.hoerc and strange error exclude entry missing from .hoerc. Aborting. ?

mortench

Jun 13, 2008, 9:05:28 AM6/13/08
to New Gem Generator
I am developing a new gem based on lastest newgem version with native
extensions, and I get this strange error below when trying to perform
a "rake manifest:refresh".

I could find no "exclude" option in "hoe.rb" and also not sure what
the tool complain about having to be excluded. Experimenting I found
this task "rake config_hoe" which can generate ".hoerc" file. The
existence of this magic file seems to help but not as a very good
solution. First of all I though "hoe.rb" should handle all hoe related
setup. Also, it seems complicated if all developers of my gem would
have to maintain a unversioned ".hoerc" file on the side. Finally, I
am not really sure what ".hoerc" should contain and why this error
occurs without the file?

ERROR DETAIL:
~/myproject/trunk: rake manifest:refresh
(in /Users/xxx/myproject/trunk)
exclude entry missing from .hoerc. Aborting.
patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.

/Morten

Nic Williams

Jun 13, 2008, 9:29:39 AM6/13/08
to new-gem-...@googlegroups.com
Mine looks like:

---
publish_on_announce: false
blogs:
- user: user
  url: url
  extra_headers:
    mt_convert_breaks: markdown
  blog_id: blog_id
  password: password
exclude: !ruby/regexp /tmp$|CVS|\.svn|_darcs|\.git|log$|local/.*\.rb$|Makefile|.*\.o$|.*\.bundle$|.*\.so$|.*\.dll$/
--
Dr Nic Williams
* Learn TextMate for Rails2 - http://peepcode.com/products/textmate-for-rails-2 *

Ben Emson

Jun 25, 2008, 10:46:56 AM6/25/08
to New Gem Generator
Hi All

I also had a problem with the .hoerc file. I've written an article on
how I got it working on Windows.
You can find it here:
http://blog.emson.co.uk/2008/06/an-almost-fix-for-creating-rubygems-on-windows/

Good luck,