Build Problems on OSX solved

Tim Roberts

Apr 19, 2002, 10:30:23 AM4/19/02
to mozilla...@mozilla.org
Well, It really pays to just go ahead and follow all of the instructions.
I had previously installed ORBit in /usr/local/ and when I did
%libIDL-config --version
It would return "0.6.8" so I figured everything was kosher.
It turns out that libIDL.a and libIDL.dylib were not created in my
original install.
xpidl needs these to do its work.
Even if you have installed ORBit previously, you need to check for
libIDL.a and libIDL.dylib.
The errors I got were all related to handling constants. It usually
would read something like:

"Error: unsigned const declaration '$nameofconst' initialized with
negative constant".

otool -L shows what shared libraries are used by program. On my system
it shows that xpidl uses
four libraries.

[waterknot:mozilla/dist/bin] timrob% otool -L xpidl
xpidl:
/sw/lib/libglib-1.2.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 1.10.0)
/sw/lib/libIDL-0.6.0.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current
version 5.4.0)
/sw/lib/libdl.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current
version 0.0.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 55.0.0)

Thanks to David Haas for leading me to the light.

Tim Roberts
Waterknot Music
Nashville, TN
mailto:water...@comcast.net