"Open Link in New Tab"

Mike Schiraldi

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
to mozilla-...@mozilla.org
Sorry if this idea has already been suggested, but wouldn't it be great if instead of popping up links in new windows, they showed up in new tabs on the main window? My browsing technique is usually the following:

Go to a site (say, Linux Today)
Find an interesting link
Open it in a new window
Repeat

When i'm stuck in Windows, there are two big annoyances:

- To open the link in a new window, i have to right-click the link, go to Open in New Window, move the mouse to the upper right, click the tiny minimize icon, then bring the mouse back where i was

- The new browser windows aren't full screen, so i have to click Maximize on 900 different windows

Again, i think a slick solution to this would be to have just one browsing window with a seperate tab for each "new window"

As a side bonus, my taskbar wouldn't be filled with 40 browser instances.

Doug Sheppard

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
Mike Schiraldi wrote:
> Sorry if this idea has already been suggested, but wouldn't it be great
> if instead of popping up links in new windows, they showed up in new tabs
> on the main window?

This has come up before. The prevailing opinion is "Yes. It *would* be
great." Then the prevailing opinion is "No! MDI sucks!" Then "Opera
does this and I love it." Then "This is exactly why I don't use
Opera." And so forth and on and on and on, until someone says "Well, it
should be an option for you to turn on and for you to leave off and
everyone would be happy." (If npm.wishlist has a motto, it has to be
"It should be optional." Although of course npm.wishlist should not be
*required* to have a motto.)

If someone came forward with a patch to Mozilla that allowed people to
use MDI if they wished, it'd probably be taken into consideration.
(Don't hold your breath, though; most of the people who are already
working on the codebase have other fish to fry, so it'd need to be some
third party who wrote it.) Until then, all we can do is wait for the
person who says "No! MDI sucks!" to come along, and the dance
continues.... :-)
--
Waiting for Bob - http://www.waitingforbob.com/ - No Godot, either.