2005-06-06 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

Gervase Markham

Jun 9, 2005, 6:18:54 PM6/9/05
to st...@mozilla.org
2005-06-06 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

Present: mconnor, justdave, gerv, marcia, asa, myk, rafael, chase,
chofmann, jst, cbeard, jpatel, hecker, bienvenu, dria, bsmedberg.

*Thunderbird 1.0.3/4/5 (TBD)*

- drivers and security group to determine number

*Firefox 1.1a1 and Thunderbird 1.1a1 feedback*

- Out for about a week
- Started tracking regressions and talkback topcrashers
- The bulk of reported topcrashers are known issues
- We suspect we are better than alpha quality
- reporter.mozilla.org has stats and a topsites listing

*1.1a2 timeframe*

- Dependency upon software update landing
- Mike Morgan from OSL is going to work to help with server side
- 3-4 weeks out

*Google's Summer of Code*

- MozDev are handling this for us

*Awards*

- PC World Product of the Year for Firefox, Thunderbird also in Top 100
products
- CNet Editor's Choice Award for Firefox
- PC Magazine Editor's Choice for Firefox
- many others, compiling awards on a Mozilla Press Awards page.

*News Server*

- Got a Memorandum of Understanding for new news infrastructure with
provider
- Going forward as fast as possible

*Docs*

- mozilla.org is now under a CC BY-SA licence

*Community Awards*

- Phase 2: call for nominations for individuals against categories
- Call goes out before the end of this week
- MoFo employees not eligible? Needs thinking about
- Any contribution since (and including) the creation of the Foundation
- Asa will circulate draft to staff

*Conferences*

- GNOMEDEX
- asa, scc going.
- On an open source panel ("Future of Open Source")
- 23rd-25th of June.
- Anything exciting and new, tell Asa to give a demo

- OSCON in Portland in August (dmose going)
- Euro OSCON in Amsterdam in October

*Server Transition Plan*

- We are moving from one colo to another
- Need good data on what's going down when
- No really good time to do it
- Planned for sometime June 20-24th
- A week before 1.1a2

Gerv

Chris Ilias

Jun 9, 2005, 6:57:29 PM6/9/05
_Gervase Markham_ spoke thusly:

> *News Server*
>
> - Got a Memorandum of Understanding for new news infrastructure with
> provider
> - Going forward as fast as possible

Does that mean you're not using the hardware owned by the Foundation?
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Email - 2005...@ilias.ca

Rinaldi J. Montessi

Jun 9, 2005, 9:17:24 PM6/9/05
Gervase Markham wrote:
> - mozilla.org is now under a CC BY-SA licence

This?

Rinaldi
--
In Seattle, Washington, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that
is over six feet in length.

Michael Lefevre

Jun 10, 2005, 6:03:13 AM6/10/05
On 2005-06-10, Rinaldi J. Montessi <rin...@Senior.Envision> wrote:
> Gervase Markham wrote:
>> - mozilla.org is now under a CC BY-SA licence
>
> This?
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/

Actually the link is to version 2.0 of the licence. If you go to
http://www.mozilla.org you will see it at the bottom of each page.

--
Michael

Gervase Markham

Jun 10, 2005, 1:39:53 PM6/10/05
Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/

No - 2.0, at the moment.

Can you summarise the differences? Are they important?

Gerv

Gervase Markham

Jun 10, 2005, 1:40:02 PM6/10/05
Chris Ilias wrote:
> Does that mean you're not using the hardware owned by the Foundation?

I believe so.

Gerv

Rinaldi J. Montessi

Jun 10, 2005, 8:48:27 PM6/10/05

IANAL ;)

Appears to be a couple of minor modifications:

quoting from
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2005-May/002313.html

(1) To take account of the needs of people who create wikis and thus
allow attribution to the wiki rather than the author or to the wiki and
one or more authors as they prefer

(2) To take account of the open access journal requirements, namely,
that academics and others can secure attribution to themselves and
their university or sponsoring institute and/or the journal

Mia Garlick
General Counsel
543 Howard St., 5th Floor
San Francisco CA 94105-3013
United States
http://creativecommons.org/

Follow above link for complete post.

Rinaldi
--
Majority, n.:
That quality that distinguishes a crime from a law.

Gervase Markham

Jun 13, 2005, 11:07:56 AM6/13/05
to ge...@mozilla.org
Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
> (1) To take account of the needs of people who create wikis and thus
> allow attribution to the wiki rather than the author or to the wiki and
> one or more authors as they prefer

That sounds very useful! I will investigate this.

Gerv