networkx-0.99 release

Aric Hagberg

Nov 19, 2008, 9:26:52 AM11/19/08
to networkx...@googlegroups.com
An update to NetworkX, networkx-0.99, has just been released at
http://networkx.lanl.gov

This update has an unusual numbering to reflect that it is the
penultimate release before networkx-1.0 (after which we will use more
standardized release numbering).

See http://networkx.lanl.gov/reference/news.html
for highlights of the changes in this release.

The API and Graph classes have been changed in several ways for this
release to simplify code, improve algorithm performance, and
more naturally handle the common use-case of weighted graphs.
I encourage you to take a look at
http://networkx.lanl.gov//reference/api_changes.html
for the details.

As always, your comments, suggestions, and bug reports (fixes too)
are welcome.

Aric

Chris Myers

Nov 19, 2008, 9:29:54 AM11/19/08
to networkx...@googlegroups.com
Aric,

Thanks very much for the information. I was in the midst of writing
an email
asking for clarification on versions (0.37 vs 0.99), since I have a
student
who is about embark on a new project using NetworkX, and we were both
confused about how he should proceed.

And thanks to all of you for your efforts in this major upgrade. I
look forward
to seeing what you've done.

Chris

Cyril Brulebois

Nov 28, 2008, 2:08:28 AM11/28/08
to networkx...@googlegroups.com
Aric Hagberg <hag...@lanl.gov> (19/11/2008):

> An update to NetworkX, networkx-0.99, has just been released at
> http://networkx.lanl.gov

Hi Aric, hi all,

I've just uploaded python-networkx 0.99-1 into Debian experimental. I've
noticed a failure in the test suite, I'm attaching the trace. You may be
interested in the versions of related packages:
| Versions of packages python-networkx depends on:
| ii python 2.5.2-3
|
| Versions of packages python-networkx recommends:
| ii python-matplotlib 0.98.3-5
| ii python-numpy 1:1.1.1-1
| ii python-pkg-resources 0.6c8-4
| ii python-pydot 1.0.2-1
| ii python-pygraphviz 0.36-1
| ii python-scipy 0.6.0-12
| ii python-yaml 3.06-1

I'll take a look at pygraphviz a bit later.

Mraw,
KiBi.

python-networkx.log
signature.asc

Cyril Brulebois

Nov 28, 2008, 3:44:29 AM11/28/08
to networkx...@googlegroups.com
Aric Hagberg <hag...@lanl.gov> (19/11/2008):

> An update to NetworkX, networkx-0.99, has just been released at
> http://networkx.lanl.gov

Hi Aric, hi all,

python-networkx.log
signature.asc

Aric Hagberg

Nov 28, 2008, 9:41:16 AM11/28/08
to networkx...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Cyril. It looks like networkx-0.99 currently depends on
python-scipy >= 0.7.0 (just out in beta). I'll see if I can
make it work correctly with 0.6.0.

Aric

Cyril Brulebois

Nov 28, 2008, 9:46:53 AM11/28/08
to networkx...@googlegroups.com
(Sorry for the double-post, I was subscribed with a different address,
and my bounce didn't seem to make it on the list, so I retriggered it
some hours later, both then came.)

Aric Hagberg <hag...@lanl.gov> (28/11/2008):

> Thanks Cyril. It looks like networkx-0.99 currently depends on
> python-scipy >= 0.7.0 (just out in beta). I'll see if I can make it
> work correctly with 0.6.0.

Note that it's not really required on my end, I thought I would report
it in case that could be useful. I can live (and the package in
experimental too) with a failure in the test suite. Don't bother too
much. ;-)

Mraw,
KiBi.

signature.asc

Aric Hagberg

Nov 28, 2008, 10:32:15 AM11/28/08
to networkx...@googlegroups.com

I took a look and it looks like the SciPy sparse matrix handling
has changed quite a bit between 0.6.0 and 0.7.0. So I'll leave
it as is and require 0.7.0 for that (small,optional) part of networkx.
Aric

Cyril Brulebois

Nov 29, 2008, 3:35:24 PM11/29/08
to networkx...@googlegroups.com
Aric Hagberg <hag...@lanl.gov> (28/11/2008):

> I took a look and it looks like the SciPy sparse matrix handling has
> changed quite a bit between 0.6.0 and 0.7.0. So I'll leave it as is
> and require 0.7.0 for that (small,optional) part of networkx.

Thanks for checking. That's fine with me, I'll maybe add a note about
that in README.Debian in case some other person runs the testsuite and
expect it to return no failures at all.

Mraw,
KiBi.

signature.asc

Cyril Brulebois

Nov 29, 2008, 5:42:54 PM11/29/08
to networkx...@googlegroups.com
Cyril Brulebois <ki...@debian.org> (28/11/2008):

> I've just uploaded python-networkx 0.99-1 into Debian experimental.

Ditto now for python-pygraphviz 0.99-1.

> I'll take a look at pygraphviz a bit later.

Some remarks:
- setup.py doesn't include miles_dat.txt.gz, I adapted my local patch
to include and ship it as well;
- miles.py might be modified to look for the gzipped version as well;
- some scripts don't have any python shebang, I've added it to
examples/attributes.py and examples/subgraph.py;
- it looks like pygraphviz isn't really happy with warning output, see
for example star.py
,--
| [Correct dot output]
| Wrote star.dot
| Traceback (most recent call last):
| File "/usr/share/doc/python-pygraphviz/examples/star.py", line 36, in <module>
| A.draw('star.png',prog="circo") # draw to png using circo
| File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/pygraphviz/agraph.py", line 1307, in draw
| data=self._run_prog(prog,args)
| File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/pygraphviz/agraph.py", line 1157, in _run_prog
| raise IOError("".join(errors))
| IOError: Warning: node '0', graph '_anonymous_0' size too small for label
| Warning: node '1', graph '_anonymous_0' size too small for label
| Warning: node '2', graph '_anonymous_0' size too small for label
`--

For completeness:
,--
| $ dot -Tpng star.dot -o star.png
| Warning: node '0', graph '_anonymous_0' size too small for label
| Warning: node '1', graph '_anonymous_0' size too small for label
| Warning: node '2', graph '_anonymous_0' size too small for label
`--

I'm using graphviz 2.20.3.

Mraw,
KiBi.