Isolate products by group?

Steve Harp

Sep 16, 2005, 11:37:29 PM9/16/05
Hi All,

I'm an contract programmer and have several customers. Each customer
has multiple products. I've setup groups for each customer and
assigned each customer's products to their group.

The problem is that when I login as customerA, I see all the products
for customerB, customerC, etc in the search screens. I try to make
all of my customers think that I'm only working for them, so I cannot
have them login and see work that I'm doing for other people.

I've read everything I can find on groups and I don't understand what
I'm doing wrong. Can anyone explain how to set this up?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Steve

Joel Peshkin

Sep 17, 2005, 9:19:42 AM9/17/05
Set up groups
"CustomerA_people", "CustomerB_people", "CustomerC_people", "My_people"
Then...
"CustomerA_access" : inherit members from CustomerA_people and My_people
"CustomerB_access" : inherit members from CustomerB_people and My_people
"CustomerC_access" : inherit members from CustomerC_people and My_people

Set the group controls for the CustomerA product to
CustomerA_access: ENTRY, MANDATORY/MNADATORY, CANEDIT

and do likewise for the others

Steve Harp

Sep 17, 2005, 12:14:18 PM9/17/05

This works perfectly but I don't understand why. Before, I had a
Group, CustomerA with a User, TheUserA assigned to it. I then had a
product, ProductA with Group Access set to CustomerA, Mandatory,
Mandatory, Entry, CanEdit.. With this setup, TheUserA could see all
projects. The only difference I can see in your setup is a 2 step
grouping (ie a group inheriting a group).

Steve

Steve Harp

Sep 17, 2005, 12:21:41 PM9/17/05
On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 06:19:42 -0700, Joel Peshkin
<bugr...@peshkin.net> wrote:

Ok. I thought this was working but now when the TheUserA tries to
enter a bug, I get a message, "Either no products have been defined to
enter bugs against or you have not been given access to any". The
ProductA had group access set to Mandatory, Mandatory, entry, CanEdit.
What am I missing?

Steve

Joel Peshkin

Sep 17, 2005, 1:08:16 PM9/17/05
Steve Harp wrote:

> This works perfectly but I don't understand why. Before, I had a
> Group, CustomerA with a User, TheUserA assigned to it. I then had a
> product, ProductA with Group Access set to CustomerA, Mandatory,
> Mandatory, Entry, CanEdit.. With this setup, TheUserA could see all
> projects. The only difference I can see in your setup is a 2 step
> grouping (ie a group inheriting a group).

In order to keep UserA from seeing ProductB, productB must have a group
restriction to a group that UserA is not in.

Joel Peshkin

Sep 17, 2005, 1:10:51 PM9/17/05
Steve Harp wrote:
> Ok. I thought this was working but now when the TheUserA tries to
> enter a bug, I get a message, "Either no products have been defined to
> enter bugs against or you have not been given access to any". The
> ProductA had group access set to Mandatory, Mandatory, entry, CanEdit.
> What am I missing?
>
> Steve

1) Make sure that UserA is in the CustomerA_access group
2) make sure that CustomerA_access is the ONLY group that has group
controls for ProductA
3) Make sure you have at least one component defined for ProductA and
that ProductA is not closed for bug entry.

Steve Harp

Sep 17, 2005, 2:45:50 PM9/17/05

That was it. I didn't have any components defined. Didn't know that
was mandatory.