Turn off the Confirm POSTDATA Popup

John

Sep 22, 2006, 4:58:07 PM9/22/06
This popup is a nuisance. It's the only thing I find truly annoying
about Firefox and SeaMonkey. I'm told there is presently no way to turn
it off. My contribution to the wishlist is a request for a setting to
disable this beast. Thanks!

John
(A user of Netscape and its descendants since v2.0)
--
Q: What's the quickest way to get a mailbox full of spam?
A: Post a message in any newsgroup using a real email address.

Please reply in this newsgroup. Thank you.

The Real Bev

Sep 22, 2006, 6:31:18 PM9/22/06
John wrote:

> This popup is a nuisance. It's the only thing I find truly annoying
> about Firefox and SeaMonkey. I'm told there is presently no way to turn
> it off. My contribution to the wishlist is a request for a setting to
> disable this beast. Thanks!

Me too.

> John
> (A user of Netscape and its descendants since v2.0)

Newbie! I started with .9!

When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

Neil

Sep 23, 2006, 12:09:23 PM9/23/06
John wrote:

> SeaMonkey. I'm told there is presently no way to turn it off.

Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> SSL
Uncheck "SSL Warnings" - "Sending form data from an unencrypted page to
an unencrypted page"
Note that the wording of the preference is slightly incorrect; the word
"or" should be before the word "to".

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

John

Sep 23, 2006, 5:12:50 PM9/23/06
Neil wrote:
> John wrote:
>
>> SeaMonkey. I'm told there is presently no way to turn it off.
>
> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> SSL
> Uncheck "SSL Warnings" - "Sending form data from an unencrypted page to
> an unencrypted page"
> Note that the wording of the preference is slightly incorrect; the word
> "or" should be before the word "to".

That option is already unchecked. It's not the same thing as the
POSTDATA popup.

John

Neil

Sep 24, 2006, 3:04:32 AM9/24/06
John wrote:

> Neil wrote:
>
>> John wrote:
>>
>>> SeaMonkey. I'm told there is presently no way to turn it off.
>>
>> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> SSL
>> Uncheck "SSL Warnings" - "Sending form data from an unencrypted page
>> to an unencrypted page"
>> Note that the wording of the preference is slightly incorrect; the
>> word "or" should be before the word "to".
>
> That option is already unchecked. It's not the same thing as the
> POSTDATA popup.

My mistake, I now realise you mean the "navigating to this page will
resubmit the form and may re-execute a financial or other sensitive
transaction" popup.

John

Sep 24, 2006, 7:51:39 AM9/24/06
The actual wording I'm seeing is:

"The page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA. If you resend the
data, any action the form carried out (such as a search or online
purchase) will be repeated. To resend the data, click OK. Otherwise,
click Cancel."

I most frequently encounter it at this site:
http://oh2w.kolumbus.com/dxs/qin.html
because I will often do a particular search and then reload it every few
minutes to see updated data.

Neil

Sep 24, 2006, 12:46:57 PM9/24/06
John wrote:

> I most frequently encounter it at this site:
> http://oh2w.kolumbus.com/dxs/qin.html
> because I will often do a particular search and then reload it every
> few minutes to see updated data.

Sorry, but I don't see a way to avoid that except by clicking Back and
Search - I don't know if you can use GreaseMonkey or some other
extension to do that automagically.

Jason Smestad

Sep 25, 2006, 7:41:41 PM9/25/06
John wrote:
> This popup is a nuisance. It's the only thing I find truly annoying
> about Firefox and SeaMonkey. I'm told there is presently no way to turn
> it off. My contribution to the wishlist is a request for a setting to
> disable this beast. Thanks!
>
> John
> (A user of Netscape and its descendants since v2.0)

The code that does this is in docshell/base/nsDocShell.cpp line #7697 to #7723 for source of Firefox 1.5.0.7. I modified a copy so that it does what you are asking.

Here is what I have for that code block:

/* If there is a valid postdata *and* the user pressed
* reload or shift-reload, take user's permission before we
* repost the data to the server.
*/
rv = NS_ERROR_FAILURE;
PRBool confirm_repost;

rv = mPrefs->GetBoolPref("browser.confirm_repost", &confirm_repost);
if (!NS_SUCCEEDED(rv)) {
confirm_repost = PR_TRUE;
}

if(confirm_repost) {
if ((aLoadType & LOAD_CMD_RELOAD) && postData) {

nsCOMPtr<nsIPrompt> prompter;
PRBool repost;
nsCOMPtr<nsIStringBundle> stringBundle;
GetPromptAndStringBundle(getter_AddRefs(prompter),
getter_AddRefs(stringBundle));

if (stringBundle && prompter) {
nsXPIDLString messageStr;
nsresult rv = stringBundle->GetStringFromName(NS_LITERAL_STRING("repostConfirm").get(),
getter_Copies(messageStr));

if (NS_SUCCEEDED(rv) && messageStr) {
prompter->Confirm(nsnull, messageStr, &repost);
/* If the user pressed cancel in the dialog, return. We're
* done here.
*/
if (!repost)
return NS_BINDING_ABORTED;
}
}
}
}

Make those changes and compile a copy of Firefox, then add this to your user prefs.js file:

user_pref("browser.confirm_repost", true);

On my copy with those changes when I set browser.confirm_repost to false the POSTDATA confirmation box goes away and the post data is sent without a problem.

If you want my copy of nsDocShell.cpp or my Windows compile implementing this send me an email.

Everything in this message is at your own risk - please don't blame me if you have problems or anything. Just ask around, you'll probably find someone to help you :)

Jesper Kristensen

Sep 28, 2006, 3:32:19 AM9/28/06
Neil skrev:
The problem here is, what should the dialog result default to? Resend or
don't resend?

In cases where websites uses POST correctly, i think the best action is to
_not_ resend.

In cases like http://oh2w.kolumbus.com/dxs/qin.html where websites
erroneously uses POST when they actually want to GET data, the best action
would be to resend.

But the browser cannot distinguish between these cases, so what should it do?
In this case i think the browser should act correctly, when the website acts
correctly. The result should be that the browser never resends the request,
if the dialog is turned off. But would that be of any help?

Timothy Madden

Mar 23, 2007, 4:01:34 AM3/23/07
to Jesper Kristensen

The truth is all sites are supposed to accept re-send.

Sorry to tell you that the most important thing about the POSTDATA popup
is that the vast majority of users simply do no understand it.

Programmers like me, administrators and even advanced uses seem to know
what POSTDATA means since ever. I for one never needed to ask anyone
what it means, I just know, ever since I can remember using computers.

Still I think programmers, administrators and advanced users are in the
minority. The most of the users (and the most important ones if you are
a company that has to deal with its clents) are unexperienced, they
understand absolutely nothing of that message in the POSTDATA popup so
they will click either re-send, either cancel in a *random* fashion.

So I agree with the OP, the POSTDATA popup is not really usefull,
although I admit it tries to be a security measure. But the sites should
be the first ones to be concerned about the security.

Timothy Madden,
Romania

Timothy Madden

Mar 23, 2007, 4:01:55 AM3/23/07

The truth is all sites are supposed to accept re-send.

200...@wongfaye.com

Apr 1, 2007, 8:56:15 PM4/1/07
yea i wish i could get rid of that pop up confirm too

maybe they could just have it undisableable on sites that are secure
https ones

i see it when i'm playing certain stupid net games where you enter a
score but it doesnt take so i refresh and get the confirm box

normally enter key does it so i dont have to click ok

but it would be nice to just freaking do it without asking me