Aphrodite Menu Specs [long]

Matthew Thomas

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00
to mozil...@mozilla.org
fantasai wrote:
> http://critique.net.nz/project/mozilla/general/interface/menus/menus.txt

Thanks for taking the time to go through the spec in depth. It's
improved as a result.

> Re: Forward
>
> Clipped from Navigator File menu:
> ----------------------------------
> _Save ... Ctrl+S
> Save in Albu_m Ctrl+Shift+A
> _Forward ... Ctrl+K
> ----------------------------------
>
> What is "Forward"? Is it "Send Page"? If so, why is it not called
> that?
>
> If this is because it violates consistency with Messenger > File,

And with:
* `File' > `Forward ...' in Bookmarks
* `File' > `Forward ...' in History
* `File' > `Forward ...' in Address Book
* `File' > `Forward ...' in Composer

And also to avoid confusion with:
* `File' > `Send/Receive >' in Messenger
* `File' > `Send Now' in message composition
* `File' > `Send Later' in message composition

> then I say it is worse to violate consistency with the vast
> majority of the current browser market than to presume, at the
> expense of clarity, upon the more tenuous relationship of
> forwarding mail and sending a web page.

Perhaps, though (as usual) I think it's more important to be consistent
within the suite than to be consistent with other programs. I'd
obviously welcome suggestions on ways to fix this which could be
consistent in both ways at once.

RESOLVED LATER.

> Re: File > New submenu
> Browser window vs. Navigator window
> Mail/Discussions window vs. Messenger window
> Document vs. Composer document
> Chat session vs. Chatzilla session
> For the sake of consistency, I assume there will be a single set
> used for all menus within Mozilla. Of what nomenclature will this
> be?

Argh, you caught me in mid-think there.

The general idea is for the `File' > `New' submenu to have this basic layout:

[most common component-specific item] Ctrl+N
[other component-specific items]
[cross-suite items]

Originally, the cross-suite items were `Navigator window', `Messenger
window', etc. But once I started doing the Chatzilla menus, I realized
that Mozilla should allow you to use components other than the Mozilla
ones for some tasks. For example, I might want to use Aphrodite
Messenger as my mail/discussions client, but iCab as my browser. And to
be nice, Aphrodite Messenger should allow me to open a new browser
window with the same keyboard combination (Ctrl+1), no matter what
browser I happen to have chosen at the time.

That's why I switched to using generic component names instead of the
Mozilla brand names -- because it might not be the Mozilla component
we're launching. But I hadn't got around to finishing the changeover,
and now I have.

RESOLVED FIXED.

> Re: Sorting
>
> In the bookmarks and history View menus, we have
>
> by _Name
> by _Location
> by _Date Last Visited
>
> There is nothing to indicate what the current display is. There is
> also nothing to indicate whether this is in forward or reverse
> order; indeed, there is no option to reverse the order by menu
> command. What can be done via toolbars should also be possible
> through the menus. How will this be handled?
> One possible mechanism would be radio buttons for the viewing
> choices together with a checkbox-ed Reverse option.

I had thought about that, but then I realized it was rather inflexible.
For example, in Messenger, what if you want to sort messages by sender
and then by subject? You can't. You can click the `To/From' column; but
then messages from the same sender get sorted by date, not by anything
else. You can't specify the secondary sort key.

> Messenger, Chatzilla, and the address book list sort as a single
> option with a dialogue. What differences cause this variety?

That's why, halfway through, I switched to `Sort ...', which would open
a dialog allowing you to specify primary and secondary sort keys, with
an ascending/descending toggle for each one.

I've actually changed this to `View Order ...', so as not to cause
confusion with actual sorting -- following the recent protestations
about sorting by Benjamin `Dear Mozilla' Sher.

RESOLVED FIXED.

> Re: View & Load
>
> Clipped from the View menu in Navigator (same in Messenger):
>
> _Character Set ...
> --> _Stop Loading Esc
>
> --> _Reload Ctrl+R
> --> [_Load|Re_load] Images [in Selection] Ctrl+Shift+R
> Next _Window Option+Tab [Mac only]
>
> What are these doing here? They do not belong.
> The view menu is above all a set of preferences that affect *how
> the content is viewed* /not/ the content itself. What
> rationalizing put these here?

Not much, except that (a) that's where they've always been in previous
versions of Mozilla, and (b) that's where they are in Internet Explorer.

Your point is a semi-valid one, but where else would these items go? The
only other option I can think of is in the `Go' menu (a.k.a. the
`Navigator' menu in Aphrodite). But I think reloading, and loading
images, are more intuitively options to do with Viewing the content,
rather than navigating through the content. That they involve network
access is really irrelevant, from the user's point of view.

IE 5.x for Windows even gets rid of the `Go' menu altogether, turning it
into a *submenu* of the `View' menu.

Anyone else like to comment?

RESOLVED LATER.

> Re: Editing History
> I was just curious, what is there to paste into the history?

Um ... I don't know. :-)

RESOLVED FIXED.

> Re: Send/Receive messages
>
> Clipped from Messenger's File > Send/Receive messages submenu:
>
> _All Accounts Ctrl+Enter
> _0 Selected Account ([account name]) Ctrl+Shift+Enter
>
> If I select "All Accounts", does this mean that any mail I send
> will be sent simultaneously from all mail accounts?

No, it means that any queued mail will be sent from the account which
was specified at composition time, and that that all accounts will be
checked for new mail.

If you can think of better wording for this, let me know, but I don't
see anything wrong with it.

RESOLVED WONTFIX.

> Re: Find or Search?
>
> Clipped from Messenger's "Edit menu (in message list/folder
> list)":
> _Find ... Ctrl+F
> _Search Messages ... Ctrl+Shift+F
>
> I think we need to clarify the difference between these two...

There is hardly any difference.
* `Find ...' would open a Moriarty window with the `Search' popup menu
set to `this message', waiting for some text to be entered to search
for.
* `Search Messages ...' would open a Moriarty window with the `Search'
popup menu set to `my messages', waiting for a (e.g. folder, subject,
recipient, age in days, number of replies ...) to be selected for the
first search criterion.

The only reason `Search Messages ...' is there at all, I think, is to
make life easier for those who wouldn't be able to find it in Moriarty
by themselves.

> Re: Message Formatting
>
> View > Use Text Formatting submenu [for plain-text messages]
> ----------------------------------
> . _No Wrapping
> * _Wrap Long Lines
> . _Rewrap All
> -----------------------------
> / Highlight _Links
> / Highlight *_Styles*
> / Highlight _Emoticons :-)
>
> If "Highlight _Emoticons" does indeed propose to highlight
> emoticons, how are you going to pull this off? Don't tell me
> Mozilla can detect all these!
> ^_^ ^^ ^-^ ^_~ :P >:P >:D >D XD XP x_x 9_9;; ¬_¬ #_# @_@ ~_~ -_-;;

Don't blame me -- blame Ben Bucksch, he's the one who wrote the
smiley-detecting code. I didn't like the idea of smiley detection in the
first place; but I included a menu item for it in the Aphrodite spec.
Having a menu item for it would allow people to turn it off quickly, if
they came across a message where the detection was happening
inappropriately. And because distributing Aphrodite with Mozilla's
smiley detection code (which is part of the C++ rather than the JS, I
think) taken out would be considerably more difficult than distributing
just an Aphrodite chrome over the top of Seamonkey (as Alphanumerica
does now).

The alternative to a menu item would be to have something in the
Preferences dialog, which would be a pain.

Maybe one day we'll be able to campaign successfully to remove the
smiley detection feature from Mozilla completely, then this menu item
can disappear too. But not now.

RESOLVED MUCH LATER.

> Also, what does "Highlight _Links" do, when there are no links?

Nothing! Just as `Wrap Long Lines' does nothing when there are no long
lines. Just as `Paste' does nothing when there is nothing to paste. Etc
etc etc.

> Messenger > Mark submenu
> ------------------------
> _Message(s) as read Ctrl+/ [clashes with Ctrl+? for Help]
> Message(s) as _unread Ctrl+\
> Thread(s) as _read Ctrl+Shift+/ [clashes with Ctrl+? for Help]
> _Thread(s) as unread Ctrl+Shift+\
>
> Something needs to be done about these shortcuts.

Ideas welcome. Consult
<http://critique.net.nz/project/mozilla/general/interface/keys/> before
suggesting anything.

> Re: Messenger > Next/Previous
>
> Messenger > Previous submenu
> ----------------------------
> _Screenful/Unread Message Shift+Space
> _Message Ctrl+Up
> _Unread Message Ctrl+Shift+Up
> --> ------------------------------------------
> Last _Visited Message Ctrl+Left [also Ctrl+Left on Mac]
>
> What is this line for? Shouldn't "Last _Visited Message" join its
> fellows as Previous > "_Visited Messsage"?

RESOLVED FIXED.

Another idea I'm considering for the Aphrodite menus at the moment is
the introduction of a `Tools' menu in each component. This would be
configurable by the user, and would be a friendly UI for plugin-style
features for Mozilla. So you could download and install/uninstall
features at will, instead of having a whole pile of features, many of
which you'll never use.

This is roughly similar to Ben Goodger's work last year on `Addins'
<http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rgoodger/lizard/customize/toolbutton.html>,
but actually borrows more from a silly idea I had as a teenager for a
modular word processor.

Examples of Tools would include:
* word count (all components, especially Composer)
* site manager (Composer)
* bookmarks (Navigator)
* message filters (Messenger)
* message rating (Messenger)
* spell-check (Composer)
* translation (Navigator, Messenger, Chatzilla)

It would even be possible to implement something as basic as overtype
mode as a Tool.

> P.S. If there seems an excess of formality, blame it
> on my lack of constancy, not my frame of mind,
> for I have of late been reading from the elder works of
> English literature, and this has affected my language.

You think that's bad ... I use New Zealand English (i.e. British)
spelling when writing essays, and (mostly) American English spelling
everywhere else. Now *that*'s fun.

--
Matthew `mpt' Thomas, Mozilla user interface QA
<http://critique.net.nz/project/mozilla/>

Dean Tessman

Jun 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/13/00

I've been through this same thought process before. And one thing that
I always realize is that for sure a Go > Stop menu item is just plain
silly. Repeatedly, the best place that I find for these actions is in
the View menu, even though it doesn't quite seem perfect to me.

> > Re: Send/Receive messages
> >
> > Clipped from Messenger's File > Send/Receive messages submenu:
> >
> > _All Accounts Ctrl+Enter
> > _0 Selected Account ([account name]) Ctrl+Shift+Enter
> >
> > If I select "All Accounts", does this mean that any mail I send
> > will be sent simultaneously from all mail accounts?
>
> No, it means that any queued mail will be sent from the account which
> was specified at composition time, and that that all accounts will be
> checked for new mail.
>
> If you can think of better wording for this, let me know, but I don't
> see anything wrong with it.

This is sort of how Outlook Express (which, admittedly, I use at home)
words things. They have:
All Accounts
------------
Account 1
Account 2
Account 3
Account 4
Account 5

That's kinda nice, in case I usually check all five of my accounts
automatically, but want to manually check only account 2, without going
into account 2 first.

--
Dean Tessman

(remove "spamfree!." to reply by mail)

fantasai

Jun 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/14/00
| Thanks for taking the time to go through the spec in depth. It's
| improved as a result.

Best to know what you're up against before forming battle plans. ;)
I put a printed copy in my binder--five minutes here and there adds up.

Re: Forward

| If this is because it violates consistency with Messenger > File

| And with:
| * `File' > `Forward ...' in Bookmarks
| * `File' > `Forward ...' in History
| * `File' > `Forward ...' in Address Book
| * `File' > `Forward ...' in Composer

Yeah, and why were these called Forward? You're going to forward a
bookmark? No, you send it. You don't forward a history entry,
either; nor an address book card. You may carbon copy a document and

send it to someone, but you only forward something that was sent to
yourself and ought to go to someone else.

Webster's New World Dictionary:
forward - to send on, as to another address
[to forward mail] --SYN advance

Notice that this is a implies a continuation; you don't begin by
forwarding, you continue by forwarding.

Re: View and Load

| Your point is a semi-valid one, but where else would these items
| go? The only other option I can think of is in the `Go' menu
| (a.k.a. the `Navigator' menu in Aphrodite). But I think
| reloading, and loading images, are more intuitively options to do

| with Viewing the content, rather than navigating through the
| content. That they involve network access is really irrelevant,
| from the user's point of view.

Is it really that irrelevant? I know I often use Reload to access a
newer version of some page--the content changes. The content *does
not change* in any other View menu option.

I think listing it under "Navigator" makes more sense.
1.) As I said before, items under View should affect the view,
/not/ the content, and reloading a page often changes the
content. The other items under Navigator also change the
page content.
2.) Stop and Reload are already associated with Back, Forward, and

Home through traditional toolbar layout.
3.) This isn't unheard of: Mosaic lists them under Navigate, and
Opera lists them under Navigation.

IMO, the main thing holding 'reload' back is the 'load images'
option, which drags everything else with it.
I ran into this problem while trying to define each menu; it's very
hard to rationalize Stop's location under View, and Reload doesn't
fit that well, either. I can easily describe "Navigator" in a way
that suits both its current content as well as Stop and Reload. Load

Images, however, doesn't seem to fit too well under "Navigator", but

settles nicely under View. If one could only separate them...

[reply to Dean Tessman]: Yes, Go > Stop is ridiculous, but
Navigator > Stop really isn't.

> Anyone else like to comment?

Re: Send/Receive Messages

| No, it means that any queued mail will be sent from the account
| which was specified at composition time, and that that all
| accounts will be checked for new mail.
|
| If you can think of better wording for this, let me know, but I
| don't see anything wrong with it.

Um.. how about "Send Unsent/Receive Messages from >"?

Re: Find or Search?

Matthew Thomas wrote:
| There is hardly any difference.
| * `Find ...' would open a Moriarty window with the `Search' popup

| menu set to `this message', waiting for some text to be
| entered to search for.
| * `Search Messages ...' would open a Moriarty window with the
| `Search' popup menu set to `my messages', waiting for a (e.g.
| folder, subject, recipient, age in days, number of replies ...)

| to be selected for the first search criterion.
|
| The only reason `Search Messages ...' is there at all, I think,
| is to make life easier for those who wouldn't be able to find it
| in Moriarty by themselves.

Well, that clarifies things for me, but I would suggest changing
"Find..." to "Find in Message..." to make the meaning understandable

from the first.

Re: Message Formatting

| > Also, what does "Highlight _Links" do, when there are no
| > links?
|
| Nothing! Just as `Wrap Long Lines' does nothing when there are no

| long lines. Just as `Paste' does nothing when there is nothing to

| paste. Etc etc etc.

Looks like I didn't make myself very clear.

It's not uncommon to find long lines, but I think you would be
hard-pressed to find links in plain-text messages, since they are
/plain text/ and contain no markup.

I'm guessing that "Highlight _Links" is "Link to URIs"?
Or does it really just highlight the URIs (relatively pointless,
methinks)?

Re: Printing (new topic)

File:
_Print ... Ctrl+P
Prin_t As ... Ctrl+Shift+P

Any reason why Print Preview has been removed from Aphrodite's
File menus? What's Print As? What happened to Page Setup--is it
in the Print dialogue now?

Why does MacOS no-windows mode have this instead?
----------------------------------
_Print ... Ctrl+P [always disabled]
Page Se_tup ... Ctrl+Shift+P
----------------------------------

Matthew Thomas

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
to mozil...@mozilla.org
Another reasonably consequential revision of the Aphrodite menu spec has
hit the server
<http://critique.net.nz/project/mozilla/general/interface/menus/menus.txt>.
(I can hear Pete Collins grating his teeth already ...)

fantasai wrote:
> Re: Forward

> Yeah, and why were these called Forward? You're going to forward a
> bookmark? No, you send it. You don't forward a history entry,
> either; nor an address book card. You may carbon copy a document
> and send it to someone, but you only forward something that was
> sent to yourself and ought to go to someone else.

You're right. Ok, it's now `Sen_d' in File menus for all relevant
components, and `Forwar_d' in Messenger.

RESOLVED FIXED.

> Re: View and Load
>
> | Your point is a semi-valid one, but where else would these
> | items go? The only other option I can think of is in the `Go'
> | menu (a.k.a. the `Navigator' menu in Aphrodite). But I think
> | reloading, and loading images, are more intuitively options to
> | do with Viewing the content, rather than navigating through the
> | content. That they involve network access is really irrelevant,
> | from the user's point of view.
>
> Is it really that irrelevant? I know I often use Reload to access
> a newer version of some page--the content changes. The content
> *does not change* in any other View menu option.
>
> I think listing it under "Navigator" makes more sense.

Yep, ok. The only other thing that was holding me up was checking that
`Stop' and `Reload' don't apply to any of the accessory windows
(bookmarks, address book, history, etc), because the accessory windows
don't have a {Component-name} menu (they just have File, Edit, View, and
Help). But I've checked now, and none do. (The address book *might* get
a `Stop' function of sorts once LDAP is reimplemented, for stopping
address searches; but I think that will have its own button next to the
search field, and a menu item will be unnecessary.)

So, I've moved Stop, Reload, and Load Images into the {Component-name}
menu. And the `View' menu does look considerably more harmonious now.

RESOLVED FIXED.

> Re: Send/Receive Messages
>
> | No, it means that any queued mail will be sent from the account
> | which was specified at composition time, and that that all
> | accounts will be checked for new mail.
> |
> | If you can think of better wording for this, let me know, but I
> | don't see anything wrong with it.
>
> Um.. how about "Send Unsent/Receive Messages from >"?

To be fully precise, it would be `Send Unsent Messages From/Receive
Messages In >' ...

I think we can just leave it as `Send/Receive Messages', really.

VERIFIED WONTFIX.

> Re: Find or Search?

> Well, that clarifies things for me, but I would suggest changing
> "Find..." to "Find in Message..." to make the meaning
> understandable from the first.

Ok, changed to `Find (in Message) ...'. Navigator now has `Find (in
Document) ...', too.

RESOLVED FIXED.

> Re: Message Formatting

> I'm guessing that "Highlight _Links" is "Link to URIs"?
> Or does it really just highlight the URIs (relatively pointless,
> methinks)?

Ah, good catch. But what's the plain-English alternative? `Link to URIs'
is just going to leave people wondering `what's a URI?'. And `linkify'
isn't really standard English, yet.

Hmmmm ... I got it. `Show Addresses as Links'.

RESOLVED FIXED.

> Re: Printing (new topic)
>
> File:
> _Print ... Ctrl+P
> Prin_t As ... Ctrl+Shift+P
>
> Any reason why Print Preview has been removed from Aphrodite's
> File menus? What's Print As? What happened to Page Setup--is it
> in the Print dialogue now?

Yes. This is following an e-mail discussion I had with Henri Sivonen
about printing, based on what iCab and IE 5/Mac do. Both these browsers
take you to a dialog which shows you a print preview, and allows you to
set various options (show images, force images to page width, set font
size, etc etc etc) before actually printing. It's really cool.

The `Page Setup ...' menu item in apps originally applied on a
document-by-document basis, and caused some fundamental changes to the
layout of the document itself. But this makes almost no sense with
Internet media. There are three reasons for this:
(1) media types such as text/html, text/xml (when rendered using CSS),
and text/plain are much more device-independent than their
paper-oriented predecessors. E.g. HTML's BODY element doesn't have a
WIDTH attribute (thank goodness for that).
(2) You often don't have write access to the documents you want to
print. E.g. you can't really specify a page setup for a Web page
which doesn't belong to you, and expect that setup to be retained
the next time you visit the page, because you don't control the Web
server.
(3) Internet documents are more changable and transitory. E.g. it
doesn't make sense to specify a particular page setup for a Web page
or a Usenet message, when that page may have radically changed, or
the message may have been cancelled or expired, by someone else a
couple of minutes later.

That all adds up to the conclusion that if you want to specify special
page size, margins etc for a document in Mozilla, you'll do so at print
time, not at any other time.

So, here's the plan:
* `Print ...' will bring up the Print dialog as usual.
* `Print As ...' will bring up a window showing a print preview (that's
where the `Print Preview' item went), with options for changing the
output before you print it, like iCab and IE do. `Page Setup ...' will
be one of the buttons in this window.

> Why does MacOS no-windows mode have this instead?
> ----------------------------------
> _Print ... Ctrl+P [always disabled]
> Page Se_tup ... Ctrl+Shift+P
> ----------------------------------

Oops. RESOLVED FIXED.

Other changes in this revision (this list is not guaranteed to be complete):

* Removed the distinction between boolean and radio menu items -- such
a distinction exists on the user interface semantic level, but does
not (and probably should not) exist in XPToolkit itself.

* Established {} notation to refer to something variable which *will*
always form part of the menu item, as opposed to [] which refers to
something which *might* be part of the menu item. For example, in

| [Can't|Nothing to] {_Redo|_Repeat} {} Ctrl+Y
|,
`[Can't|Nothing to]' means that either `Can't' or `Nothing to' *might*
be part of the menu item, that either `_Redo' or `_Repeat' *will* be
part of the menu item, and something else `{}' *will* follow the
`_Redo' or `_Repeat'. So this menu item might appear as `Can't _Redo
Formatting', or as `Repeat Text', or whatever.

* Changed the `Offline' submenu into a single `Work Off-line ...' menu
item. Selecting the menu item will ask you if you what you want to
synchronize (if anything) before you go off-line. Similarly, selecting
`Work On-line ...' will ask you if you want to go on-line
indefinitely, or just for the purpose of synchronizing something.

* Removed `Message Using Template ...' from the default `File' > `New'
submenu. It's a specialist item, which is retained in the
component-specific part of the `File' > `New' submenu for Messenger.
The improvement in readability of the cross-component part of the
`File' > `New' submenu is significant.

* Added `Use Template ...' to the `File' menu of message composition --
partly to compensate for the removal of `Message Using Template ...'
from the global `File' > `New' submenu, and partly because users are
likely to first start a new message and *then* realize that they want
to use one of their templates for the message.

* Disabled items which shouldn't be enabled in window-less mode.

* Added the `Component Bar' (as in 4.x) as one of the toolbars which can
be turned on and off.

* Cleaned up the `View' > `Accessories' submenu, though it still needs
some work. Ideally, this menu would be dynamically constructed from
whatever components (Navigator, Composer, etc) happened to be
installed at the time.

* Renamed the `JavaScript Consol_e' as the `_Script Console'. Who
knows, it might be showing PerlScript errors one day (perish the
thought), and not just JavaScript errors. [fantasai]

* Moved `Next Window' (Mac OS only) to the bottom of the `View' menu,
partly in case we decide to hang a list of currently-open windows off
the end of it later, but mostly to increase spatial consistency of the
rest of the menu items between platforms.

* Fixed a stupid mnemonic clash in the `View' > `Zoom' submenu of
Navigator and Messenger (`_Original Size' and `Zoom _Out'), and
changed Composer's `View' > `Zoom' submenu to match. [fantasai]

* Changed `Help on Mozilla' to `Help Using Mozilla'.

* Pulled Navigator's `View' > `Folder Listing' submenu back into the
main `View' menu (now that we have some extra room with the departure
of Stop/Reload/Load Images), so the current mode is more visible in
case someone accidentally changes it.

* Reintroduced `View' > `as Hyperspace' in Navigator ... because I felt
like it. (Anyone want to implement it?:-)

* Cleaned up the various `sorting' menu items into `_Display Order ...'.
[Benjamin Sher]

* Changed `Character Set' to `Text Encoding' throughout. [Klein
Duijmpje]

* Removed the requirement for an item in the Bookmark menu to have a
checkmark next to it if it is (or if it contains) the document in the
current browser window. I think such an idea would be unworkable
<http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10197>.

* Fixed a mnemonic clash in Messenger's `Edit' menu (`D_elete' and
`_Empty Trash Folder'). [fantasai]

* Gave `_Element Properties ...' in Composer a mnemonic. [fantasai]

* Fixed the mnemonic clash between `Send _Later' and `Work
Off-_line ...' in the `File' menu of message composition. [fantasai]

* Gave `Attach My Address _Book Card' in message composition a
mnemonic. [fantasai]

* Changed the mnemonic for `_Send File ...' in Chatzilla. [fantasai]

Open issues:

* Fantasai's been complaining about my mnemonics, a number of which I
chose for localizability reasons. Localized versions of apps tend to
inherit the US-English mnemonics, so that users don't have to relearn
mnemonics all over the place, and if the English mnemonic happens not
to be in the translated menu item, then you end up with an ugly
`(_X)' at the end of the menu item just for the mnemonic. So if we can
choose mnemonics which happen to be present in translations of the
strings for a large number of (Latin-alphabet-using) languages as
well as in the English string, we can avoid lots of those `(_X)'es.

But for much of this I was relying on instinct and half-assed
knowledge of vocabulary in European languages, instead of actual
multilingualism, so I'll need to have a good long look through
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?URL=/library/books/winguide/default.htm>
and make any changes necessary.

* The Composer menus (particularly `Edit', `Format', and `Composer' are
still a complete mess, and will remain so until I flesh out a decent
UI for Composer (where `decent' means `not like a word processor').

pete collins

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
Matthew Thomas wrote:

> Another reasonably consequential revision of the Aphrodite menu spec has
> hit the server
> <http://critique.net.nz/project/mozilla/general/interface/menus/menus.txt>.
> (I can hear Pete Collins grating his teeth already ...)

Not at all, this is great progress. Aphrodite is a community driven project.
I just wish i had some help implementing it. ;-)

For 0.04 the menus will not change. After you guys iron all this out, then i will put it in
0.05.
Sound cool?

Look for 0.04 sometime next week. My focus for this release has been my own implementation
of skin switching and skin persistance which i have already completed. I also want to
include Chris Sears "action menus" that he sent me and possibly if i have time, the crash
recovery feature as well.

pete

Dean Tessman

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
Matthew Thomas wrote:

> > Re: Find or Search?
> > Well, that clarifies things for me, but I would suggest changing
> > "Find..." to "Find in Message..." to make the meaning
> > understandable from the first.
>
> Ok, changed to `Find (in Message) ...'. Navigator now has `Find (in
> Document) ...', too.
>
> RESOLVED FIXED.

I think the parentheses are extraneous. Just 'Find in Message...' and
'Find in Document...' would suffice.

dean

pete collins

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
I am adding Chris Sears action menus which are real cool.

I need to know where to put it in the menu's for the time being.

View -> Action Menu -> Define, Translate, etc . . .

Thanks

pete

fantasai

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
Matthew Thomas wrote:

| > Um.. how about "Send Unsent/Receive Messages from >"?
|
| To be fully precise, it would be `Send Unsent Messages
| From/Receive Messages In >' ...

Don't the received messages all go into the same Inbox?
You're receiving messages /from/ the accounts online /in/to
your Mozilla account.

| I think we can just leave it as `Send/Receive Messages', really.

As you wish.

| * `Print ...' will bring up the Print dialog as usual.
| * `Print As ...' will bring up a window showing a print preview

| that's where the `Print Preview' item went), with options for
| changing the output before you print it, like iCab and IE do.
| `Page Setup ...' will be one of the buttons in this window.

Sounds interesting. But change 'Print As...' to 'Print Setup...' or
something, though, because AFAICT, you're not Printing the document
as something other than what it would be printed as with 'Print...'
(I don't think that made sense.. Compare Save to Save As -- Save as
changes to what you are saving. Both Print and Print As print to
the printer.)

| * Fantasai's been complaining about my mnemonics, a number of
| which I chose for localizability reasons.

If you're refering to Sto_p and _Delete, I was complaining about
your inconsistency. >:)

~fantasai

Henri Sivonen

Jun 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/15/00
In article <39493A46...@escape.com>, fantasai
<fant...@escape.com> wrote:

> Sounds interesting. But change 'Print As...' to 'Print Setup...' or
> something, though, because AFAICT, you're not Printing the document
> as something other than what it would be printed as with 'Print...'

You are.

With Print... you you get whatever the default settings happen to be. It
is for users who want to print quickly without caring about the details.

With Print As... (once implemented) you get a window where you can
configure layout settings before sending the job to the printer.

--
Henri Sivonen
hen...@clinet.fi