A new OFF THE WALL SOFTWARE PRODUCT from LARRY WALL

Daniel P Faigin

May 13, 1987, 2:06:27 PM5/13/87

We would like to announce, on behalf of Larry Wall (lw...@sdcrdcf.UUCP),
an addition to the already famous line of OFF THE WALL SOFTWARE PRODUCTS (TM):

Geneva Marie
6 lbs 9 oz
Born May 12, 1987, 06:44 AM PDT

Geneva Marie joins the following products already in the OFF THE WALL line
(listed in alphabetical order):

Aron Clark (Age 2)
Heidi Alayne (Age 5)
MetaConfigure (Age 6mo)
Patch (Age 1)
Perl (Age 3mo)
Rn (Age 4)
Warp (Age 10)

Mark Biggar (his brother-in-law) and Daniel Faigin (his officemate)
W: UNiSYS/DS/System Development Group (formerly System Development Corp)
2525 Colorado MD 91-01;Santa Monica CA 90406;213/829-7511
Email: (uucp) fai...@sdcrdcf.UUCP (arpa) faigin%sdcrdc...@CAM.Unisys.COM
Email: (uucp) ma...@sdcrdcf.UUCP (arpa) markb%sdcrdc...@CAM.Unisys.COM
Email: (uucp) lw...@sdcrdcf.UUCP (arpa) lwall%sdcrdc...@CAM.Unisys.COM

Carl S. Gutekunst

May 14, 1987, 12:59:49 PM5/14/87
In article <46...@sdcrdcf.UUCP> fai...@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel P Faigin) writes:
>We would like to announce, on behalf of Larry Wall (lw...@sdcrdcf.UUCP),
>an addition to the already famous line of OFF THE WALL SOFTWARE PRODUCTS (TM):
>
> Geneva Marie
> 6 lbs 9 oz

Available via anonymous ftp?

<csg>

lw...@sdcrdcf.uucp

May 15, 1987, 7:46:09 PM5/15/87
In article <23...@pyramid.UUCP! c...@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
!In article <46...@sdcrdcf.UUCP> fai...@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel P Faigin) writes:
!>We would like to announce, on behalf of Larry Wall (lw...@sdcrdcf.UUCP),
!>an addition to the already famous line of OFF THE WALL SOFTWARE PRODUCTS (TM):
!>
!> Geneva Marie
!> 6 lbs 9 oz
!
! Available via anonymous ftp?

No, I'm afraid some people in marketing got a little ahead of themselves in
announcing this, since the product hasn't been released from the development
group yet. We brought the prototype unit home yesterday for testing but it
still has some bugs--it crashes frequently and spends most of its time
rebooting. Its anti-tamper alarms go off when it hasn't been tampered with,
particularly the middle of the night. It hiccups on the least little
discrepancy in its input. It also seems to work poorly unless it has
excessive insulation around its pedestal. To top it all off, the pedestal
doesn't even support the CPU correctly--we have to run the unit on its side.

We'll be glad to add you to the list of potential beta testers, but only if
you promise to coordinate all improvements through the development group.
Additional qualifications: you should be about 0-4 years old, and be willing
to wait 16-20 years. You also should not expect the beta unit to implement
all the functionality of the final production unit.

We are not sure what colors it will be available in, but the prototype is
painted a reddish-pink, with reddish-brown wiring. While the development
group has expressed an interest in red wiring, the production group
won't commit itself with regard to color, saying that it's a marketing decision.
Management feels the development group should concentrate on making sure
all advertised features work properly, and leave the marketing to those who
don't know how to do anything else...

Hope this clears up some of the confusion out there.

Larry Wall
VP of R&D at OTWSP, Inc.
sdcrdcf!lwall

Juergen Christoffel

May 23, 1987, 4:42:19 PM5/23/87
in article <46...@sdcrdcf.UUCP>, fai...@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel P Faigin) says:

> We would like to announce, on behalf of Larry Wall (lw...@sdcrdcf.UUCP),
> an addition to the already famous line of OFF THE WALL SOFTWARE PRODUCTS (TM):
>
> Geneva Marie

Hmm, I'm wondering wether this is shareware :-) :-) :-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist - congratulations Larry)