NOTICE: git and svn repositories migration

Ugo Riboni

Sep 24, 2008, 7:34:51 PM9/24/08
to Neuros Mailing List
Hi developers,
We have migrated both our git repositories (osd2) and our svn
repositories (osd1) to new hosting providers.

If you have already local checkouts of these repositories, you will
need to move them to the new ones, or you won't pick up
anymore new commits. Eventually the old repositories will have warning
messages when you run the helper scripts, and finally they will be
entirely decommissioned. So please don't stick with them for much
longer.

If you are new and don't have any checkout yet, the guides on the wiki
for both system are updated with new instructions for these repos, so
you don't need to concern with the contents of this email.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but it's for the
best as the new hosting is more reliable and hopefully faster
(especially for people in north america).

*** OSD1 SVN repositories ***

The repositories have been moved to the following URL:
https://svn2.neurostechnology.com/reponame/

So for a regular checkout, for example of neuros-bsp, you would do:
svn checkout https://svn2.neurostechnology.com/neuros-bsp/trunk neuros-bsp

For those that have the repositories already checked out, you can
switch pain-free without having to download everything again, by
following this procedure (for each repository):
- ensure you don't have locally modified files
- check with "svn info $repo" what is your current repo URL ($oldurl)
- svn switch --relocate $oldurl
https://svn2.neurostechnology.com/$repo/trunk $repo

If all goes well, if you check again the URL with "svn info" it should
have changed to the new one.

To browse via web the source repositories, use the following URL:
http://trac.neurostechnology.com/$yourrepo/browser

I'll setup later a central page which list all of the repositories,
like the old svnweb did.

*** OSD2 GIT repositories ***

The repositories have been moved to the following URL:
git://github.com/neuros/$repo.git

So for a regular clone, for example of build-tools, you would do:
git clone git://github.com/neuros/build-tools.git

For those that have the repositores already checked out, there's a
pain free way to switch most of them, but not all:
The way is:
- ensure you don't have local modifications on your repository $repo
- edit $repo/.git/config
- look for the [remote "origin"] block and change the "url=" propery
to match the new URL.
- save and enter $repo dir
- git pull --rebase

You should NOT do the above procedure for the repository "toolchains",
because I have rewritten the history of that one to make it more
compact, and you should just clone it from scratch. Sorry.

That is all.
Please let me know if you find any issues or any mistakes in any of
the above, or if you have suggestions for more proper way to do
anything.
Thanks you, and again sorry for the inconvenience,
--
nero

Dan Fandrich

Oct 22, 2008, 2:34:49 AM10/22/08
to neu...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 01:34:51AM +0200, Ugo Riboni wrote:
> Hi developers,
> We have migrated both our git repositories (osd2) and our svn
> repositories (osd1) to new hosting providers.

FYI, the tar balls available at http://svn.neurostechnology.com/tarballs/
still point to the old SVN repository. The instructions at
http://wiki.neurostechnology.com/index.php/Recorder_III:main-app-build-instructions
say "The tarball is built with svn information, so you can go to any
directory and 'svn up' to pull the latest updates to the tarball from
the repository, if any." so this ought to be fixed.

>>> Dan
--
http://www.MoveAnnouncer.com The web change of address service

Dan Fandrich

Oct 22, 2008, 2:56:11 AM10/22/08
to neu...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 01:34:51AM +0200, Ugo Riboni wrote:
> The repositories have been moved to the following URL:
> https://svn2.neurostechnology.com/reponame/
[...]

> Please let me know if you find any issues or any mistakes in any of
> the above, or if you have suggestions for more proper way to do
> anything.
> Thanks you, and again sorry for the inconvenience,

Looks like user "jimmy" didn't get the memo. Following the procedure to
switch repository roots failed for linux-r3-main-app because the old
svn.neurostechnology.com repository contains a checkin that the new
svn2.neurostechnology.com repository is missing.

Ugo Riboni

Oct 22, 2008, 5:55:14 AM10/22/08
to neu...@googlegroups.com
>> Hi developers,
>> We have migrated both our git repositories (osd2) and our svn
>> repositories (osd1) to new hosting providers.
>
> FYI, the tar balls available at http://svn.neurostechnology.com/tarballs/
> still point to the old SVN repository. The instructions at
> http://wiki.neurostechnology.com/index.php/Recorder_III:main-app-build-instructions
> say "The tarball is built with svn information, so you can go to any
> directory and 'svn up' to pull the latest updates to the tarball from
> the repository, if any." so this ought to be fixed.

That guide is massively outdated and should not be used.
The official guide is the one linked at the top of that page, which is:
http://wiki.neurostechnology.com/index.php/GtH
and doesn't mention the tarballs anymore (since we don't offer them
anymore for the time being)
I fixed the page you mentioned with a big obsolete tag. Thanks for reporting.

I also fixed the official guide by mentioning the migration and
putting a link to this ML thread, so people have more information
about the repo migration.

Hope it helps,
--
nero

Ugo Riboni

Oct 22, 2008, 8:59:40 AM10/22/08
to neu...@googlegroups.com
>> The repositories have been moved to the following URL:
>> https://svn2.neurostechnology.com/reponame/
> [...]
>> Please let me know if you find any issues or any mistakes in any of
>> the above, or if you have suggestions for more proper way to do
>> anything.
>> Thanks you, and again sorry for the inconvenience,
>
> Looks like user "jimmy" didn't get the memo. Following the procedure to
> switch repository roots failed for linux-r3-main-app because the old
> svn.neurostechnology.com repository contains a checkin that the new
> svn2.neurostechnology.com repository is missing.

You're right. I didn't notice that commit happening, but it shouldn't be there.

Now I performed some svnadmin vodoo to try to fix the problem. I
sacrificed a black baby goat too before doing it, so hopefully
everything went ok and that commit should now be purged from svn
history forever. I'll ask jimmy to commit it again to the new repo
later.

However for those who are stuck on the new repo with the invalid
commit (5516) here's how to fix it:

Relocate back to the old repo with:
svn switch --relocate \
https://svn2.neurostechnology.com/linux-r3-main-app/trunk \
svn://svn.neurostechnology.com/svn/linux-r3-main-app/trunk \
linux-r3-main-app

Then go back to the common valid commit (5515) with:
svn up -r 5515 linux-r3-main-app/

Then you can relocate again to the new one and "svn up" will work as
expected and not complain anymore about the wrong commit.

Or be brutal and just wipe out the linux-r3-main-app repo and checkout
again from the new repo. It's not very big anyway.

Please let me know if it works, and thanks for the patience,
--
nero