starbucks

uptown@mymamashouse

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
With all the hubbub about whether they'll allow Starbucks to move into
the old florist shop on St Charles, I ask you: is Starbucks actually
capable of making a decent cup of coffee? As a coffee nut, this is
very important to me! I am repeatedly disappointed by the quality of
the coffee on offer at the Starbucks inside Barnes and Noble on Vets.
It stinks, IMHO. Do they not know how to brew it up right at that
location? Or are Starbucks' beans lousy all over! The prospect of
Starbucks moving into the area and possibly wiping out my favorite
locally owned coffee houses is a concern. CC's is the best in town,
as far as the chains go.

m.

metonymy

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
>(Though there are some people who for some reason say they
>actually like Starbucks coffee.)

Starbuck's is hugely over-rated. We really don't need Starbuck's in N.O.
and I would certainly hate to see our home grown coffee chains replaced by
the assholes from Seattle. Starbuck's: Just Say No.

Carlos Froggy May

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98

In article <35cb75d0...@news.compuserve.com>,

<uptown@mymamashouse> wrote:
>With all the hubbub about whether they'll allow Starbucks to move into
>the old florist shop on St Charles, I ask you: is Starbucks actually
>capable of making a decent cup of coffee?
[...]

If you like the coffee at CC's (or PJ's, Cafe du Monde, Morning
Call, or Kaldi's) the answer to your last question is no.

(Though there are some people who for some reason say they
actually like Starbucks coffee.)

The issue of the St. Charles and Washington Ave location is
not just the quality of *$s product; it's a residential
neighborhood that already has a parking problem.

> As a coffee nut, this is
>very important to me! I am repeatedly disappointed by the quality of
>the coffee on offer at the Starbucks inside Barnes and Noble on Vets.
>It stinks, IMHO.

I believe that the B&N location is representative of smaller
Starbucks. The larger *$s additionally have a wider variety
of frozen coffee drinks like "frappichinos".

-- Froggy

* Fro...@neosoft.com ** "The Information Super-Frog" [dibs] *
http://www.angelfire.com/la/carlosmay/

Lenny

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98

uptown@mymamashouse wrote:

> With all the hubbub about whether they'll allow Starbucks to move into
> the old florist shop on St Charles, I ask you: is Starbucks actually

> capable of making a decent cup of coffee? As a coffee nut, this is

> very important to me! I am repeatedly disappointed by the quality of
> the coffee on offer at the Starbucks inside Barnes and Noble on Vets.

> It stinks, IMHO. Do they not know how to brew it up right at that
> location? Or are Starbucks' beans lousy all over! The prospect of
> Starbucks moving into the area and possibly wiping out my favorite
> locally owned coffee houses is a concern. CC's is the best in town,
> as far as the chains go.
>
> m.

Have you tried the coffee at LeMadelines or at Bixbys?

uptown@mymamashouse

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
On Sat, 08 Aug 1998 01:51:57 GMT, Lenny <nol...@bellnospamsouth.net>
wrote:

(snip)

>Have you tried the coffee at LeMadelines

yes, excellent!

or at Bixbys?

I just found Bixby's in Elmwood, but haven't been inside yet. Thanks
for the tip.

Mystyk119

Aug 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/8/98
metonymy wrote:

>We really don't need Starbuck's in N.O.
>and I would certainly hate to see our home grown coffee chains replaced by
>the assholes from Seattle. Starbuck's: Just Say No.

My sentiments exactly. I don't shop at Rite-Aid and I won't be drinking any
Starbucks coffee. I saw a pice on Starbucks on the news the other night
concerning their tactics. They come into a community and deliberately try to
put local companies out of business, it seems.

New Orleans has some of the best coffee in the world. Why settle for something
else just because it's trendy and 'hip'? Thanks, but no thanks.

Reg

Self-Proclaimed Queen and Mystykal Advisor

Ophelia86

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
i would like to actually organize a boycott of starbucks.
they're pretentious,
and not at all kid friendly.
the decor sucks and they all look alike.
and the coffee is lame!!

with all my extra time, right?
the best we can do is continue to frequent our neighborhood cafes.

and i like the locals so much...

dead ophelia

metonymy

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98

Ophelia86 wrote in message

>i would like to actually organize a boycott of starbucks.

I'm in.

metonymy

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98

metonymy

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98

Lenny

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98

Mystyk119 wrote:

Reg,
Let's start a boycott of Rite Aid . Their prices are really high. They have let
most/all of the old KB folks go, closed the warehouse and contributed to
un-employment in the Greater New Orleans area.
Also a Boycott of Starbucks in New Orleans would seem right in view of their
business practices.
Ya'll want to try it and see first hand the power of the NET.
:?) Lenny

metonymy

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
>Let's start a boycott of Rite Aid .

I've already started. I refuse to patronize Rite Aid.

Ann Zewen

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98

Lenny wrote:

>Let's start a boycott of Rite Aid . Their prices are really high. They
have let
>most/all of the old KB folks go, closed the warehouse and contributed to
>un-employment in the Greater New Orleans area.
>Also a Boycott of Starbucks in New Orleans would seem right in view of
their
>business practices.
>Ya'll want to try it and see first hand the power of the NET.

Lenny, I'm with you. I despise Rite-Aid. They operate the only 2 drug stores
with *24-hour* pharmacy service in Mobile. However, from midnight Saturday
until 6 a.m. Sunday, you cannot purchase medications on your insurance plan.
This was not the case when one of these stores was a Harco and the other was
a K&B. They truly were open for service 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. So
now, if you have to go to get a prescription in the middle of the night on
Saturday, you have to pay the inflated, full, regular, non-insurance price
for it and then do battle with your insurance company concerning getting at
least a partial refund. I can't wait until a patient runs into this who
can't wait 6 hours to get their prescription and they file suit against
Rite-Aid for failing to honor the insurance. Unfortunately, I am forced to
shop there on rare occasions, as I was the other night when I picked up a
prescription for my best friend who's bedridden father was running a
temperature of 103. Luckily, it wasn't Saturday night. But the only time I
go to Rite-Aid is if my regular pharmacy (The Medicine Shoppe) is closed and
so are all of the others in town. It's a place of last resort during an
emergency for me; nothing more.

--
Ann
"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." _ Dennis Miller

b.j.knight

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
Me, I like my coffee to be hot, and taste of coffee, not some weird
'flavouring'. Cappuccino made with good quality beans.

I do not know Starbucks, and from the state of things I don't think I want
to!!!

wrote:

> With all the hubbub about whether they'll allow Starbucks to move into
> the old florist shop on St Charles, I ask you: is Starbucks actually
> capable of making a decent cup of coffee? As a coffee nut, this is
> very important to me! I am repeatedly disappointed by the quality of
> the coffee on offer at the Starbucks inside Barnes and Noble on Vets.
> It stinks, IMHO. Do they not know how to brew it up right at that
> location? Or are Starbucks' beans lousy all over! The prospect of
> Starbucks moving into the area and possibly wiping out my favorite
> locally owned coffee houses is a concern. CC's is the best in town,
> as far as the chains go.
>
> m.

brian j.
/Save Our Lake/

metonymy

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
>Lenny, I'm with you. I despise Rite-Aid.

I imagine by now most people have a rite-aid horror story. It's amazing
that one drugstore chain can do so many things wrong in such a short time.
As I talk to people in everyday life ( not on the net ) I'm struck by how
often the subject of rite-aid comes up. Is there anymore out there who has
positive feelings for this chain?

Mystyk119

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
>>Let's start a boycott of Rite Aid .
>
>I've already started. I refuse to patronize Rite Aid.

Me, too. Haven't set foot in one.

uptown@mymamashouse

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
On Sun, 9 Aug 1998 01:24:42 -0500, "metonymy" <meto...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>Ophelia86 wrote in message
>
>>i would like to actually organize a boycott of starbucks.
>

>I'm in.

Me, too! I talk up CC's whenever I get into a conversation about
coffee (which happens pretty frequently, since I'm a big coffee
drinker and tend to carry around a cup of it all day at work). And
just to clariify, I have absolutely no connections with CC's
whatsoever; I just love their coffee and the ambiance of the Magazine
St. shop (compared to the PJ's across the street), and have heard
nothing but bad things about Starbucks, most of which are confirmed by
the pathetic Starbucks in Barnes and Noble. Another god-awful cup of
coffee can be had at the Books-a-Million "coffee shop"--something
Joe's? I thought they'd served me some bad tea! BLECH!

Rue De La Course (sp?) on Magazine is also pretty good, but too dark
and stuffy inside with those green bankers lambs and <gag> chessboards
(or have they taken those away?)

mary (about to go brew up some CC's dark Colombian for the afternoon
fix)

Carlos Froggy May

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
Lenny (nol...@bellnospamsouth.net) wrote:

: Let's start a boycott of Rite Aid . Their prices are really high.

: They have let most/all of the old KB folks go, closed the warehouse
: and contributed to un-employment in the Greater New Orleans area.

True story:

I walked to a "Rite Aid" (because one is several blocks closer to
my home than any other store) to try to buy something that location
used to stock when they were a K&B. I asked the cashier where
they had those little felt or cork circles you could put under
speakers or stuff so they wouldn't scratch a table. She said,
"Yeah, I know what you're talking about. No, we don't have them
any more. We don't carry anything usefull here."

That last sentance sums up Rong Aid pretty well.

Billy Woolfolk

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
I am an from NOLA but am currently living in Tokyo, Japan. In May of
this year I took my first trip home in five and a half years. Two
things that really shocked me were that there were no more K&B's and
that I couldn't "pass by da Time Saver" because there weren't any.

Anyway, I went into the Rite Aid (that used to be K&B) near my
mother's house and while I was waiting at the counter one of the
workers walked up to the manager and the following conversation
ensued:

key:
E = Employee
M= Manager
==================

E: I came in a 10:45 today so I'm leaving at 4:45!

M: But your shift is 11:00-5:00.

E: I told you I came in at 10:45 so I don't have to stay to 5:00.

M: Nobody told you to come in early. You have to wait for your
replacement before you clock out.

E: I'm leaving at 4:45 and you can't do shit about it!

Then the employee walks away with this real cocky walk and the manager
just shakes his head in helpless disgust.

I have been out of the US for nearly a decade and things may have
changed since I've been gone but I've never seen an employee get in a
manager's face like that and get away with it. Is this typical in the
US or is it just typical in Rite Aid? Or was it simply an isolated
incident?

To be honest, I found the service in just about every place I visited
sorely lacking. I went into Shell station, after pumping my gas, and
stood at the counter for a good four or five minutes before the
lowlife behind the counter decided to get off the phone with her
boyfriend and take my money. I felt like just driving away but I am
guessing that is exactly what it would have taken to get her off the
phone with booby and on the phone with 911 so I didn't do it.

I'm planning on moving back to the US in another two years or so and I
hope the whole country hasn't gone to the dogs this way.

fro...@praline.no.neosoft.com (Carlos "Froggy" May) enlightened us
with:

>Lenny (nol...@bellnospamsouth.net) wrote:

>True story:

> -- Froggy

---------------
Billy Woolfolk
To reply via email, remove "NOSPAM" from address.
Spammers, reply without removing anything.
===============

Rue Chatte

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
>I'm planning on moving back to the US in another two years or so and I
>hope the whole country hasn't gone to the dogs this way.

dont worry, in the next two years , the cats will take over. the dogs have had
it long enough, theyre dumb, you know... we tell them what to do, but they get
it all mixed up, well, were gonna let everyone know whos really in
charge.......

Kat - http://www.chattes-ruelle.com
- silver jewelry -
..there is no crime, when there is no one to mourn..
...all is fair in love and war...(meridiem.com)

metonymy

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
>hope the whole country hasn't gone to the dogs this way.

Woof !! Woof !!!!!!

Ann Zewen

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98

Kat wrote in reply to this plaintive cry from abroad:

>>I'm planning on moving back to the US in another two years or so and I

>>hope the whole country hasn't gone to the dogs this way.
>

>dont worry, in the next two years , the cats will take over. the dogs have
had
>it long enough, theyre dumb, you know... we tell them what to do, but they
get
>it all mixed up, well, were gonna let everyone know whos really in
>charge.......

Meeeeeeoooooooowwwwwwww! (Pssssst! It's time to contact the mother ship.)

cha...@e2w.com

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
In article <memo.199808...@bj.cix.co.uk>,

b...@cix.co.uk wrote:
> Me, I like my coffee to be hot, and taste of coffee, not some weird
> 'flavouring'. Cappuccino made with good quality beans.
>
> I do not know Starbucks, and from the state of things I don't think I want
> to!!!

Me, I'm a true european for who life wouldn't taste good without coffee. So,
please, guys, don't boycott Starbucks cause I'm really happy to find something
that taste 'like' coffee when in the USA (not in NO, of course...). Don't
bannish them from NO ... Let them learn ...

Chantal

Ray Jones

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
On 10 Aug 1998, Carlos Froggy May wrote:

> That last sentance sums up Rong Aid pretty well.

I forget which, but either the New Orleans Mailing List members or MAYBE
the readers of the local.gnofn (Greater New Orleans Freenet) came up with
a nickname for them:

Yeah, you right Aid.

--
Regards,

"Big Ray the Cab Driver" Jones - Licensed Tour Guide ICQ UIN 1473313
Author of "The Complete Idiot's Travel Guide to New Orleans"
ISBN 0-02-862303-7

Disseminating info about New Orleans & Louisiana via my web page at
http://www.neosoft.com/~rayjones/welcome.html

or you can join "Big Ray's" New Orleans Mailing List by sending:
subscribe noml To: majo...@communique.net

Ray Jones

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Billy Woolfolk wrote:

> E: I'm leaving at 4:45 and you can't do shit about it!

Having been in retail management for many, many years including 11 for
K&B, I can assure you this is a common attitude ESPECIALLY among
employees in large cities like New Orleans. I can also tell you it is
common for them to get fired for such behavior AT LEAST it was when it
was K&B. K&B was one of the first places I'd worked that really let a
manager MANAGE! At many companies managers are little more than glorified
employees and are allowed little (if any say) in how things are actually
run.

This was the case at several companies I worked for. Needless to say, I
didn't stay there very long.

> Then the employee walks away with this real cocky walk and the manager
> just shakes his head in helpless disgust.

It wouldn't have bothered me a bit. I'd have immediately terminated the
employee for walking off of the job. I've done it many times.

> I have been out of the US for nearly a decade and things may have
> changed since I've been gone but I've never seen an employee get in a
> manager's face like that and get away with it. Is this typical in the
> US or is it just typical in Rite Aid? Or was it simply an isolated

Unfortunately, it is typical behavior at most any place where minimum wage
(or higher but still low-wage) employees are utilized. At least this has
been my experience. Keep in mind, however, that I've lived in or near New
Orleans all of my adult life. I can't speak for other parts of the country
except from what I've heard. From what I've heard from other people, I'd
say it is fairly typical behavior for uneducated and often illiterate
people.

> To be honest, I found the service in just about every place I visited
> sorely lacking. I went into Shell station, after pumping my gas, and

Also typical behavior from the same type of people. I was raised that no
matter how menial a job was, I agreed to work for those wages and do that
job. I should do the best job I possibly could. If I didn't like the job,
quit and get another one. Few people today, however, seem to have this
attitude.

As a taxi driver working for United Taxi in New Orleans, I'm pretty much
my own boss. I work when I want as little or as much as I want. For
instance, I just took the last 8 days in a row off. All my bills are paid
up for the next 30 days. I'm financially stable, etc. I just didn't feel
like working. I needed a vacation, so I took one.

I don't have to take anything I don't want to off of my customers yet I go
out of my way even for the rudest and most idiotic of customers. I've only
kicked one person out of my cab ever.

> I'm planning on moving back to the US in another two years or so and I
> hope the whole country hasn't gone to the dogs this way.

I'm sure the whole country has not, but some of it has. For instance, in
New Orleans it is almost impossible (at most grocery stores anyway) to get
an employee to assist in taking your groceries to your car. Personally, I
don't want any help anyway but I noticed that when I return to Norman,
Oklahoma (where I was grew up) that I had to practically threaten them
(not quite that bad - grin) to keep them from doing it anyway. They insist
it is a part of their job and won't even take tips.

Blue Thunder

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
On Fri, 07 Aug 1998 21:51:07 GMT, uptown@mymamashouse wrote:

>With all the hubbub about whether they'll allow Starbucks to move into
>the old florist shop on St Charles, I ask you: is Starbucks actually
>capable of making a decent cup of coffee? As a coffee nut, this is
>very important to me! I am repeatedly disappointed by the quality of
>the coffee on offer at the Starbucks inside Barnes and Noble on Vets.
>It stinks, IMHO. Do they not know how to brew it up right at that
>location? Or are Starbucks' beans lousy all over! The prospect of
>Starbucks moving into the area and possibly wiping out my favorite
>locally owned coffee houses is a concern. CC's is the best in town,
>as far as the chains go.
>
>m.

I've never tried Starbucks. I'm still getting used to Royal Blend.
However, I've been assured that if Starbucks can't make the best
coffee around, they'll make the most expensive.

Blue Thunder

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
On Fri, 7 Aug 1998 20:52:03 -0500, "metonymy" <meto...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

>>(Though there are some people who for some reason say they
>>actually like Starbucks coffee.)
>

>Starbuck's is hugely over-rated. We really don't need Starbuck's in N.O.

>and I would certainly hate to see our home grown coffee chains replaced by
>the assholes from Seattle. Starbuck's: Just Say No.

Hmmm. I wonder who'll be designated as the one to decide what we need
around here. You don't think the homegrown people can compete?

Blue Thunder

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
On Sun, 09 Aug 1998 16:13:56 GMT, Lenny <nol...@bellnospamsouth.net>
wrote:

> Reg,

>Let's start a boycott of Rite Aid . Their prices are really high. They have let
>most/all of the old KB folks go, closed the warehouse and contributed to
>un-employment in the Greater New Orleans area.

>Also a Boycott of Starbucks in New Orleans would seem right in view of their
>business practices.
>Ya'll want to try it and see first hand the power of the NET.

>:?) Lenny

I hardly think you'll put a dent in Rite Aid's business. Most people,
unfortunately, will go to the nearest pharmacy. Also, K&B is, sadly,
dead and buried.

Blue Thunder

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
On 10 Aug 1998 03:34:52 GMT, fro...@praline.no.neosoft.com (Carlos
"Froggy" May) wrote:

>True story:
>
>I walked to a "Rite Aid" (because one is several blocks closer to
>my home than any other store) to try to buy something that location
>used to stock when they were a K&B. I asked the cashier where
>they had those little felt or cork circles you could put under
>speakers or stuff so they wouldn't scratch a table. She said,
>"Yeah, I know what you're talking about. No, we don't have them
>any more. We don't carry anything usefull here."
>

>That last sentance sums up Rong Aid pretty well.

Did anyone know the Rite-Aid at Lakeside doesn't even have a pharmacy?
A drug store that doesn't sell drugs?

metonymy

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
>I have to agree with you here, Jim. Sometimes, the poorest, most uneducated
>people have the most decency and common sense.

That's quite true.

>The problem, IMO, comes more from the 'ME' generation than anything else.
In
>fact, a lot of what's wrong with today's society can be summed up in those
two
>little letters, 'me'. Some people are so busy trying to figure out what's
in it
>for them in a situation that they don't even notice when someone else may
need
>their assisstance. It's a 20 yr old problem that gets worse and worse with
the
>passage of time. Common courtesy is almost nonexistent nowadays.

I think it's more than a 20 year problem Reg. It's been a problem since
time immemorial. There's a large school of thought which says that human
maturity is marked by an absence of self-centeredness.

JSPRINE

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
> From what I've heard from other people, I'd
>say it is fairly typical behavior for uneducated and often illiterate
>people.

Today I started a Fingerprint School sponsored by the NOPD. I paid the $250
tuition for this course myself, and had to take 3 vacation days to be allowed
to go (I'll spend my next days 'off' in the school, too).

Now, to the point: Half the class is composed of Civilian Employees of the
NOPD, who were required to attend this training. Each of them holds at LEAST a
Bachelor's Degree.

Out of the 6 Civilians attending, one showed up on time, and one was one and a
half hours late. The others straggled in at odd intervals. Two, of course,
didn't bother to show up at all, and never sent word about why they weren't in
class. This is fairly typical behavior, boys and girls. Yes, and these same
people couldn't be bothered to help carry in and set up the technical equipment
for the class, they were too busy socializing.

Ignorance can be cured, but education is no remedy for stupidity...

James S. Prine
http://www.prinebooks.com

Ophelia86

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
i just wanted to say that big ray, you are Why United Rocks.
in desperation i'll take a bell.
but in my spurts in and out of the quarter service industry (and of course
drinking too), united cabs are consistently the cleanest, most comfortable and
speedy in town. but more important than that, you drivers are always awesome
(read: reasonably sane and articulate). never had one i didn't like. i kept
meaning to start documenting my cab rides but never did. oh well.
but that's the difference between rong aid and united. long term employees,
who think for themselves. and solid connections to the immediate community.

gris gris on starbucks, rong aid, and circle K-- the one at esplanade & grand
route st. john has NO hours posted, closes randomly, and has faster turnover
than i don't know what. i even kind of fear cc's, because i'm a true brew
kinda girl. but i think pj's is too 80's (never liked them) and their number's
up. phyllis better get with it. i predict (here in writing) she'll be
starbuck's first victim. still hope i'm wrong though, i don't hate anyone so
much to wish Death By Starbucks on them, even if they do move their important
mini-industry out of my economically depressed neighborhood.
herb import will never go corporate <g>

dead ophelia

Mystyk119

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
Big Ray wrote:

>> From what I've heard from other people, I'd
>>say it is fairly typical behavior for uneducated and often illiterate
>>people.

And Jim added:

>Ignorance can be cured, but education is no >remedy for stupidity...

I have to agree with you here, Jim. Sometimes, the poorest, most uneducated

people have the most decency and common sense.

The problem, IMO, comes more from the 'ME' generation than anything else. In

fact, a lot of what's wrong with today's society can be summed up in those two
little letters, 'me'. Some people are so busy trying to figure out what's in it
for them in a situation that they don't even notice when someone else may need
their assisstance. It's a 20 yr old problem that gets worse and worse with the
passage of time. Common courtesy is almost nonexistent nowadays.

Reg

Mystyk119

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
>I think it's more than a 20 year problem Reg. It's been a problem since
>time immemorial. There's a large school of thought which says that human
>maturity is marked by an absence of self-centeredness.

I'm sure that lack of courtesy has always been around to one degree or another,
but I think it's gotten much worse, especially since the mid-70s or so.

I do agree with you, though, that human maturity/self-actualization is
necessary before people can adequately recognize and respond to the needs of
others. Unfortunately, we seem to be living in a veritable sea of immaturity,
where material possessions and promotion of self are prized above all else.

One last thing, and then I'll shut up <g> People seem to be confused as to how
self-actualization is achieved. It's not how large or how fancy the house you
live in is. It's not the 6-figure income, the cars, boats, or vacations in the
tropics. Self-actualization comes from within, from a still, quiet place.
Americans, in particular, are always so busy trying to fulfill themselves with
'things', that they seldom just sit and experience the quiet long enough to
benefit fully from it. We're on a treadmill which steadily increases in speed,
yet doesn't get us anywhere.

I joke about being the 'mystykal' advisor of NONG, but I do believe that we
need more of the mystical in our lives. We need to take time to be quiet and
reflective, in order to hear what our inner spiritual natures are trying to
tell us. Of course, many factors, such as Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs (or
similar schools of thought) come into play, as well.

This is a complex sociological issue, probably too complex for a few lines in a
NG. Maybe we can discuss it over a bottle of wine sometime :)

Regina

Muzaoo54

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
In article <Pine.NEB.3.95.980810...@praline.no.neosoft.com>,
Ray Jones <rayj...@praline.no.neosoft.com> writes:

>For instance, in
>New Orleans it is almost impossible (at most grocery stores anyway) to get
>an employee to assist in taking your groceries to your car. Personally, I
>don't want any help anyway but I noticed that when I return to Norman,
>Oklahoma (where I was grew up) that I had to practically threaten them
>(not quite that bad - grin) to keep them from doing it anyway. They insist
>it is a part of their job and won't even take tips.

I am delighted that this work ethic still survives in certain grocery stores
where I live. If shopping at night, the company out to the car is a reassurance
for me. It is a determining factor on which store I choose to do the bulk of my
shopping. Since they refuse to accept tips, I make sure the management KNOWS
what good service they are providing.

Muz

Ann Zewen

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98

Regina wrote:

I usually hate to see entire posts repeated, but I'm going to do it this
time myself because I think everything you said above bears repeating --
especially for any who, through the whim of their newsreader, might have
missed the original.

You said some very profound things above, Reg, and all of them are
absolutely true. It's thinking like this that makes you such an interesting
person.

You're right that self-actualization comes from within. As for true
fulfillment, I'd like to venture the opinion that it comes not from
accumulation of things, but from our interaction with people. To help
someone in need (whatever that need might be) and to see them benefit from
your assistance (with or without acknowledgment) brings more fulfillment
than *any* amount of money, accumulation of *toys* or career
advancement/recognition.

metonymy

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
>> Self-actualization comes from within,

Furthermore................." For what is proper to each thing's nature is
supremely best and pleasanrest for it; hence for a human being the life
expressing understanding will be supremely best and pleasantest, if
understanding above all is the human being. This life, then, will also be
happiest."

Aristotle -- Nicomachean Ethics - section 13.38

Mystyk119

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
Ann wrote:

>You said some very profound things above, Reg, and all of them are
>absolutely true. It's thinking like this that makes you such an interesting
>person.

Thank-you, Ann.

>You're right that self-actualization comes from within. As for true
>fulfillment, I'd like to venture the opinion that it comes not from
>accumulation of things, but from our interaction with people. To help
>someone in need (whatever that need might be) and to see them benefit from
>your assistance (with or without acknowledgment) brings more fulfillment
>than *any* amount of money, accumulation of *toys* or career
>advancement/recognition.

Agreed. Oftentimes, we derive the *most* fulfillment when we perform some
small kindness without recognition. It makes me happy to drop a quarter into
someone's expired parking meter or to give a few cents to the kid in the
convenience store who doesn't have quite enough for the candy bar. I get great
pleasure from opening a door for someone who is struggling with a baby carriage
or packages, or whatever. IMO, these little kindnesses are just as important as
larger or more formal contributions to 'causes'.

There was one other thing I wanted to say in my post last night, but it was
late and I forgot. It had to do with Jim's comment about education not being
able to cure ignorance, or something to that effect.

My grandmother was not an 'educated' person. She could read and write, etc, but
I'm not sure if she even finished high school. She was, however, one of the
kindest people I've ever had the honor of knowing. She touched a lot of people
in her life. When she died, there were so many people at her wake that they
spilled out of the assigned parlor and into the main room of the funeral home.
There were hundreds of people there, all saying basically what I had known my
whole life. She was a good person.

I'm not especially 'educated', myself. I am a high school dropout who got a
GED. I got a practical nursing degree from a local vocational school. I've
never taken a college course. Whatever education I have has been mainly
self-inflicted, through reading and through life experiences. I might go to
college one day, or I may not. In the long-run, in *my* greater scheme of
things, it won't matter, though. Don't get me wrong, I hold education in very
high esteem and admire those who have worked hard to complete a formal
education in their chosen fields. For me it will be enough, if, when I die,
people can say I was kind.

Regina <my, but I'm wordy of late (g)>

Mystyk119

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
George wrote:

Exactly!

A small analogy.....A small container with oil and water mixed. So long as we
agitate the container, the water remains cloudy. It's only when we allow the
container to be still that the oil and water will separate and we can see
clearly into the water.

"All answers are already within the self."
.... The Tao

Regina

Ray Jones

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, metonymy wrote:

> >I have to agree with you here, Jim. Sometimes, the poorest, most uneducated
> >people have the most decency and common sense.

> >The problem, IMO, comes more from the 'ME' generation than anything else.

> >their assisstance. It's a 20 yr old problem that gets worse and worse with

> >passage of time. Common courtesy is almost nonexistent nowadays.

> I think it's more than a 20 year problem Reg. It's been a problem since

> time immemorial. There's a large school of thought which says that human
> maturity is marked by an absence of self-centeredness.

There is also a large school of thought which points to air conditioning
as being the culprit. Before we had a/c, everyone sat on their porches to
cool off. As a result, everyone knew their neighbors and what was going on
in the neighborhood. When you know people, you have a tendency to be nice
to them.

Since a/c, many people never see their neighbors. Some don't even know the
names of the people who live in the next house or apartment. Out of sight,
out of mind.

Lenny

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
I joke about being the 'mystykal' advisor of NONG, but I do believe that we
need more of the mystical in our lives. We need to take time to be quiet and
reflective, in order to hear what our inner spiritual natures are trying to
tell us. Of course, many factors, such as Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs (or
similar schools of thought) come into play, as well.

This is a complex sociological issue, probably too complex for a few lines in a
NG. Maybe we can discuss it over a bottle of wine sometime :)

Regina

Are you referring to meditation, mantras, asceticism and out of body experiences?  Been there? Done That?.  Suffer flashbacks?  Let's hire a "psycho" for our next NONG wine and cheese party and we can all fly together.  Can you arrange it Reg?
:?)   Lenny

Mystyk119

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
>Are you referring to meditation, mantras, asceticism and out of body
>experiences? Been there? Done That?. Suffer flashbacks?

Hi Lenny,

Actually, I am referring to meditation, but not in the way most people think of
it. I'm not speaking of New-Age mysticism, but rather, age-old mysticism.

Reg

Mystyk119

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
>>Are you referring to meditation, mantras, asceticism and out of body
>>experiences? Been there? Done That?. Suffer flashbacks?

Addendum:

mantras? nope...quiet
ascetism? nope. not self-denial, self-actualization
Out of body experiences? nope

Suffer flashbacks? Not that I know of. Last time I checked, my brain was
working just fine.

Reg

Ann Zewen

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
Regina wrote:

>My grandmother was not an 'educated' person. She could read and write, etc,
but
>I'm not sure if she even finished high school. She was, however, one of the
>kindest people I've ever had the honor of knowing. She touched a lot of
people
>in her life. When she died, there were so many people at her wake that they
>spilled out of the assigned parlor and into the main room of the funeral
home.
>There were hundreds of people there, all saying basically what I had known
my
>whole life. She was a good person.
>
>I'm not especially 'educated', myself. I am a high school dropout who got a
>GED. I got a practical nursing degree from a local vocational school. I've
>never taken a college course. Whatever education I have has been mainly
>self-inflicted, through reading and through life experiences. I might go to
>college one day, or I may not. In the long-run, in *my* greater scheme of
>things, it won't matter, though. Don't get me wrong, I hold education in
very
>high esteem and admire those who have worked hard to complete a formal
>education in their chosen fields. For me it will be enough, if, when I die,
>people can say I was kind.

Reg, formal education is necessary to some careers and beneficial in and of
itself, but it is not the only route to knowledge; it's just the easiest.
Sometimes, the more difficult route brings greater personal benefit, because
when you learn things on your own, because you want to know them, you truly
*learn* them and don't just cram some information temporarily into the front
of your brain to be regurgitated onto your test paper. I knew people in
college who made A's on their tests, but a week later couldn't answer the
same questions correctly to save their lives. They weren't learning; they
were just memorizing.

My father graduated from high school during the Depression and, because he
had to help support his family, was unable to attend college. And when the
economy got better, he went to war, as did most men his age and younger. So
he *never* attended college. Still, he was one of the most educated men I've
ever known. How did he do it? He read and read and read and read. We took 2
newspapers a day, and he read them both, front to back, every single day. He
also subscribed to a number of magazines, from various news magazines to
Life and Saturday Evening Post to Reader's Digest and National Geographic.
And he read those cover to cover. Plus he read books, lots of books. And he
remembered what he read. He was better read than most college-educated
people I know, and he knew how to apply what he read.

So I know exactly what you mean. He always regretted not having an
*education*, but he had something much, much, much more important. He had
character. And as a result, he was admired, respected and loved throughout
the community -- to a much greater extent than many more *educated* men.

Your goal is an admirable one, Reg. And I have no doubt that when the time
comes, that's exactly what they'll say about you. Because they can say it
now.

And now that's enough of the mushy stuff. It's time to have some NONGville
fun, now that the trolls have slunk back into their holes at least for the
time being. (It sure was nice to log onto NONG and find that 23 messages had
been posted since last I checked, and only one didn't make it through my
kill file.)

Mystyk119

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
And now, back to the business at hand...

It seems the Uptown Preservation Society has put a bit of a monkey wrench into
Starbuck's plans to open on St Charles Ave. They've deemed it a 'fast-food'
establisment and have blocked their opening for the time being, anyway.

metonymy

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
>It seems the Uptown Preservation Society has put a bit of a monkey wrench
into
>Starbuck's plans to open on St Charles Ave. They've deemed it a 'fast-food'
>establisment and have blocked their opening for the time being, anyway.

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! They might also consider making that block a " No Gucci "
zone too. That would put a real dent in the customer flow.

Mystyk119

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
>Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!! They might also consider making that block a " No Gucci "
>zone too. That would put a real dent in the customer flow.

Now, George, Uptown ladies need shoes and handbags. You wouldn't want them to
have to go to a <gasp> mall, would you??

<wink>

metonymy

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
>Now, George, Uptown ladies need shoes and handbags. You wouldn't want them
>have to go to a <gasp> mall, would you??

Heaven Forfend :) Actually, I'd rather see them bare ass naked in PJ's,
than dripping in pearls and satin in Starboob's.

cha...@e2w.com

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
Mystyk119, somewhat mystical yesterday evening ..

> For me it will be enough, if, when I die,
> people can say I was kind.
>
> Regina <my, but I'm wordy of late (g)>

Hey Regina, we can say that you're kind before you die, you know ! Evenmore,
we'll say that you're sensible, intelligent. Nah, nah, this is not enough,
you're also good and tolerant and you have a great sense of humor. This ain't
to be a funeral oration ... it's so funny to see you turn slightly red

Chantal

Lenny

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98

Mystyk119 wrote:

> >Are you referring to meditation, mantras, asceticism and out of body
> >experiences? Been there? Done That?. Suffer flashbacks?
>

> Hi Lenny,
>
> Actually, I am referring to meditation, but not in the way most people think of
> it. I'm not speaking of New-Age mysticism, but rather, age-old mysticism.
>
> Reg

Waddaya think I was referring to? Geez Reg, that new age stuff is so phoney.:?)
Lenny

Mystyk119

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
>Hey Regina, we can say that you're kind before you die, you know !

<modesty dictates that I snip the rest of Chantal's kind words>

Thank-you, Chantal....flattery will get you everywhere <g>

Mystyk119

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
>> Actually, I am referring to meditation, but not in the way most people
>think of
>> it. I'm not speaking of New-Age mysticism, but rather, age-old mysticism.
>>
>> Reg
>
>Waddaya think I was referring to? Geez Reg, that new age stuff is so
>phoney.:?)
>Lenny

Hiya, Len.....Hmmm, I'm not sure if you're making fun of me or not. But, I'm
sure you are aware of true mystics ..... Not people who claim to 'channel'
ancient beings, etc, but people like St Teresa of Avila, Thomas Merton, etc.
Also, I'm sure you are familiar with meditative prayer as practiced by
religious of many different faiths. There *is* a difference :)

Lenny

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98

Mystyk119 wrote:

Reg, We are talking about the same thing baby. Those saints and Francis of
Assisi, among many others, were known ascetics. You think I spent three years
in a Benedictine monastery because I liked the cuisine.:?) Lenny

Mystyk119

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98

>Reg, We are talking about the same thing baby. Those saints and Francis of
>Assisi, among many others, were known ascetics. You think I spent three
>years
>in a Benedictine monastery because I liked the cuisine.:?) Lenny

LOL, probably not! I thought we were on the same wavelength, but sometimes on
da Net its hard to tell :)

cha...@e2w.com

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
Lenny, as a pure ascet, said :

> Reg, We are talking about the same thing baby. Those saints and Francis of
> Assisi, among many others, were known ascetics. You think I spent three years
> in a Benedictine monastery because I liked the cuisine.:?) Lenny

Humm ! Here the monasteries are brewing beers and making cheese. Strong cheese
is only there to let the monks drink without (too much) moderation ...
Hips ! ( local yeehaa)

:0) <== Chantal having tested the 300 local monastery beers

Susan P182

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
Ophelia wrote:
i just wanted to say that big ray, you are Why United Rocks.
in desperation i'll take a bell.
but in my spurts in and out of the quarter service industry (and of course
drinking too), united cabs are consistently the cleanest, most comfortable and
speedy in town. but more important than that, you drivers are always awesome
(read: reasonably sane and articulate). never had one i didn't like. i kept
meaning to start documenting my cab rides but never did. oh well.

Gee.....I'm sure Ray& Dave& I thank you for the nice compliments. Most of us
are characters!
Susan B Puig
Welcome to a New Orleans Taxi
http://members.aol.com/SusanP182/index.html

Ray Jones

Aug 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/14/98
On 14 Aug 1998, Susan P182 wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> i just wanted to say that big ray, you are Why United Rocks.

> Gee.....I'm sure Ray& Dave& I thank you for the nice compliments. Most of us
> are characters!

Hey! I "resemble" that remark. (grin)

OANT, I'm glad I finally met you even though the circumstances didn't
allow for more than a fleeting glance. I didn't notice your number until
you said "You must be Big Ray" or something like that. By that time, the
light had turned green and I didn't want to tie up traffic. Of course, if
I was like so many in New Orleans, we could have got out of our taxis and
had a barbecue in the middle of the street. (g)

bellsouth news

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98

. Is there anymore out there who has
>positive feelings for this chain?
>

>I think this is positive , while riding home one night from picking up some
items from a freind, Wife suggested I stop in to pick up a "personal" item,
well after picking up and paying 13.00$ for this "personal" item we get home
and use it......<g>
and lo and behold it turns up ............POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!
Baby #4 will be delivered in April sometime!!!!!
sean and crystal

tpeeler

Aug 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/15/98

bellsouth news wrote:

Congratulations!

--
Tom Peeler

Remove nospam to reply

"It's a small world, but I wouldn't
want to have to paint it".

Steven Wright

Ann Zewen

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98
Sean wrote:

>Baby #4 will be delivered in April sometime!!!!!

Ah, a great month to be born! I should know. :-)

Kidding aside, more congratulations are in order. My best to you and Crystal
and the new little one.

bellsouth news

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98
Thank you Ann, hey maybe I could talk the wife into leting me set up one of
them pay sites on the web for the birth????

Ann Zewen

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98
Sean wrote:

>Thank you Ann, hey maybe I could talk the wife into leting me set up one of
>them pay sites on the web for the birth????

How easily provoked to violence is she? <vbg>

Smokin' Dave

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98

uptown@mymamashouse got all wired on too many espressos and wrote:

> With all the hubbub about whether they'll allow Starbucks to move into
> the old florist shop on St Charles, I ask you: is Starbucks actually
> capable of making a decent cup of coffee? As a coffee nut, this is
> very important to me! I am repeatedly disappointed by the quality of
> the coffee on offer at the Starbucks inside Barnes and Noble on Vets.
> It stinks, IMHO. Do they not know how to brew it up right at that
> location? Or are Starbucks' beans lousy all over! The prospect of
> Starbucks moving into the area and possibly wiping out my favorite
> locally owned coffee houses is a concern. CC's is the best in town,
> as far as the chains go.
>
> m.

I dropped into the CC's on Carrolton a few months ago and told them I
just wanted a regular cup of Community dark roast. Well, the clerk acted
so horrified at the prospect of having to make, of all things, a cup of
regular Community coffee, he began to jump up and down and scream until
his ears bled and his nosering popped out and fell into someone's
Afghanistan cappucino.

Okay, maybe I exaggerated a little, but I did end up having to settle for
some weird brew from the East African vicinity.

I've learned that, when I want to go out for a cup of coffee, it's much
easier to pop into a Denny's or a Shoney's. There, I can smoke and slouch
around without worrying that some liberal's going to be offended when I
discuss various ways of finally ridding cockroaches with a flamethrower.
And the coffee's usually pretty good, too!

Face it. I wasn't put on this earth to pay $2.50 for a cup of
Czechoslovakian gutter juice, get charged for a refill, then not be able
to light up, kick back in a comfy booth and read the latest issue of 'Butt
Reamers' magazine withoud upsetting somebody.

Afer all, real men don't drink cappucino.....

vcard.vcf

Smokin' Dave

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98

metonymy wrote:

> >(Though there are some people who for some reason say they
> >actually like Starbucks coffee.)
>
> Starbuck's is hugely over-rated. We really don't need Starbuck's in N.O.
> and I would certainly hate to see our home grown coffee chains replaced by
> the assholes from Seattle. Starbuck's: Just Say No.

Better yet, just say dark roast....

vcard.vcf

Smokin' Dave

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98

Ophelia86 wrote:

> i would like to actually organize a boycott of starbucks.
> they're pretentious,
> and not at all kid friendly.
> the decor sucks and they all look alike.
> and the coffee is lame!!

You got my support. When do we start? Just one question, though. When
we're seen together, can you just tell everyone your name is Jane? Maybe
Mary?

Thanks. Now let's get to work......

vcard.vcf

Smokin' Dave

Aug 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/16/98

metonymy wrote:

> >Lenny, I'm with you. I despise Rite-Aid.
>
> I imagine by now most people have a rite-aid horror story. It's amazing
> that one drugstore chain can do so many things wrong in such a short time.
> As I talk to people in everyday life ( not on the net ) I'm struck by how
> often the subject of rite-aid comes up. Is there anymore out there who has

> positive feelings for this chain?

WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! What about Time Saver???!!! I miss Time Saver!!!

vcard.vcf

Mario Peri

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
Smokin' Dave on a caffeine high wrote:

>Shoney's. There, I can smoke and slouch around without worrying that >some liberal's going to be offended when I discuss various ways of >finally ridding cockroaches with a flamethrower.

SD: I'm a liberal and would not be offended by this discussion at all...
hell, if it was the solution to the eradication of those Buick sized
roaches down there, I might even pony up a membership in the NRA to
protect our sacred 2nd Am. right to bear flamethrowers. But, please try
to find a better cup of coffee than Shoney's . . . ya live in NO
afterall, fer crissakes

M-

tpeeler

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98

Mario Peri wrote:

> SD: I'm a liberal and would not be offended by this discussion at all...
> hell, if it was the solution to the eradication of those Buick sized
> roaches down there, I might even pony up a membership in the NRA to
> protect our sacred 2nd Am. right to bear flamethrowers. But, please try
> to find a better cup of coffee than Shoney's . . . ya live in NO
> afterall, fer crissakes
>
> M-

Excuse me, as a member of the NRA, I can't sit back
and let this misstatement pass. The second amendment
has nothing to do with flame-throwers. The 2nd assures our
right to keep and arm bears. Thank you, please continue.

Mario Peri

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
>The second amendment
>has nothing to do with flame-throwers. The 2nd assures our
>right to keep and arm bears.

It was a joke..sheesh... and they say we liberals are humorless.

M-

JSPRINE

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <35DA25...@spiritone.com>, Mario Peri <mk...@spiritone.com>
writes:

>It was a joke..sheesh... and they say we liberals are humorless.

Read it again...slowly. "Keep and arm bears?"

James S. Prine
http://www.prinebooks.com

Mario Peri

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
JSP wrote, and complete embarrassed MP:

>Read it again...slowly. "Keep and arm bears?"

OMIGOD...I stand before you all an mortified heap o' illiteracy....

I'll try to _slow_ down from now on...isn't that what NO is all
about...slow down, relax, don't get too bent over anything... deep
breath Mario....much better.

M-

Mystyk119

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
>I'll try to _slow_ down from now on...isn't that what NO is all
>about...slow down, relax, don't get too bent over anything... deep
>breath Mario....much better.

That's the spirit, Mario!

The sick and twisted NONG sense of humor sometimes takes a while to permeate
ones sensibilities. It looks as though you are on the right track, o '
mortified heap o' illiteracy'! <g>

Speaking of bears, I'd keep one. Hell, I got about everything else running
around here. And everyone who's anyone knows that one strategically placed,
well-armed bear will deter even the most determined criminal!

There are some woods nearby, so that takes care of *that* problem. I guess I'd
have to train the bear not to go down the street and eat that guy's cows,
though.

Do you think a bear could be taught how to vacuum? Yeah, I think so. After all,
if men can be trained to do it, I guess a bear wouldn't have much of a problem.

Reg <dreaming of bear possibilities>
Life is too short to wear uncomfortable shoes.

metonymy

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
>The sick and twisted NONG sense of humor sometimes takes a while to
permeate
>ones sensibilities. It looks as though you are on the right track, o '
>mortified heap o' illiteracy'! <g>

Oh yes, NONGers, the few, the proud, the twisted........................

metonymy

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98

JSPRINE

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <199808191809...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, myst...@aol.com
(Mystyk119) writes:

>Reg <dreaming of bear possibilities>

Sir James of Prine <considering 'bear' essentials>

Bill Clinton <contemplating 'bear-faced' falsehoods>

Weird Larry <gazing upon a bear as it answers nature's call in yonder woods>

Ann <gripped in a writer's block 'bear-hug'>

Okay...someone else get the next ones...

JSPRINE

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <35DB04...@spiritone.com>, Mario Peri <mk...@spiritone.com>
writes:

>OMIGOD...I stand before you all an mortified heap o' illiteracy....
>

>I'll try to _slow_ down from now on...isn't that what NO is all
>about...slow down, relax, don't get too bent over anything... deep
>breath Mario....much better.
>

>M-

Welcome to the club, amigo. Have a cuppa coffee. Take yer shoes off. Sit a
spell. Want some chaw?

Later, we kin go down to da cordnuh on Bourbon and St. Ann and looks at nekkid
wimmens. Summa dem were even borned wimmens, too!

New Orleans isn't a place...it's an attitude.

LogcabinWJ

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
>Later, we kin go down to da cordnuh on Bourbon and St. Ann and looks at
>nekkid<BR>
>wimmens. Summa dem were even borned wimmens, too!<BR>
><BR>
>New Orleans isn't a place...it's an attitude.<BR>

?????????????????????????????????????????
NewOrleans.general

Mystyk119

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98

And then, the lovely Wanda said:

>????????????????????????????????????????

Let me translate, Wanda. Jim invited Mario to go down to the corner of Bourbon
and St Ann streets to look at naked women. Then he said that some of them were
even born women (see, a lot of the folks who *look* like women on that
particular corner weren't born as women, but had a bit of help from the
cosmetics and/or medical communities)

Hope this helps,

Reg

JSPRINE

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
In article <199808192242...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, myst...@aol.com
(Mystyk119) writes:

>Let me translate, Wanda. Jim invited Mario to go down to the corner of
>Bourbon
>and St Ann streets to look at naked women. Then he said that some of them
>were
>even born women (see, a lot of the folks who *look* like women on that
>particular corner weren't born as women, but had a bit of help from the
>cosmetics and/or medical communities)
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Reg

Precisely on target, Regina. In 'Da Quarters', what you see...and probably pay
handsomely for...ain't necessarily what you thought it was. And what you 'get'
might have to be cured with massive doses of antibiotics...if it can be cured
at all.

Now, children, can you say the word "She-male"? Excellent!

Now, let's try "Transvestite." Very good, boys and girls!

Here is another word..."He-She"...isn't that a lovely word? Put your hand
down, Timmy.

Okay, class, let's take a break while Timmy does his, er, 'thing'...

Billy Woolfolk

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
"metonymy" <meto...@newsguy.com> enlightened us with:

deja vu! ;+)

---------------
Billy Woolfolk
Remove "NOSPAM" from address.
===============
"Quit piddlin' around
and don't waller on the bed."
=my grandmother=

bellsouth news

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
The BOOT, Campus Deli
FOLGERS, nuthin else, no decaf, no french roast, no nuthin
not even cream, but i will share my milk..;?
Smokin' Dave wrote in message <35D78337...@pipeline.com>...

>uptown@mymamashouse got all wired on too many espressos and wrote:
>
>> With all the hubbub about whether they'll allow Starbucks to move into
>> the old florist shop on St Charles, I ask you: is Starbucks actually
>> capable of making a decent cup of coffee? As a coffee nut, this is
>> very important to me! I am repeatedly disappointed by the quality of
>> the coffee on offer at the Starbucks inside Barnes and Noble on Vets.
>> It stinks, IMHO. Do they not know how to brew it up right at that
>> location? Or are Starbucks' beans lousy all over! The prospect of
>> Starbucks moving into the area and possibly wiping out my favorite
>> locally owned coffee houses is a concern. CC's is the best in town,
>> as far as the chains go.
>>
>> m.
>
> I dropped into the CC's on Carrolton a few months ago and told them I
>just wanted a regular cup of Community dark roast. Well, the clerk acted
>so horrified at the prospect of having to make, of all things, a cup of
>regular Community coffee, he began to jump up and down and scream until
>his ears bled and his nosering popped out and fell into someone's
>Afghanistan cappucino.
>
>Okay, maybe I exaggerated a little, but I did end up having to settle for
>some weird brew from the East African vicinity.
>
>I've learned that, when I want to go out for a cup of coffee, it's much
>easier to pop into a Denny's or a Shoney's. There, I can smoke and slouch

>around without worrying that some liberal's going to be offended when I
>discuss various ways of finally ridding cockroaches with a flamethrower.

bellsouth news

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
thank ya sir
tpeeler wrote in message <35D61BDF...@belnospamlsouth.net>...

>bellsouth news wrote:
>
>> . Is there anymore out there who has
>> >positive feelings for this chain?
>> >

>> >I think this is positive , while riding home one night from picking up
some
>> items from a freind, Wife suggested I stop in to pick up a "personal"
item,
>> well after picking up and paying 13.00$ for this "personal" item we get
home
>> and use it......<g>
>> and lo and behold it turns up ............POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!
>> Baby #4 will be delivered in April sometime!!!!!
>> sean and crystal
>
>Congratulations!

bellsouth news

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
thank you , may her literacy be that of yours