2005-07-11 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

Gervase Markham

Jul 14, 2005, 7:19:33 AM7/14/05
2005-07-11 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

Present: blizzard, gerv, shaver, mike beltzner, bienvenu, mscott,
bsmedberg, mconnor, hecker, justdave, josh, marcia, dbaron, myk, zach
lipton, jay, jesse, asa, cbeard, pav, vlad, john lilly, chofmann, alex
polvi, blake kaplan, mitchell, brendan, chase, rafael, dria.

*Firefox 1.0.5*

- 1.0.5 is scheduled for release tomorrow (Firefox and Thunderbird)
- Hope to release Mozilla 1.7.9 by midweek
- Thunderbird localiser communication still needed
- The localisers test the update mechanism for each localisation before
shipping it

*Deer Park 1.1a2*

- Release candidates announced on Saturday
- Some feedback; still looking at it (bugs, nominations)
- Nothing scary seen so far
- Documentation needs preparing

- Thunderbird crew have three bugs left on their list
- They need to either be right behind (or branch) to avoid blocking
- Release candidates tomorrow morning

*New Update*

- New Update is preffed off but in a testable form
- We'll be coordinating community testing post-release
- We've been upgrading nightly -> nightly for a week now
- Not yet testing incremental diff updates, just full updates
- Due to be turned on in the beta
- Now works on FF cross-platform, and Windows and Linux for Thunderbird
- Waiting for confirmation on the Mac

*1.1b1 Planning*

- Beta 1 is the next release
- Good progress on key feature requirements
- Going to be making schedule announcements soon
- Get a branching and beta date as quickly as we can triage down the
bugs

- Need to do a better job of communicating short-term dates and plans
- Resolution: update the roadmap document more frequently and accurately

*Server Transitions*

- Some new hardware was damaged; that will be resolved by tomorrow
- We now have clusters at both facilities
- Need to cut over more services
- Not expecting downtime on any of the main servers

*IDN update*

- Now turned on for certain TLDs whose policies comply
- Had various applications from registries to be included

*Hiring stuff*

- Arranged part-time consultant CFO to help Mitchell two days a week -
Jim Cook
- It's his first day on Wednesday
- He'll help us to hire a controller, who deals with day-to-day accounts
- Also contracting a sysadmin
- Currently around the 40 employee mark, with everyone included
- Pav, shaver and Mike Beltzner just got hired

- Lease on main office is up in the fall; an office move is planned (not
too far away)
- Freeway noise (101) but not a major problem
- In the middle of negotiations

*News server*

- Contract has stopped with mitchell
- Chris to talk to mitchell and fill her in so she can sign it

Gerv

Peter Lairo

Jul 14, 2005, 7:40:14 AM7/14/05
Gervase Markham on 14.07.2005 13:19 wrote:
> 2005-07-11 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting
>
> *New Update*

> - Not yet testing incremental diff updates, just full updates

For incremental diff updates:
What if a user "skips" an incremental update, does the system then still
work? What if he skips several? Will the update system give him a
"customized" *single* diff, or will Firefox/Thunderbird have to
download/install all intermittent diffs? If "all", will this happen
automagically, or will the user have to manually "Check for updates" for
*every* incremental diff update?

> *Hiring stuff*
>
> - Arranged part-time consultant CFO to help Mitchell two days a week -
> Jim Cook

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mozilla, Jim. :-)

> - Currently around the 40 employee mark, with everyone included

40? Wow! =-O

> - Pav, shaver and Mike Beltzner just got hired

Congratulations you three. :-)

> *News server*

> - Chris to talk to mitchell and fill her in so she can sign it

New news server coming soon. I'm quivering with antici...PATION! :-D

--
Peter Lairo

This is a *developer* newsgroup. For end-user discussion and peer
support please go to:
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.mozilla.user.general (make
sure "SSL" is enabled)
Posting Rulz: http://www.mozilla.org/community-etiquette.html#conventions
Mozilla FAQ: http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/faq/

James Ross

Jul 14, 2005, 9:35:38 AM7/14/05
Peter Lairo wrote:
> Gervase Markham on 14.07.2005 13:19 wrote:
>
>> 2005-07-11 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting
>>
>> *New Update*
>>
>> - Not yet testing incremental diff updates, just full updates
>
> For incremental diff updates:
> What if a user "skips" an incremental update, does the system then still
> work? What if he skips several? Will the update system give him a
> "customized" *single* diff, or will Firefox/Thunderbird have to
> download/install all intermittent diffs? If "all", will this happen
> automagically, or will the user have to manually "Check for updates" for
> *every* incremental diff update?

My understanding of the system (from bugs and IRC) was that the server
system would provide the diffs (which will only exist for each small
step) for 3 or so revisions, and make the client end apply them in
sequence (all behind the scenes, so it looks like one update, I
believe). If the number of diffs is greater than some threshold
(undetermined at this stage, I think) it will tell the client to use the
full update instead.

I expect the user will not see much beyond the version they will be
updating to, though it might list each incremental step when that is used.

bsmedberg and darin /definitely/ know more about this, if you feel like
molesting someone into giving you more information. ;)

--
James Ross <sil...@warwickcompsoc.co.uk>

Michael Lefevre

Jul 15, 2005, 9:08:01 AM7/15/05
On 2005-07-14, Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> 2005-07-11 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting
> - Hope to release Mozilla 1.7.9 by midweek
> - Thunderbird localiser communication still needed
> - The localisers test the update mechanism for each localisation before
> shipping it

Any news on Mozilla 1.7.9 or the localised builds? The security
advisories were released on Tuesday and it doesn't look good to advise
people to fix security flaws by upgrading to a version that isn't yet
available to them.

> *Hiring stuff*
>
> - Arranged part-time consultant CFO to help Mitchell two days a week -
> Jim Cook
> - It's his first day on Wednesday
> - He'll help us to hire a controller, who deals with day-to-day accounts
> - Also contracting a sysadmin
> - Currently around the 40 employee mark, with everyone included
> - Pav, shaver and Mike Beltzner just got hired

This is good news - congrats to the new hires (although some of them
aren't all that new to Mozilla...)

--
Michael

Chris Ilias

Jul 15, 2005, 12:34:32 PM7/15/05
_Michael Lefevre_ spoke thusly:

> Any news on Mozilla 1.7.9 or the localised builds? The security
> advisories were released on Tuesday and it doesn't look good to advise
> people to fix security flaws by upgrading to a version that isn't yet
> available to them.

Just a guess:
It may be delayed due to unintended API changes.
See:
<http://christopher.aillon.org/blog/dev/mozilla/20050714-apis.html>
<http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/008524.html>
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Links <http://ilias.ca>

Robert Kaiser

Jul 15, 2005, 5:22:48 PM7/15/05
Michael Lefevre schrieb:

> On 2005-07-14, Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote:
>> 2005-07-11 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting
>> - Hope to release Mozilla 1.7.9 by midweek
>> - Thunderbird localiser communication still needed
>> - The localisers test the update mechanism for each localisation before
>> shipping it
>
> Any news on Mozilla 1.7.9 or the localised builds? The security
> advisories were released on Tuesday and it doesn't look good to advise
> people to fix security flaws by upgrading to a version that isn't yet
> available to them.

Form what I've heard, there will be no 1.7.9 because they want to revert
the API change that slipped into that Gecko version, which means the
release is going to be 1.7.10 and coming within days (hopefully).

This also means, no further FF or TB 1.0.5 builds will be shipped,
wether localized or not, everything will be pushed out for days at least
and see its full glory with FF and TB 1.0.6 (based on Gecko 1.7.10).

This is only what I heard, and I'm just a contributor as well and not
related to Mozilla Foundation, so don't take it for granted ;-)

Robert Kaiser

ron thigpen

Jul 19, 2005, 12:44:15 PM7/19/05
Gervase Markham wrote:

> - Resolution: update the roadmap document more frequently and accurately

Please consider using this page (or one like it) to supplement the
roadmap document:

<http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap/release-status.html>

It does a marvelous job of summarizing the details and status of the
currently pending release. This without also trying to tackle the
entirety of the planning for the future. Like Firefox, it is concise
and simplified. Particularly useful are the links to the various
pertinent bugzilla searches.

--rt

ron thigpen

Jul 19, 2005, 1:35:07 PM7/19/05
Gervase Markham wrote:

> - Resolution: update the roadmap document more frequently and accurately

Please consider using this page (or one like it) to supplement the

Ed Mullen

Jul 19, 2005, 2:39:24 PM7/19/05

Umm, maybe so. But who picked the colors for the table? Geez, talk
about unreadable.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Chris Ilias

Jul 19, 2005, 3:58:07 PM7/19/05
_Ed Mullen_ spoke thusly:

> ron thigpen wrote:
>
>>Please consider using this page (or one like it) to supplement the
>>roadmap document:
>>
>><http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap/release-status.html>
>
> Umm, maybe so. But who picked the colors for the table? Geez, talk
> about unreadable.

Tasks which are completed are greyed out on the table.

Ed Mullen

Jul 19, 2005, 4:06:54 PM7/19/05
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Ed Mullen_ spoke thusly:
>
>>ron thigpen wrote:
>>

>>>Please consider using this page (or one like it) to supplement the
>>>roadmap document:
>>>
>>><http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap/release-status.html>
>>
>>Umm, maybe so. But who picked the colors for the table? Geez, talk
>>about unreadable.
>

> Tasks which are completed are greyed out on the table.

Easy enough to figure out. But if it's nigh on unreadable why bother to
have it there at all? I presume the page author wants to show the
completed items AND have people be able to read them. The chosen
styling isn't even close:

.completed {
background-color: #FEFCF6;
color: #DCD1B1;
font-size: smaller;

Better to choose a specific background color for completed items that
contrasts with both unfinished items AND the text color. Those choices
above provide too little contrast.

It's interesting information but looking at it makes it feel like my
eyeballs are being sucked out of my head.

Norvin (remove SPAM)

Jul 19, 2005, 8:25:48 PM7/19/05
I'm with you Ed, very hard to read.

John A.

Jul 20, 2005, 9:30:33 AM7/20/05

You have to highlight the spoilers to read them ;)

fantasai

Jul 20, 2005, 9:38:18 AM7/20/05
Ed Mullen wrote:
> ron thigpen wrote:
>
>> <http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap/release-status.html>

> Umm, maybe so. But who picked the colors for the table? Geez, talk
> about unreadable.

It /should/ be using class="data" to trigger the site-wide style sheets'
table styles.

Also, using <strong> or similar to highlight incomplete tasks would
probably be more readable than trying to gray out completed ones. :)

~fantasai

Chris Ilias

Jul 20, 2005, 5:26:38 PM7/20/05
_ron thigpen_ spoke thusly:

> <http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap/release-status.html>
>
> It does a marvelous job of summarizing the details and status of the
> currently pending release. This without also trying to tackle the
> entirety of the planning for the future. Like Firefox, it is concise
> and simplified. Particularly useful are the links to the various
> pertinent bugzilla searches.

You might be interested in the "Firefox 1.1 Bug Report" sticky in the
Firefox builds forum.

I can't seem to find one for Thunderbird.