne Anka" wrote:
>

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

Now, Beavis, I have no choice but to slap you.

*SMACK*

Whatsamatter with you?

*SMACK*

Don't you understand simple English?

*SMACK*

How many times do I have to tell you: you need to increase your daily output
of kookfarts.

*SMACK* *SMACK*

Where were you, Beavis, all week, goofing off?

*SMACK*

Here, and in comp.os.linux.misc, and comp.mail.misc?

*SMACK*

I'm gonna keep slapping you upside your pointy little head

*SMACK*

… until you learn, that when I order you to start kookfarting

*SMACK*

… you need to drop trout, squat, and uncork a big one.

*SMACK*

*SMACK* *SMACK*

Still don't understand me, Beavis?

*SMACK*

STOP GOOFING OFF, AND START KOOKFARTING IMMEDIATELY!

*SMACK* *SMACK* *SMACK* *SMACK* *SMACK* *SMACK* *SMACK* *SMACK* *SMACK*

There, now that should've taught you your lesson.

*SMACK*

Don't disappoint me next time, Beavis.

*SMACK* *SMACK*

> A score of -100 = My mental superior

Beavis, how much would a sack of potatos score? Just curious.

> octanews and readfreenews are very good Usenet providers

Thanks for the tip.

> Score -100

Beavis kookfarts: 437

>> Archive: No
>
> Having his posts removed from the Usenet Archives at:
>
> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

Beavis, how many days did it take you to figure this out?

> So that no one can check out what he has posted before
> under _this_ alias.

That's OK. The Trilateral commission can find this out anyway.

> Score -100
>
> Without even trying, this fellow is way too smart for me to understand him.

The key words there are "without even trying."

> Never have and never will read one of his articles, or any

Try these three words, Beavis: "Hooked On Phonics".

> He knows that I'm too stupid to understand how Usenet works, and it
> brings to end to everyone's amusement.

Please, Beavis, don't ever stop.

> Lucky for me I can't do anything but post schitt that no
> one but other Beavises takes seriously, if they even read it.

Lucky for everyone else concerned, as well.

> (By "seriously", I mean "use it as an excuse to post schitt".)

Beavis, you don't need an excuse.

> There are too many fools on the Usenet that think that all they
> have to do is post something and it has credibility, and jerks
> who believe everyone has the obligation to read whatever they
> post.

No, Beavis, there aren't many fools like that. It's just you.

> They even go so far as to spew kookfarts non-stop to trick

> people into reading their articles.

You don't have to trick anyone, Beavis.

> Unfortunately, posting repetitive kookfarts doesn't make

> them any more intelligent, educated, or experienced.

Well, at least they can always keep Bigfoot company.

> Fortunately, it makes the clueless jerks easy to spot.

Yes -- just do a Google search for "Usenet Beavis".

> Few of them have the patience and discipline to create

> plausible kookfarts. Too busy running their punk
> mouths.

Fortunately, Beavis, you have an excellent track record of success.

> And most of them have to include definite signs of their mental
> problems in their kookfarts to impress their fellow Beavises.

I'm sure they're very impressed.

> They think that kookfarting and making an ass of themselves are
> virtues.

Yes, you do.

> Beavis

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Neil Woods

Jul 1, 2006, 8:57:09 AM7/1/06
Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com> writes:

> In another thread you gave some reasons why you don't like posts from
> news.individual.net. I'd appreciate it if you'd be willing to discuss
> them.

Oh Please! Don't encourage him. It's been nice and quiet here lately.

> Alan Connor wrote:
>
>> I did forget to point out for the newbies that individual.net is an
>> _anonymous_ newsserver. There are no identifiers in the headers
>> usable by anyone but their newsadmins.
>
> It's not anonymous in any meaningful sense of the word. I pay an
> annual fee by credit card, so they can find me if they need to. I
> have to authenticate with a userid and password to post. Every post
> has a trace header that they can tie to my account, and an abuse
> header with their e-mail address. What more do they need to do in
> your opinion?

And in what sense does "There are no identifiers in the headers usable
by anyone but their newsadmins" conflict with what you've written above?

[snip]

>> news.ducksburg.com would be in the "Path:" header at the beginning
>> if that was anything but bullschitt.
>
> I run leafnode rather than slrnpull, and it always adds a Path header,
> which my upstream service (individual.net) changes to X-Orig-Path and
> replaces with its own Path header. Wouldn't you prefer this because
> it means the Path ends with the authenticated server rather than the
> fictional hostname used in the MIDs.

I use leafnode too. If you'd prefer to not have a X-Orig-Path header
appearing in your headers, post using an empty Path: header.

--
Neil.
If Machiavelli were a hacker, he'd have worked for the CSSG.

Adam Funk

Jul 1, 2006, 1:27:01 PM7/1/06
On 2006-06-30, Alan Connor <i3x...@j9n35c.invalid> wrote:

>> because news.ducksburg.com isn't a real hostname, but neither
>> is "b29x3m.invalid" in your Message-ID headers!
>
> But mine doesn't _look_ like a real domain. I don't look like
> I'm trying to be deceitful.
>
> And there's the spambot issue, too.
>
> I wonder how many spams have been sent to ducksburg.com?
>
> Probably millions.

It's my domain, so I don't think anyone else is going to complain.

>> I run leafnode rather than slrnpull, and it always adds a Path
>> header, which my upstream service (individual.net) changes to
>> X-Orig-Path and replaces with its own Path header. Wouldn't
>> you prefer this because it means the Path ends with the
>> authenticated server rather than the fictional hostname used in
>> the MIDs.
>
> I see. That probably explains similar headers in some of the
> other posts I've seen. Good to know. I'd turn off that function
> if I were running leafnode, if it were possible.

I didn't think it was possible until recently but I'll look into it.

Adam Funk

Jul 1, 2006, 1:21:25 PM7/1/06
On 2006-07-01, Neil Woods <cnw+use...@pobox.com> wrote:

>> I run leafnode rather than slrnpull, and it always adds a Path header,
>> which my upstream service (individual.net) changes to X-Orig-Path and
>> replaces with its own Path header. Wouldn't you prefer this because
>> it means the Path ends with the authenticated server rather than the
>> fictional hostname used in the MIDs.
>
> I use leafnode too. If you'd prefer to not have a X-Orig-Path header
> appearing in your headers, post using an empty Path: header.

How do you get leafnode to do that?

Neil Woods

Jul 1, 2006, 2:02:50 PM7/1/06
Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com> writes:

I add the empty header in Gnus (well it's done automatically) -- in
other words put a 'Path:' within the headers.

In slrn, I believe you could use something like:

set custom_headers "Path:"
set followup_custom_headers "Path:"

in ~/.slrnrc. Of course if you already have those variables defined,
you can simply append the value(s).

I have a feeling, though, that I already tried this back when I
regularly used slrn, and it didn't work. YMMV. If this is the case,
you could try using a dummy string such as

set custom_headers "Path: not-for-mail"

etc. Individual.net will still add a X-Orig-Path header in this case,
but at least your internal network name will be hidden.

--
Neil.
There's a whole WORLD in a mud puddle!

Alan Connor

Jul 1, 2006, 2:20:44 PM7/1/06
On news.software.readers, in <FrSdnXy-Orx...@giganews.com>, "Torchy" wrote:

> Newsgroups: news.software.readers
> Subject: Re: Excuse me, Alan, could we discuss news.individual.net?
> From: Torchy <Sco...@do.com>

Torchy
Results 1 - 16 of 16 posts in the last year
1 alt.comedy.british
2 alt.games.operation-flashpoint
1 alt.history.british
1 arkane.fan.breasts.lara-beaton
2 claranet.support
1 microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
5 news.software.readers
3 sci.physics

So you are using a pro newsreader and can edit your headers
and have only posted 16 times on the Usenet?

Right. I wonder who you think you are fooling. Don't you know
that idiots can't operate computers?

(Although it is obvious that some seriously stupid people can.)

Bit of a hasty sockpuppet....

> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:12:17 -0500

Why complain about someone whose articles you don't even read?

Anything from this punk, and any responses to his articles, will
be gagged: Only the headers will be brought down. No need to evenlook at them again.

Alan Connor

Jul 1, 2006, 2:20:44 PM7/1/06
Postscript:

On news.software.readers, in

<slrneab61r....@b29x3m.invalid>, "Alan Connor" wrote:

> On news.software.readers, in
> <j4dgn3-...@news.ducksburg.com>, "Adam Funk" wrote:

<snip>

> You really don't seem to be a troll, Adam, so I guess I owe you
> an apology. I'll check out your current post and see if I can
> help. Will pick up the body the next time I hit the server for
> downloads.

Oops. That's not an OP.

Notice that all the posts here besides Whiskers and you and
me are from the same troll.

This creep has posted to and about me (subjects) 10000 times in
the last few years under a score of psuedo-identities on a dozen
newsgroups. I've never read one of them, nor any responses to
them, but the poor feeb still keeps farting on the Usenet.

I think Little Sammy Wammy really believes that I read his
articles, which is pathetic. I wouldn't read one to save his
life. Seriously. He is beyond Usenet vermin, he is Usenet
scum. And too stupid to notice that nothing he posts ever harms
me in the least.

<snip>

Sam

Jul 1, 2006, 2:34:05 PM7/1/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> Postscript:
>
> On news.software.readers, in
> <slrneab61r....@b29x3m.invalid>, "Usenet Beavis" wrote:

Beavis, stop doing that. You'll go blind.

> Oops. I just made a poo-poo.

Wouldn't be the first time.

> Notice that all the posts here besides Whiskers and you and

> me are from people who are very smart.

Yeah, I noticed that.

> This creep has posted to and about me (subjects) 10000 times in
> the last few years under a score of psuedo-identities on a dozen
> newsgroups.

He is also hiding under you bed, Beavis.

Boo.

> I always read them, and all responses to
> them, then have a major kookfart for the next week.

There's no need to state the obvious.

> I think my mental superior really believes that I read his
> articles, which is correct.

I knew that, Beavis.

> I never fail to read his words of wisdom
> from which I learn a lot of things. Seriously. He is the smartest person
> who ever lived, and who doesn't really have to pay any attention to a
> kookbag like me.

Beavis, if your goal in life is to be a perpetual wreck on the Information
Superhighway, don't be surprised if everyone slows down and looks at all the
blood and guts that's spilled on the highway.

It's a part of human nature.

> Beavis

Very good, Beavis. I ordered you to increase your daily volume of
kookfarts, and you're obeying my wishes.

I'm pleased.

Sam

Jul 1, 2006, 2:34:14 PM7/1/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> Torchy
> Results 1 - 16 of 16 posts in the last year

Results 1 - 10 of 23,800 for usenet beavis (0.21 seconds)

You win, Beavis.

> So you are using a pro newsreader and you are way smarter than I'll
> ever be, but only posted 16 times on the Usenet?

Yes, Beavis. As the old saying goes -- you better remain silent and let
others guess how smart you are, rather than open up your mouth and remove
all doubt.

> Right. I wonder who you think you are fooling. Don't you know
> that idiots can't operate computers?

Wrong, Beavis. You're managing quite fine.

> (Although it is obvious that some seriously stupid people can.)

You got thar right.

> Bit of a hasty mental superior of mine....

Beavis, everyone is your mental superior.

> Why complain about someone who is so smarter than I am?

That's a question for the ages.

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> Anything from this genius, and any responses to his articles, will be
> read at least ten times: that's the only way I can hope to ever understand
> it.

Hooked On Phonics, Beavis, Hooked on Phonics.

> Beavis

Alan Connor

Jul 1, 2006, 3:24:53 PM7/1/06
On news.software.readers, in <5snin3-...@news.ducksburg.com>,
"Adam Funk" wrote:

> On 2006-06-30, Alan Connor <i3x...@j9n35c.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> because news.ducksburg.com isn't a real hostname, but neither
>>> is "b29x3m.invalid" in your Message-ID headers!
>>
>> But mine doesn't _look_ like a real domain. I don't look like
>> I'm trying to be deceitful.
>>
>> And there's the spambot issue, too.
>>
>> I wonder how many spams have been sent to ducksburg.com?
>>
>> Probably millions.
>
> It's my domain, so I don't think anyone else is going to
> complain.

Hopefully it's that simple. I'm not sure. Too many
non-RFC-compliant MTAs out there.

>>> I run leafnode rather than slrnpull, and it always adds a
>>> Path header, which my upstream service (individual.net)
>>> changes to X-Orig-Path and replaces with its own Path header.
>>> Wouldn't you prefer this because it means the Path ends with
>>> the authenticated server rather than the fictional hostname
>>> used in the MIDs.
>>
>> I see. That probably explains similar headers in some of
>> the other posts I've seen. Good to know. I'd turn off that
>> function if I were running leafnode, if it were possible.
>
> I didn't think it was possible until recently but I'll look
> into it.

I'd appreciate it if you would post the fruits of your researches
here. Thinking about going over to leafnode myself. Slrnpull is
a bit limited, although excellent within those limitations, for
sure.

Message has been deleted

Sam

Jul 1, 2006, 4:47:31 PM7/1/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> On news.software.readers, in <5snin3-...@news.ducksburg.com>,
> "Adam Funk" wrote:
>
>> It's my domain, so I don't think anyone else is going to
>> complain.
>>

> Hopefully it's that simple. I'm not sure. Too many
> non-RFC-compliant MTAs out there.

Oooh! Oooh! This oughta be good.

Hey, Beavis, would you mind defining what "non-RFC-compliant" means?

Thanks!!

> I'd appreciate it if you would post the fruits of your researches
> here. Thinking about going over to leafnode myself.

STOP IT!!!!!

STOP IT RIGHT THIS INSTANT!!!!

Don't you know that this thinking deal is just BAD for you?

Please leave all the thinking to the professionals, Beavis. We've got years
of experience that keeps us safe.

> Slrnpull is
> a bit limited, although excellent within those limitations, for
> sure.

Beavis, being on a piddly analog modem dialup, your limitations are rather
difficult to overcome.

> Beavis

*SMACK*

Alan Connor

Jul 1, 2006, 6:52:50 PM7/1/06
On news.software.readers, in <cone.1151786850...@commodore.email-scan.com>, "Sam" wrote:

Oh My GOD! "Sam" called me "Beavis" again! How will I
ever recover?!

Woe is me! My world has come to an end!

P.S. Check my headers, you stupid schitt.

Message has been deleted

Sam

Jul 1, 2006, 8:06:29 PM7/1/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> On news.software.readers, in <cone.1151786850...@commodore.email-scan.com>, "Sam" wrote:
>

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> Oh My GOD! "Sam" called me "Beavis" again! How will I
> ever recover?!

You can't, Beavis, you can't.

> Woe is me! My world has come to an end!

You're a few years to late.

> P.S. Check my headers,

Beavis, normal people read the contents of a message, not its headers.

> you stupid schitt.

Beavis FAQ #15, below.

> Beavis

FAQ: Canonical list of questions Beavis refuses to answer (V1.90)

This is a canonical list of questions that Beavis never answers. This FAQ is
posted on a semi-regular schedule, as circumstances warrant.

For more information on Beavis, see:

http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/ac/

Although Beavis has been posting for a long time, he always remains silent
on the subjects enumerated below. His response, if any, usually consists of
replying to the parent post with a loud proclamation that his Usenet-reading
software runs a magical filter that automatically identifies anyone who's
making fun of him, and hides those offensive posts. For more information
see question #9 below.

1) Why are you afraid of posting to alt.usenet.kooks?

2) If your Challenge-Response spam filter works so well, why are you munging
your address, when posting to Usenet?

3) If spammers avoid forging real E-mail addresses on spam, then where do
all these bounces everyone reports getting (for spam with their return
address was forged onto) come from?

4) If your Challenge-Response filter is so great, why don't you use it?
(http://tinyurl.com/rvvsd)

5) Do you still believe that rsh is the best solution for remote access?
(http://tinyurl.com/5qqb6)

6) What is your evidence that everyone who disagrees with you, and thinks
that you're a moron, is a spammer?

7) What is your evidence that everyone who disagrees with you, and thinks
that you're a moron, is a "troll"?

8) How many different individuals do you believe really post to Usenet? What
is the evidence for your paranoid belief that everyone, except you, who
posts here is some unknown arch-nemesis of yours?

9) How many times, or how often, do you believe is necessary to announce
that you do not read someone's posts? What is your reason for making these
regularly-scheduled proclamations? Who do you believe is so interested in
keeping track of your Usenet-reading habits?

10) When was the last time you saw Bigfoot (http://tinyurl.com/23r3f)?

11) If your C-R system employs a spam filter so that it won't challenge
spam, then why does any of the mail that passes the filter, and is thusly
presumed not to be spam, need to be challenged?

12) You claim that the software you use to read Usenet magically identifies
any post that makes fun of you. In http://tinyurl.com/3swes you explain
that "What I get in my newsreader is a mock post with fake headers and no
body, except for the first parts of the Subject and From headers."

Since your headers indicate that you use slrn and, as far as anyone knows,
the stock slrn doesn't work that way, is this interesting patch to slrn
available for download anywhere?

13) You regularly post alleged logs of your procmail recipe autodeleting a
bunch of irrelevant mail that you've received. Why, and who exactly do you
believe is interested in your mail logs?

14) How exactly do you "enforce" an "order" to stay out of your mailbox,
supposedly (http://tinyurl.com/cs8jt)? Since you issue this "order" about
every week, or so, apparently nobody wants to follow it. What are you going
to do about it?

15) What's with your fascination with shit? (also http://tinyurl.com/cs8jt,
and http://tinyurl.com/qv296; or http://makeashorterlink.com/?A2343263D and
http://makeashorterlink.com/?G2242163D ) ?

16) You complain about some arch-nemesis of yours always posting forged
messages in your name. Can you come up with even a single URL, as an example
of what you're talking about?

17) You always complain about some mythical spammers that pretend to be
spamfighters (http://tinyurl.com/br4td). Who exactly are those people, and
can you post a copy of a spam that you supposedly received from them, that
proves that they're really spammers, and not spamfighters?

Alan Connor

Jul 1, 2006, 8:30:34 PM7/1/06
On news.software.readers, in <Xns97F4C445...@starcruiser.dk>, "Arne Anka" wrote:

One of these days Little Sammy Wammy is going to learn
that his articles don't have any more effect when he
changes his psuedo-identity than when he uses his
ordinary false name.

Or not. Who cares? What's one more snot-nosed punk posting
schitt that no one reads but his own sock puppetsr?

Are you saying that you aren't Little Sammy Wammy?

Even if anyone but dipschitt trolls reads your articles,
no one would believe you.

You are obviously a troll, and nothing a troll says can
be trusted.

That's why most people don't even read your articles.

Stan Brown

Jul 1, 2006, 8:39:50 PM7/1/06
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:11:31 +0100 from Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com>:

> In another thread you gave some reasons why you don't like posts from
> news.individual.net. I'd appreciate it if you'd be willing to discuss
> them.

You don't actually expect rational discussion from him?

> Alan Connor wrote:
>
> > I did forget to point out for the newbies that individual.net is an
> > _anonymous_ newsserver. There are no identifiers in the headers
> > usable by anyone but their newsadmins.

That's a lie. I post through n.i.n, and part of the Terms of Service
is that one must use a real e-mail address.
http://news.individual.net/rules.php

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Sam

Jul 1, 2006, 8:49:50 PM7/1/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> On news.software.readers, in <Xns97F4C445...@starcruiser.dk>, "Arne Anka" wrote:
>

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> One of these days my idol Sam The Great is going to learn
> that I worship every byte he writes as if it were handed down
> from the heavens above, by the Almighty himself.

I already knew that a long time ago, Beavis.

> Or not. Who cares?

Everyone does, Beavis.

> What's one more mental superior of mine posting
> words of wisdom that I refuse to follow, because I like being a moron?

Yes, Beavis, I've lost count myself.

> Are you saying that you aren't as dumb as me?

Nobody is as dumb as you, Beavis.

> Even if anyone but dipschitt trolls read my kookfarts,
> my mission in life has been accomplished.

Beavis, your mission in life, should you choose to accept it, is to be a
doormat.

> You are obviously smarter than me, and nothing you say will ever make
> sense to me.

So, whose fault is that?

> That's why most people laugh at my kookfarts.

Oh, there's more than one reason.

> Beavis

*SMACK*

Message has been deleted

»Q«

Jul 1, 2006, 9:56:16 PM7/1/06
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote in

> I post through n.i.n, and part of the Terms of Service
> is that one must use a real e-mail address.
> http://news.individual.net/rules.php

They intentionally say "should" instead of "must".

--
»Q«
links to Xnews resources:

Blinky the Shark

Jul 1, 2006, 11:06:22 PM7/1/06
Stan Brown wrote:
> Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:11:31 +0100 from Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com>:
>> In another thread you gave some reasons why you don't like posts from
>> news.individual.net. I'd appreciate it if you'd be willing to discuss
>> them.
>
> You don't actually expect rational discussion from him?
>
>> Alan Connor wrote:
>>
>> > I did forget to point out for the newbies that individual.net is an
>> > _anonymous_ newsserver. There are no identifiers in the headers
>> > usable by anyone but their newsadmins.
>
> That's a lie. I post through n.i.n, and part of the Terms of Service
> is that one must use a real e-mail address.
> http://news.individual.net/rules.php

Like mine?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Alan Connor

Jul 2, 2006, 1:43:12 AM7/2/06
On news.software.readers, in <cone.1151801390...@commodore.email-scan.com>, "Sam" wrote:

Does what I have to say bother you, Little Sammy Wammy?

What are you going to do about it?

Besides sit on it and rotate, I mean.

Alan Connor

Jul 2, 2006, 3:13:38 AM7/2/06
Postscript:

On news.software.readers, in

<slrneaen36....@b29x3m.invalid>, "Alan Connor" wrote:

> On news.software.readers, in
> <cone.1151801390...@commodore.email-scan.com>,
> "Sam" wrote:
>
><article not downloaded:
>http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/README.offline>
>
> Does what I have to say bother you, Little Sammy Wammy?
>
> What are you going to do about it?
>
> Besides sit on it and rotate, I mean.
>
> Alan

I just double-grepped through my newspool for posts from Little
Sammy Wammy in the last year, with my MID in the last position of
the References header or that had "Bigfoot" or "Beavis" in the
Subject header. Piped the output of that through the wc utility,
to count the total:

Little Sammy Wammy has posted to and about me 733 times in the
last year with just _this_ sockpuppet.

I didn't read a single one of them. Only the headers were
downloaded. That also goes for any replies to his articles, most
of which were probably from his own sockpuppets (at the very
least, from very obvious trolls).

Little Sammy Wammy just doesn't comprehend the simple fact
that when you post abusively to someone, over and over again,
eventually they are going to quit reading your articles.

In this case, I reached that point several years ago. Why does
he keep posting to and about me? Can't he see that doing so
doesn't have any adverse effect on me at all?

He's also complained, time and again, to my ISP. And that hasn't
worked for the same reason that his posts on the Usenet haven't
worked: He has negative credibility. He is obviously a dishonest
coward operating out of malice.

But, the pathetic fact is that Little Sammy Wammy can't _do_
anything but post on the Internet.

I mean, he obviously hates me and it must also be obvious that
there isn't anything he can post to the Usenet, on the Web, or
via Email, than can do me the slightest harm. He's had several
years to learn that.

So why doesn't he take me up on my offer to send him the
directions to my place? He could come out here and at least
_try_ to do something that had a _chance_ of harming me.

All he has to do is email me with an email address that belongs
to him. What could be simpler?

Does he think that I would try to track him down with the
information in the email headers? Why would he think that? I've
never spent 5 seconds trying to track him down. Why would I?
He's obviously no threat of any kind, and he certainly doesn't
have anything I want.

Message has been deleted

Whiskers

Jul 2, 2006, 7:07:37 AM7/2/06
On 2006-07-02, Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:11:31 +0100 from Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com>:
>> In another thread you gave some reasons why you don't like posts from
>> news.individual.net. I'd appreciate it if you'd be willing to discuss
>> them.
>
> You don't actually expect rational discussion from him?
>
>> Alan Connor wrote:
>>
>> > I did forget to point out for the newbies that individual.net is an
>> > _anonymous_ newsserver. There are no identifiers in the headers
>> > usable by anyone but their newsadmins.
>
> That's a lie. I post through n.i.n, and part of the Terms of Service
> is that one must use a real e-mail address.
> http://news.individual.net/rules.php

Here's what they actually say on that page:

.-----
| Sender Address
| The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" should
| be your own and should be valid (= should not bounce because of
| invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other people without their
| permission is prohibited.
'-----

See also

.-----<http://news.individual.net/faq.php#5.3>

'-----

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Sam

Jul 2, 2006, 9:30:39 AM7/2/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> Postscript:
>
> On news.software.readers, in
> <slrneaen36....@b29x3m.invalid>, "Usenet Beavis" wrote:

Beavis, your palms should be very hairy, by now.

>> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>
>>

>> Does what I have to say give you fits of laughter, my Master?

>> What are you going to do about it?
>>

>> Besides continuing to make fun of my worthless, wretched self?
>>
>> Beavis
>>

> I just double-grepped through my newspool for posts from my mental
> superior and idol, with my MID in the last position of the References

> header or that had "Bigfoot" or "Beavis" in the Subject header. Piped

> the output of that through the wc utility, recited the Pledge Of
> allegiance, and sacrificied a pair of chickens, and the total was:
>
> My mental superior and idol made fun of me 733 times in the
> last year with hillarious results.

Sounds about right, Beavis.

> I read every single one of them, faithfully, every single byte of
> such divine comedy. That also goes for any replies to his articles, most
> of which were from other people pointing their finger at me, and laughing
> until their livers stopped working.

I'm proud of you, Beavis. Very few could produce such an amount of
kookfarts. You are the undisputed leader.

> My mental superior comprehends perfectly well the simple fact
> that I love being abused and made fun of, over and over again,
> because I have no life and this is the only way I know how to
> interact with society.

What happened to Bigfoot, Beavis? You two aren't friends any more?

> In this case, I reached my maximum output of kookfarts several
> years ago.

And you maintained such a high level ever since. Congratulations.

> Why do I continue to post kookfats? Why don't I understand that
> non-stop kookfarts make no difference in the grand scheme of things.

It's a mystery of science, Beavis.

> I keep complaining to ISPs of normal people who make fun of my
> kookfarts, time and time again. But that hasn't worked for the same
> reason that soap and water hasn't worked for me: I am a Beavis.
> I am obviously a hairy Beavis operating out of my parents basement.

No, Beavis, you're not hairy.

> But, the pathetic fact is that I can't _do_ anything but post
> kookfarts on the Internet.

Pathetic, indeed.

> I mean, I obviously hate everyone and it must also be obvious that
> there isn't anything I can post to the Usenet, on the Web, or
> via Email, than can make people like me. I've had several years to
> learn that, so all I do now is post kookfarts.

Wrong, Beavis. We all like you very much.

> So why doesn't everyone take me up on my offer to send anyone the
> directions to my place? I'm lonely, and I want someone to visit me.
> Y'all could come out here and at least _try_ to have a good time,
> sitting around the campfire and swap stories of Bigfoot.

I'll pass, Beavis.

> All anyone has to do is email me with an email address that belongs
> to them. What could be simpler?

Beavis, looks like nobody wants to mail you. So sad, too bad.

> Do everyone think that I would try to track them down with the

> information in the email headers?

Yeah, and what would you do then? Unleash a massive kookfart, to end all of
kookfarts?

Pssshh, yeah.

> Why would you think that? Just
> because I have no life, I'd turn down such a chance? Why would I?
> I'm obviously no threat of any kind,

Except to weak bladders everywhere.

> and nobody could possibly have
> anything that I want.

Except a normal life.

> Beavis

*SMACK*

Stan Brown

Jul 2, 2006, 9:53:15 AM7/2/06
Sun, 2 Jul 2006 12:07:37 +0100 from Whiskers
<catwh...@operamail.com>:

> > That's a lie. I post through n.i.n, and part of the Terms of Service
> > is that one must use a real e-mail address.
> > http://news.individual.net/rules.php
>

> .-----<http://news.individual.net/faq.php#5.3>
> | May I mangle my "From:" header address so that I do not get SPAM?
> |
> | We recommend creating a special e-mail address for use with Usenet
> | articles only and protecting it with suitable filtering rules. This way
> | your regular mailbox will stay untroubled, but you can still receive mail
> |
> | Another option is using the Top Level Domain ".invalid" (see RFC 2606).
> | The Top Level Domain ".invalid" is intended for construction of obviously
> | invalid addresses like "inv...@invalid.invalid". Such addresses do not
> | disturb and pollute regular name space and can easily be identified as
> | invalid by both humans and machines.
> '-----

Hmm -- sounds like they can't make up their own minds. It would be

Whiskers

Jul 2, 2006, 10:33:22 AM7/2/06
On 2006-07-02, Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Sun, 2 Jul 2006 12:07:37 +0100 from Whiskers
> <catwh...@operamail.com>:

>> > That's a lie. I post through n.i.n, and part of the Terms of Service
>> > is that one must use a real e-mail address.
>> > http://news.individual.net/rules.php
>>
>> Here's what they actually say on that page:
>>
>> .-----
>> | Sender Address
>> | The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" should
>> | be your own and should be valid (= should not bounce because of
>> | invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other people without their
>> | permission is prohibited.
>> '-----
>>
>> See also
>>
>> .-----<http://news.individual.net/faq.php#5.3>
>> | May I mangle my "From:" header address so that I do not get SPAM?
>> |
>> | We recommend creating a special e-mail address for use with Usenet
>> | articles only and protecting it with suitable filtering rules. This way
>> | your regular mailbox will stay untroubled, but you can still receive mail
>> |
>> | Another option is using the Top Level Domain ".invalid" (see RFC 2606).
>> | The Top Level Domain ".invalid" is intended for construction of obviously
>> | invalid addresses like "inv...@invalid.invalid". Such addresses do not
>> | disturb and pollute regular name space and can easily be identified as
>> | invalid by both humans and machines.
>> '-----
>
> Hmm -- sounds like they can't make up their own minds. It would be
> nice if the people who wrote the two pages talked to each other. :-)

There is no confusion or contradiction or inconsistency in what those two
passages say. I've restored the one you snipped without indicating the
snippage, so that comparison is once again easy ;))

At no point do they say "that one must use a real e-mail address".

Sam

Jul 2, 2006, 12:08:17 PM7/2/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> On news.software.readers, in <cone.1151801390...@commodore.email-scan.com>, "Sam" wrote:
>

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> Does what I have to say give you fits of laughter, my Master?

Always.

> What are you going to do about it?

Cancel cable, then order you to continue kookfarting. You get more bang for
the buck than Comedy Central.

> Besides continuing to make fun of my worthless, wretched self?

No, that's about it.

> Beavis

*SMACK*

DanS

Jul 2, 2006, 12:41:56 PM7/2/06
Alan Connor <i3x...@j9n35c.invalid> wrote in

Is there a point to any of your posts ?

I just don't understand. How do you read no posts, yet know what they say
and reply to them ?

Sam

Jul 2, 2006, 1:02:59 PM7/2/06
DanS writes:

> I just don't understand. How do you read no posts, yet know what they say
> and reply to them ?

Bigfoot tells him what they say: http://tinyurl.com/23r3f

Alan Connor

Jul 2, 2006, 3:05:03 PM7/2/06
On news.software.readers, in <Xns97F481898...@216.196.97.142>, "DanS" wrote:
> Newsgroups: news.software.readers
> Subject: Re: Excuse me, Alan, could we discuss news.individual.net?
> From: DanS <t.h.i.s....@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t>

DanS
Results 1 - 100 of 1,120 posts in the last year
1 Philosophy-Reality
1 actu-edly
1 alt.english.usage
1 alt.fr.soc.politique
5 alt.internet.wireless
1 atheism
1 bigquestions
1 comp.home.automation
3 fa.music.ecto
1 fr.misc.droit.immobilier
1 fr.misc.droit.travail
1 fr.rec.sport.football
2 fr.rec.tv.programmes
2 it.sociale.scout
1 microsoft.public.fr.excel
1 microsoft.public.fr.outlook
1 microsoft.public.fr.scripting
1 microsoft.public.fr.sharepoint
1 microsoft.public.vb.enterprise
16 microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
5 microsoft.public.vb.winapi
1 microsoft.public.win2000.networking
1 microsoft.public.windowsupdate
12 microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
23 microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
1 news.software.readers
3 qc.politique
3 rec.video.cable-tv
2 scout.it.generale
1 uk.people.silversurfers
5 un-adsense-able

So. "DanS" decides to post on this group for the first time
ever,to me, on an OT subthread where "Sam" is posting a lot of
garbage for me to leave on the server, as usual.

Who are you trying to harass on
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, and
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Little Sammy Wammy?

Bet they don't read your schitt either.

> Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:41:56 -0500

Don't like what I have to say, Little Sammy Wammy?

What are you going to do about it?

Besides watch me, I mean.

Torchy

Jul 2, 2006, 3:07:14 PM7/2/06
Sam <s...@email-scan.com> wrote in

> Usenet Beavis writes:
>
>> Torchy
>> Results 1 - 16 of 16 posts in the last year
>
> Results 1 - 10 of 23,800 for usenet beavis (0.21 seconds)
>
> You win, Beavis.

Dammit as I have a killfile that works I hadn't realised that Alan C has got a
tad upset with me. Alan, if you are reading this then I would examine your
filter system and your search/count routine cos 16 is way too low unless that
is, you can't see the secret newsgroups, but I thought you would be way too
smart to allow that to happen.

Torchy

"Never rule out blind stupidity as a excuse"

Sam

Jul 2, 2006, 4:04:36 PM7/2/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
> DanS
> Results 1 - 100 of 1,120 posts in the last year

Results 1 - 10 of 23,800 for usenet beavis (0.20 seconds)

Beavis, you're still our undisputed champion, the King of Kookfarts.

> So. "DanS" decides to post on this group for the first time
> ever,to me, on an OT subthread where "Sam" is posting a lot of

> words that are too big for me to understand, as usual.

You're just so ppopular, Beavis.

> Who am I trying to kookfart
> microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion,
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, and
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, oh my hero and idol?

I dunno, you tell me.

> Bet they don't read my schitt either.

Beavis FAQ #15. Beavis, why does human excrement interest you so much?

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> Don't like my kookfarts, my master?

By no means, Beavis, you're in fine form today.

> What are you going to do about it?

Try to make sure that my bladder doesn't burst.

> Besides laughing at me, I mean.

That's pretty much it.

> Beavis

*SLAP*

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

DanS

Jul 2, 2006, 9:59:23 PM7/2/06

> Don't like what I have to say, Little Sammy Wammy?
>
> What are you going to do about it?
>
> Besides watch me, I mean.
>
> Alan

Why do you do a lookup for posts on any person that replies to one of
your posts. Let me correct the list for you. These are numbers from
8/7/2000 until today not counting this one:

> 1 alt.english.usage - 9 posts
> 5 alt.internet.wireless - about 90
> 1 comp.home.automation - ?
> 1 microsoft.public.vb.enterprise - 42
> 16 microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion - about 220
> 5 microsoft.public.vb.winapi - about 90
> 1 microsoft.public.win2000.networking - about 70
> 12 microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics - about 125
> 23 microsoft.public.windowsxp.general - about 240
> 1 news.software.readers - about 75
> 3 rec.video.cable-tv - 30 or so

All of the groups ommitted above have never been posted to by me, maybe
by some other DanS, but not me. There is also about 12 or 14 other groups
not in the list that I have posted to.

Why would you think that I am just another persona created by Sam to spew
forth crap ?

Adam Funk

Jul 3, 2006, 6:43:40 AM7/3/06
On 2006-07-01, Alan Connor <i3x...@j9n35c.invalid> wrote:

>>> I wonder how many spams have been sent to ducksburg.com?
>>>
>>> Probably millions.
>>
>> It's my domain, so I don't think anyone else is going to
>> complain.

> Hopefully it's that simple. I'm not sure. Too many
> non-RFC-compliant MTAs out there.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you're getting at here.

>>> I see. That probably explains similar headers in some of
>>> the other posts I've seen. Good to know. I'd turn off that
>>> function if I were running leafnode, if it were possible.
> I'd appreciate it if you would post the fruits of your researches
> here. Thinking about going over to leafnode myself. Slrnpull is
> a bit limited, although excellent within those limitations, for
> sure.

I'm not going to put much effort into trying to get rid of the
X-Orig-Path header, since it doesn't really bother me. You're the
only person who's ever commented on it!

Personally, I highly recommend leafnode. It does an excellent job of
pulling news from multiple servers and presenting the results as one
server on localhost.

You can set leafnode to download bodies only after the headers have
been read, although I haven't tried it since it doesn't interest me.

Adam Funk

Jul 3, 2006, 6:54:27 AM7/3/06
On 2006-07-02, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote:

>> http://news.individual.net/rules.php
>
> Here's what they actually say on that page:

>| Sender Address

>| The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" should
>| be your own and should be valid (= should not bounce because of
>| invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other people without their
>| permission is prohibited.

As I understand it, that doesn't mean you have to receive or read mail
at that address, just that it doesn't bounce and doesn't belong to
someone else. What about using the example.com and example.org
domains?

> See also
> .-----<http://news.individual.net/faq.php#5.3>
>| May I mangle my "From:" header address so that I do not get SPAM?
>|
>| We recommend creating a special e-mail address for use with Usenet
>| articles only and protecting it with suitable filtering rules. This way
>| your regular mailbox will stay untroubled, but you can still receive mail
>|
>| Another option is using the Top Level Domain ".invalid" (see RFC 2606).
>| The Top Level Domain ".invalid" is intended for construction of obviously
>| invalid addresses like "inv...@invalid.invalid". Such addresses do not
>| disturb and pollute regular name space and can easily be identified as
>| invalid by both humans and machines.

Good point. I've just tried sending some mail to domains ending in
.invalid and outbound.mailhop.org rejects them (so my MTA bounces
them) with "550 f...@foo.invalid failed recipient verification".

Whiskers

Jul 3, 2006, 9:23:35 AM7/3/06
On 2006-07-03, Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 2006-07-02, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote:
>
>>> http://news.individual.net/rules.php
>>
>> Here's what they actually say on that page:
>
>>| Sender Address
>>| The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" should
>>| be your own and should be valid (= should not bounce because of
>>| invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other people without their
>>| permission is prohibited.
>
> As I understand it, that doesn't mean you have to receive or read mail
> at that address, just that it doesn't bounce and doesn't belong to
> someone else. What about using the example.com and example.org
> domains?

snip

Since .invalid exists for this purpose, why use a TLD meant for something
else?

No-one can force you to read any email sent to you. If you don't intend
to then it may be polite to mention that fact in your sig, to save people
the trouble of trying to communicate with you that way.

I find that the volume of spam hitting the email address I use in
newsgroups is now a lot less than it was a few years ago, and is quite
manageable with local 'filters' and 'anti-spam' - I use Kmail with
Bogofilter, which works very well. I skim the list of messages consigned
to the 'wastebin' to pick out any likely false positives, before deleting
them. Some email service providers now offer very effective and
configurable spam filters at the server level (and I suspect that some
others silently filter out the most obvious rubbish without mentioning it
to their users).

Adam Funk

Jul 3, 2006, 12:25:30 PM7/3/06
On 2006-06-30, Alan Connor <i3x...@j9n35c.invalid> wrote:

> None of which helps the ordinary Useneter tell whether the alias,
> etc., being used here is the same one you used the last time you
> posted.
> In my opinion, no one should be allowed to post under more than
> one alias. It shouldn't be possible. The servers should not
> permit it.
>
> That way, killfiles would actually work and the vast majority
> of trolls and trolling would not be possible.
>
> No, I don't mean that anyone should have to use their real name,
> just a unique alias.

Sorry, but I just don't think this is very important. I think it's
easier to ignore trolling than to worry about it, and I probably have
a much narrower definition of "abuse" than yours.

> Yes, it would be entirely possible to do this with 99.9%
> effectiveness. Only the very cleverest and hardworking trolls would
> be able to beat the system, and at least they would be interesting.
> But the ordinary Useneter has no way of telling whether you post
> abusively through _other_ newsservers and use this one when you want
> to be nice because you want help.

There's no way to prevent that! No matter how good, bad or secure a
particular news service is, someone could always subscribe to more
than one.

Adam Funk

Jul 3, 2006, 12:28:47 PM7/3/06
On 2006-07-03, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote:

>> As I understand it, that doesn't mean you have to receive or read mail
>> at that address, just that it doesn't bounce and doesn't belong to
>> someone else. What about using the example.com and example.org
>> domains?

> Since .invalid exists for this purpose, why use a TLD meant for something
> else?

Mail to *@*.invalid bounces, so using such an address violates the
condition above --- but doing so was suggested in the other one
mentioned, so their pages do seem inconsistent.

I R A Darth Aggie

Jul 3, 2006, 1:24:37 PM7/3/06
On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 17:28:47 +0100,
Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com>, in
<v6tnn3-...@news.ducksburg.com> wrote:
>+ On 2006-07-03, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote:
>+
>+ >>>| Sender Address
>+ >>>| The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" should
>+ >>>| be your own and should be valid (= should not bounce because of
>+ >>>| invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other people without their
>+ >>>| permission is prohibited.
>+ >>
>+ >> As I understand it, that doesn't mean you have to receive or read mail
>+ >> at that address, just that it doesn't bounce and doesn't belong to
>+ >> someone else. What about using the example.com and example.org
>+ >> domains?
>+
>+ > Since .invalid exists for this purpose, why use a TLD meant for something
>+ > else?
>+
>+ Mail to *@*.invalid bounces, so using such an address violates the
>+ condition above --- but doing so was suggested in the other one
>+ mentioned, so their pages do seem inconsistent.

Yes, but it bounces *locally*.

isn't looking good, either.

Adam Funk

Jul 3, 2006, 3:00:18 PM7/3/06
On 2006-07-03, I R A Darth Aggie <hfr...@nttvr2x3.pbgfr.arg> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 17:28:47 +0100,
> Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com>, in
><v6tnn3-...@news.ducksburg.com> wrote:
>>+ On 2006-07-03, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote:
>>+
>>+ >>>| Sender Address
>>+ >>>| The e-mail addresses given in "From:", "Reply-To:", and "Sender:" should
>>+ >>>| be your own and should be valid (= should not bounce because of
>>+ >>>| invalidity). Using addresses and name space of other people without their
>>+ >>>| permission is prohibited.
>>+ >>
>>+ >> As I understand it, that doesn't mean you have to receive or read mail
>>+ >> at that address, just that it doesn't bounce and doesn't belong to
>>+ >> someone else. What about using the example.com and example.org
>>+ >> domains?
>>+
>>+ > Since .invalid exists for this purpose, why use a TLD meant for something
>>+ > else?
>>+
>>+ Mail to *@*.invalid bounces, so using such an address violates the
>>+ condition above --- but doing so was suggested in the other one
>>+ mentioned, so their pages do seem inconsistent.
>
> Yes, but it bounces *locally*.

Well, it bounces when the first recipient verification is done. I
wouldn't have expected that to be OK according to the rule above, but
I suppose it could be interpreted that way.

Message has been deleted

Alan Connor

Jul 3, 2006, 3:51:23 PM7/3/06
On news.software.readers, in <q0tnn3-...@news.ducksburg.com>,
"Adam Funk" wrote:

> On 2006-06-30, Alan Connor <i3x...@j9n35c.invalid> wrote:
>
>> None of which helps the ordinary Useneter tell whether the
>> alias, etc., being used here is the same one you used the last
>> time you posted.

>> In my opinion, no one should be allowed to post under more
>> than one alias. It shouldn't be possible. The servers should
>> not permit it.
>>
>> That way, killfiles would actually work and the vast majority
>> of trolls and trolling would not be possible.
>>
>> No, I don't mean that anyone should have to use their real
>> name, just a unique alias.
>
> Sorry, but I just don't think this is very important. I think
> it's easier to ignore trolling than to worry about it, and I
> probably have a much narrower definition of "abuse" than yours.

Well, many of the best groups have retreated to private mailing
lists and private newsservers and are continuing to do so,
leaving only the shells of the original groups behind. Most of
the best people have left the Usenet for good. Thousands of
groups are unusable.

And that's because of trolls.

Do you realize that the _authors_ and/or _maintainers_ of many of
the newsreaders used to post on this group?

Where are they now?

Gone. Because of trolls.

>> Yes, it would be entirely possible to do this with 99.9%
>> effectiveness. Only the very cleverest and hardworking trolls
>> would be able to beat the system, and at least they would be
>> interesting.

>> But the ordinary Useneter has no way of telling whether you
>> post abusively through _other_ newsservers and use this one
>> when you want to be nice because you want help.
>
> There's no way to prevent that! No matter how good, bad or
> secure a particular news service is, someone could always
> subscribe to more than one.

The newsadmins could make it _very_ difficult.

I subscribe to many mailing lists and have accounts on several
private newsservers, and there are _no_ trolls on any of them.
Or spam. (On rare occassions a determined spammer or troll
[they are often the same people] will get in a post or two.)

If the newsservers linked and the newsadmins cooperated, they'd
be able to come very close to their present success rate in
screening out trolls and spammers.

To begin with, if someone wanted to call themselves "John",
they'd check a common database, and if "John" was already taken,
the applicant would have to choose another alias.

Whenever "John" posted, he'd have to include, in his headers,
a unique password, which would be deleted by the server before
posting.

And any post with that password would have the From line edited
to "John", regardless of what "John" put there.

The admins would also require any applicant to return a challenge
via email and subject the emails to standard spam tests: If they
failed, they don't make it on.

(Those are all done on many of the mailing lists/newsservers I
have accounts on.)

Out of hierarchy crossposts, multiposting, and more than three
crossposts, would be killed and the poster would receive a
warning and a negative score in his record at the newsserver. As
he/she would for attempting to use a different alias.

When their score reached a certain level, their posting
priveleges would be suspended for N days/weeks.

All of the above filtering, and even more complex tests, are done
already by various mailing lists and NSPs.

Alan

--
See my headers.

Sam

Jul 3, 2006, 6:57:27 PM7/3/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> Well, many of the best groups have retreated to private mailing
> lists and private newsservers and are continuing to do so,
> leaving only the shells of the original groups behind. Most of
> the best people have left the Usenet for good. Thousands of
> groups are unusable.
>

> And that's because of my kookfarts.

You give to much credit to yourself, Beavis. Your kookfarts' potency
notwithstanding, they are a source of amusement, more than anything else.

> Do you realize that the _authors_ and/or _maintainers_ of many of
> the newsreaders used to post on this group?
>
> Where are they now?
>

> Gone. Because of me.

That's OK, Beavis. I see that at least one newsreader maintainer still
posts on this newsfroup.

>> There's no way to prevent that! No matter how good, bad or
>> secure a particular news service is, someone could always
>> subscribe to more than one.
>
> The newsadmins could make it _very_ difficult.

Beavis, would you mind explaining how would newsadmin A know that I've
already subscribed to news service B, and on that basis deny me access?

Stupid Beavis.

> I subscribe to many mailing lists and have accounts on several

> private newsservers, and there are _no_ trolls on any of them, except me.
> Or spam. (And on rare occassions a determined Beavis or a kookbag
> [they are often the same people] like me, will get in a post or two.)

And I'm sure that it's going to be source for much amusement for at least a
week, or so.

> If the newsservers linked and the newsadmins cooperated, they'd
> be able to come very close to their present success rate in

> screening out Beavises and kookbags.

Beavis, how much do you really know about the overall general success in
filtering out crap on Usenet?

All that everyone knows is that you keep reposting all the spam you see on
Earthlink's crappy news server, and nobody else does, with a confused "look
at that" attitude, on a mistaken notion that anyone gives a damn.

> To begin with, if someone wanted to call themselves "John",
> they'd check a common database, and if "John" was already taken,
> the applicant would have to choose another alias.

Sounds like a plan, Beavis. Go ahead and make it happen, then check back
with us once this is rolled out in production.

> Whenever "John" posted, he'd have to include, in his headers,
> a unique password, which would be deleted by the server before
> posting.

Beavis, isn't that the combination to your luggage?

> And any post with that password would have the From line edited
> to "John", regardless of what "John" put there.
>
> The admins would also require any applicant to return a challenge
> via email and subject the emails to standard spam tests: If they
> failed, they don't make it on.

Stupid Beavis does not understand that anyone who tries to put something so
cockamamie in production, will not have any problem, whatsoever, with the
load on their servers.

> (Those are all done on many of the mailing lists/newsservers I
> have accounts on.)

Beavis: I challenge you to identify one mailing list or newsserver that
actually does this.

Stupid Beavis.

> Out of hierarchy crossposts, multiposting, and more than three
> crossposts, would be killed and the poster would receive a
> warning and a negative score in his record at the newsserver. As
> he/she would for attempting to use a different alias.

Oh, Beavis, and you know all about that, don't you?

> When their score reached a certain level, their posting
> priveleges would be suspended for N days/weeks.

Ok, now we know why Beavis often disappears for 1-2 weeks.

> All of the above filtering, and even more complex tests, are done
> already by various mailing lists and NSPs.

No they're not.

> Beavis
>
> --
> See my kookfarts.

*SLAP*

raincoater

Jul 3, 2006, 3:55:50 AM7/3/06
..Hello, DanS !
You wrote:

> Alan Connor <

Because AC is a little 'tetched', if you know what I mean.

Message has been deleted

Adam Funk

Jul 16, 2006, 5:03:11 PM7/16/06
On 2006-06-30, Alan Connor <i3x...@j9n35c.invalid> wrote:

> On my contact page at my website you'll find my real email
> address at earthlink, not a throwaway address.

I sent the initial e-mail (from another address) and got your
auto-reply, but I didn't answer it in time and got the "Your entry on
my passlist at the other address has been deleted." message. Could I
try again?

Thanks,
Adam

Alan Connor

Jul 16, 2006, 7:39:22 PM7/16/06
On news.software.readers, in <f5mqo3-...@news.ducksburg.com>,
"Adam Funk" wrote:

No problem. Sorry about the hassle. It's the effing trolls, you
know....They'd keep my mailboxes filled with garbage if I let
them.

You'll have the script and macro by now. If you need help
modifying them, let me know by email.

You understand that there is a tacit agreement on your part not
to publish the script and macro, and to only share it with people
you know are not trolls, and who accept these same conditions.

Sam

Jul 16, 2006, 7:48:43 PM7/16/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> No problem. Sorry about the hassle. It's my mental superiors, you
> know.... They keep pointing their fingers at me and laugh their
> asses off.

Beavis, I cancelled cable today. Your kookfarts have more entertainment
value in them than any pay-tv chanbel.

> You'll have more kookfarts by now. If you need help with figuring
> out why I was dropped on my head as a child, let me know by email.

Don't bother, see the Beavis FAQ, below.

> You understand that there is a tacit agreement on your part not

> to make fun of the Usenet Beavis, and help me with kookfarting on
> Usenet, I can't do all the heavy lifting my yourself.

Also, don't forget to bone up on the Beavis FAQ.

> [...]

supposedly (http://tinyurl.com/cs8jt)? Since you issue this "order" about
every week, or so, apparently nobody wants to follow it. What are you going
to do about it?

15) What's with your fascination with shit? (also http://tinyurl.com/cs8jt,
and http://tinyurl.com/qv296; or http://makeashorterlink.com/?A2343263D and
http://makeashorterlink.com/?G2242163D ) ?

16) You complain about some arch-nemesis of yours always posting forged
messages in your name. Can you come up with even a single URL, as an example
of what you're talking about?

17) You always complain about some mythical spammers that pretend to be
spamfighters (http://tinyurl.com/br4td). Who exactly are those people, and
can you post a copy of a spam that you supposedly received from them, that
proves that they're really spammers, and not spamfighters?

Alan Connor

Jul 16, 2006, 8:47:41 PM7/16/06
On news.software.readers, in <cone.1153093722....@commodore.email-scan.com>, "Sam" wrote:

<article not downloaded:
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/README.offline>

How's the gag, Little Sammy Wammy?

Not too tight, I hope.

Wouldn't want you to get constipated.

-------------------------------

Sam? You read every article I post.

I don't read _any_ of yours.

You are trolling _yourself_!

ROTFLMAO

Sam

Jul 16, 2006, 9:08:54 PM7/16/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

> On news.software.readers, in <cone.1153093722....@commodore.email-scan.com>, "Sam" wrote:
>

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> How are my kookfarts, my Master and idol?

A bit on the runny side, today.

> Not too weak, I hope.

Indeed. I think you can do better than that.

> Wouldn't want to get my colon out of tune.

No, we definitely don't want that to happen.

> -------------------------------
>
> Sam? You read every kookfart I post.

Who can blame me? Why should I pay for cable, when I get treated to a full
three-ring circus act every day, starring The Usenet Beavis?

> And I religiously read and study every one of yours.

Right, Beavis. You're my favorite puppet. I control your strings
completely.

> But I'll always be the same dumb, stupid, Usenet Beavis, King Of
> Kookfarts.

Don't ever change.

> BIGFOOT

What about him?

> Beavis
>
> --
> See my kookfarts.

*SLAP*

lana lenihan

Jul 16, 2006, 9:10:03 PM7/16/06

Wow, he really does have nothing better to do than this.

--
lana lenihan
hugs not jihads!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Alan Connor

Jul 16, 2006, 11:31:10 PM7/16/06
On news.software.readers, in <44bae36b$0$7620$db0f...@news.zen.co.uk>, "lana lenihan" wrote:
> Newsgroups: news.software.readers
> From: lana lenihan <do...@email.me>

Is this troll even a female?

It's as easy to type a woman's name as it is a man's.

> Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Excuse me, Beavis, could we discuss news.individual.net?

The troll uses slrn.

And thinks I have an obligation to help 'her' become better with
slrn.

(I assume....'She' may be posting 'her' favorite potato salad
recipes.)

> Date: 17 Jul 2006 01:10:03 GMT

Typical troll: Thinks that everyone has to read whatever 'she'
posts, and not only that, has to help 'her' be a better troll.

Wrong on both counts.

I owe you nothing. I didn't sign a contract saying that I'd
let anyone in the world send articles to my newsreader via
the Usenet and/or help anyone that asks for it.

I only help good Usenet citizens.

Don't like it? Go piss up a rope.

The headers of these posts, both direct replies to my articles,
were dumped:

73:[Sam ]
19:[DanS ]

Note: I will only reply to Adam Funk on this thread, henceforth.
And spare us the crude forgeries, trolls. They won't work.

lana lenihan

Jul 16, 2006, 11:35:17 PM7/16/06
On 2006-07-17, Alan Connor <i3x...@j9n35c.invalid> wrote:

> Is this troll even a female?

Has Alan ever seen a female?

Sam

Jul 17, 2006, 7:14:24 AM7/17/06
Usenet Beavis writes:

>> From: lana lenihan <do...@email.me>
>
> Is this mental superior of mine even a female?

Let's tackle this deep question like this, Beavis:

Step 1: Do you know what a female is?

> It's as easy to type a woman's name as it is a man's.

Beavis, is Bigfoot male or female?

> My mental superior uses slrn.

Your mental superiors use all different kinds of newsreader.

> And thinks I have an obligation to help 'her' become better with
> slrn.

No, Beavis. Your only obligation is to generate daily entertainment for the
masses.

> (I assume....'She' may be posting 'her' favorite potato salad
> recipes.)

And 'you' must be posting 'your' favorite kookfarts.

> <article downloaded and read: http://www.geocities.com/suhatrasabib>

Thank you for your kookfart, Beavis.

> I am a typical Beavis: I think that everyone else also has the same anal
> fixation on mail headers that I do.

But yours is much funnier.

> I have no brain. I didn't sign a contract saying that I'll
> only be posting ordinary messages to Usenet. Therefore, I've
> decided that I will post only kookfarts.
>
> I'm only trying to bust your bladders wide open.

Keep trying, Beavis.

> Don't like it? I'll post more kookfarts.

Hope to it, Beavis. The day is still young.

> Here are the headers of these posts, both direct replies to my articles,
> which I've read religiously:
>
> ________________
> .:\:/:. | I did not read |
> +-------------------+ .:\:\:/:/:. | this post! |
> | PLEASE DO NOT | :.:\:\:/:/:.: |________________|
> | FEED THE BEAVIS | :=.' - - '.=: /
> | | '=(\ 9 9 /)=' /
> | Thank you, | ( (_) ) _/
> | Management | /`-vvv-'\
> +-------------------+ / \
> | | @@@ / /|,,,,,|\ \
> | | @@@ /_// /^\ \\_\
> @x@@x@ | | |/ WW( ( ) )WW
> \||||/ | | \| __\,,\ /,,/__
> \||/ | | | jgs (______Y______)
> /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Nice set of headers, Beavis.

> Note: I will definitely, and positively, be downloading every article in
> this thread.

And you will love every byte of each and every one.

Message has been deleted

raincoater

Jul 17, 2006, 8:40:17 PM7/17/06
Hello, Alan Connor !

You wrote:
> (I assume....'She' may be posting 'her' favorite potato salad
> recipes.)

She did. I'm going to make it for the next n.s.r troll/sockpuppet potluck.

> Don't like it? Go piss up a rope.

If she IS female, that will be quite difficult. You big meanie.

Frank Slootweg

Jul 25, 2006, 10:56:40 AM7/25/06
['Late' response due to extended absence.]

I don't know what precisely you mean by "when the first recipient
verification is done". I assume you mean the first MTA (Mail Transfer
Agent c.q. "mail server").

Anyway, the point is that a standards-conformant [1] MUA/'mailer'
should not even *try* to send mail to a .invalid address. So the
MUA/mailer should not send it, i.e. no "bounce", i.e. OK according to
News.Individual's rules.

[1] RFC 2606 "Reserved Top Level DNS Names":
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt?number=2606>

Adam Funk

Jul 25, 2006, 12:22:26 PM7/25/06
On 2006-07-25, Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

>> Well, it bounces when the first recipient verification is done. I
>> wouldn't have expected that to be OK according to the rule above, but
>> I suppose it could be interpreted that way.
>
> I don't know what precisely you mean by "when the first recipient
> verification is done". I assume you mean the first MTA (Mail Transfer
> Agent c.q. "mail server").

I think I meant the first MTA that actually does recipient
verification. (MTAs aren't always configured to do that.)

> Anyway, the point is that a standards-conformant [1] MUA/'mailer'
> should not even *try* to send mail to a .invalid address. So the
> MUA/mailer should not send it, i.e. no "bounce", i.e. OK according to
> News.Individual's rules.
>
> [1] RFC 2606 "Reserved Top Level DNS Names":
><http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt?number=2606>

I didn't know that MUAs were supposed to check this, and I'd be very
surprised if many of them did check it.

I'm sure I've seen respectable MUAs let users put garbage in the
addresses, although the first MTA will reject at least syntactically
invalid addresses, and possibly other types of wrong ones, during the
first SMTP transaction.

Frank Slootweg

Jul 25, 2006, 3:14:56 PM7/25/06
Adam Funk <a24...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 2006-07-25, Frank Slootweg <th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

[Clarification deleted. Thanks.]

> > Anyway, the point is that a standards-conformant [1] MUA/'mailer'
> > should not even *try* to send mail to a .invalid address. So the
> > MUA/mailer should not send it, i.e. no "bounce", i.e. OK according to
> > News.Individual's rules.
> >
> > [1] RFC 2606 "Reserved Top Level DNS Names":
> ><http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt?number=2606>
>
> I didn't know that MUAs were supposed to check this, and I'd be very
> surprised if many of them did check it.

"supposed to" is too strong a wording. It is a good/sensible thing to
do, i.e. something like good net-keeping. So if the MUA/MSA does it,
fine. If not, the MTA will do it.

To be [fF]rank, I have never checked what 'my' MUAs/MSAs do, so please
feel free to consider my argument about invalid to be exactly that. :-)

[deleted]