ANNOUNCEMENT: comp.databases.mysql to be created by fiat

NAN Team

Sep 16, 2005, 3:15:18 PM9/16/05
As stated in our "Voting Threshold Adjusted for Group Passage"
announcement, lower voting totals have indicated to us that there
is a need to lower the bar for group creation. In fact, we originally
instituted a +50 rule in place of the old +100 rule.

It is our opinion that the comp.databases.mysql proposal failed due
to flaws in the newsgroup creation system rather than lack of merit
in the proposal. We are about to open the floor to a general
discussion of how newsgroup creation should be done going forward,
but that discussion is likely to take weeks or months to resolve.
Rather than leaving this group in limbo for that period, or requiring
a re-proposal that is unlikely to provide any additional information,
we therefore intend to create it by fiat, or according to our strong
belief that it is a viable group and indeed that the recently
completed voting likely demonstrates as much.

There will be a 5-day discussion period of this intention in
news.groups, effectively extending the standard 5-day discussion
period following any vote. Then a final decision will be made.

In addition to the benefits this decision might have for people who
want to use this newsgroup, it has an important additional benefit
from our perspective. It allows us one way to test the hypothesis
that the +100 rule was not working well in 2005, i.e. that it was
failing to distinguish viable from non-viable groups.

Todd McComb for NAN Team

NAN Team

Sep 21, 2005, 3:16:30 PM9/21/05
The group will be created, for the reasons already indicated. It
should begin appearing on servers very soon.