Multiple Installations on the same server

Akhil Srinivasan

Apr 10, 2003, 2:33:33 PM4/10/03
Hi
We just managed to setup Bugzilla on my Redhat 7.3 Server. Since we will be
working on multiple projects. I had hoped to just install another instance
of bugzilla and create a new database for every other project.
Will this work? and Is there any config issues that I should be carefull
with?
If somebody has done it then I would really appreciate any advise.

Akhil Srinivasan

Dave Miller

Apr 10, 2003, 3:40:34 PM4/10/03
to mozilla-...@mozilla.org
On 4/10/03 2:33 PM -0400, Akhil Srinivasan wrote:

> Hi
> We just managed to setup Bugzilla on my Redhat 7.3 Server. Since we will be
> working on multiple projects. I had hoped to just install another instance
> of bugzilla and create a new database for every other project.
> Will this work? and Is there any config issues that I should be carefull
> with?

Works just fine. Look at http://landfill.bugzilla.org/ for an example.
There's probably about 50 copies of Bugzilla running on that box (no I'm
not kidding).

However, "multiple projects" doesn't sound like a real good reason when
taken at face value. Why not just set up a different product for each
project in Bugzilla? (or is there more to it than that?)
--
Dave Miller Project Leader, Bugzilla Bug Tracking System
http://www.justdave.net/ http://www.bugzilla.org/

Akhil Srinivasan

Apr 10, 2003, 4:08:26 PM4/10/03
Thanks for your help. No there is nothing more than what i posted. But i did
want to know what you meant by product? Also I am currently using the
bugzilla 2.14.3 version. so Do i have to stay with the same version?.

Akhil Srinivasan

"Dave Miller" <bugd...@syndicomm.com> wrote in message

Dave Miller

Apr 10, 2003, 6:16:42 PM4/10/03
to mozilla-...@mozilla.org
No, we have several different versions running on landfill. As long as
each one gets its own database on the MySQL server, you'll be fine. :)

By product I mean the things you set up in "editproducts.cgi". There
should be a link in the footer when you're logged in as the admin (probably
says "components" in the version you have, it says "products" in the newer
versions) that goes there.

Gervase Markham

Apr 11, 2003, 6:04:06 AM4/11/03
Akhil Srinivasan wrote:
> I had hoped to just install another instance
> of bugzilla and create a new database for every other project.

You'll regret that the first time someone wants to move bugs from one
project to another, or reorganise the projects, or search across
multiple projects, or upgrade to a later version of Bugzilla, or make
some customisations.

Use a single Bugzilla, with Bugzilla "Products" for your projects, and
"Components" for your parts of projects. Believe me, it's far less hassle.

Gerv

Akhil Srinivasan

Apr 14, 2003, 2:00:51 PM4/14/03
That's true. But I need to make sure that users of one project don't have
access to another project. I know that there are groups in Bugzilla,but i
don't know how secure it is.Also ideally i would not want users to know if
there were multiple projects? Is there any way of accomplishing this without
using separate databases?

Akhil Srinivasan

"Gervase Markham" <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote in message

Gervase Markham

Apr 14, 2003, 4:58:57 PM4/14/03
to Akhil Srinivasan
[ Please keep conversations in the newsgroup, so we have an archive of
solutions to problems. ]

Akhil Srinivasan wrote:
> Thanks, but first I need to keep users of one project from accessing the
> bugs in another project. I saw the groups page in bugzill admin, but im not
> sure how it works? and how secure it is?

It's pretty secure :-) It works very differently in 2.16 and 2.17, so
you'd have to say which version you were running.

> If possible I need to make sure that users not know that multiple projects
> exist.

That should be possible. You may have to disable some of the reporting
functions, which currently leak this information.

Gerv

Joel Peshkin

Apr 14, 2003, 8:05:01 PM4/14/03
Gervase Markham wrote:

> Akhil Srinivasan wrote:
>> If possible I need to make sure that users not know that multiple
>> projects
>> exist.
> That should be possible. You may have to disable some of the reporting
> functions, which currently leak this information.

I do exactly this on a site where my own employees work with multiple
customers who can not see each other's projects at all. Buglists are
secure, but all the reporting (charting) functions are restricted to a
group of users who are allowed to see all the projects.

-Joel

Akhil Srinivasan

Apr 15, 2003, 9:12:55 AM4/15/03
I created multiple products and When I tried to enter a bug in, the pages
showed me all the products that I had installed. Is there a way to show only
the group in which the user is?
I have switched on buggroups and buggroup sentry but i can still access bugs
which are in a diffrent product.

"Joel Peshkin" <bugr...@peshkin.net> wrote in message

Gervase Markham

Apr 15, 2003, 10:58:11 AM4/15/03
> I have switched on buggroups and buggroup sentry but i can still access bugs
> which are in a diffrent product.

If you switched them on after you created the products, then you need to
create groups with the same name as the products (this is what happens
when you create products with usebuggroups switched on.) Then, the right
thing will happen.

Gerv

Akhil Srinivasan

Apr 15, 2003, 11:10:32 AM4/15/03
It worked like a charm. Thanks for all the help.