Plugin issue w/ Firefox (Quicktime)

Schraalhans Keukenmeester

Aug 20, 2005, 7:28:00 AM8/20/05
My Firefox 1.0.6 (on WinXP pro) keeps nagging about a missing plugin,
Quicktime. I have re-installed Qt over and over, but still it won't play
any .wav or .mp3 background sound.

Is there a way to tell firefox to use another player than QT for these
formats ? (I never expected these two to be handled by QT to begin with,
but what can I do?)

Tia
Schraalhans

Roland

Aug 20, 2005, 11:42:30 AM8/20/05

Type about:plugins in the addressbar and verify that Quicktime appears
in the list.

Next, verify that the Quicktime plugin handles wav and mp3 files. Open
Quicktime, and then Edit -> Preferences -> QuickTime Preferences ->
Browser Plug-in -> MIME Settings. Both the checkboxes "Audio -> WAVE
audio file" and "MP3 -> MP3 audio file" should be checked (on).
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
` ___ ___
`/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Roland

Aug 20, 2005, 11:51:27 AM8/20/05
On 20-8-2005 13:28, Schraalhans Keukenmeester wrote:

Another point: if the page inserts the music using the <BGSOUND> tag,
then Firefox (or any other standards compliant browser) won't play the
music. The <BGSOUND> tag is a Microsoft proprietary extension to HTML.

Christopher Jahn

Aug 20, 2005, 12:28:53 PM8/20/05
Schraalhans Keukenmeester <nom...@nohost.com> wrote in

Some sites use faulty code to detect plugins. It would be helpful if you
included the URLs of the problem sites.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

I wish you humans would leave me alone.

The Critters

Aug 20, 2005, 12:51:19 PM8/20/05
Roland wrote:

There used to be a plugin for FF for BGSOUND:
http://bgsound2embed.mozdev.org/, but its now abandoned.

Andy
--
to contact me, remove the NO-TINNED-MEAT

Technology for Country Folk:
http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/8813/countryfolks1zn.jpg

Fun with Telemarketers [Part 20]:

Say "No", over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one, and
keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to speak. After saying
"No" several times, stop and ask them: "What part of NO you not
understand?"

The Critters

Aug 20, 2005, 12:51:23 PM8/20/05
You can get some hints as to other programs here:
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows-all.html

Philip Chee

Aug 20, 2005, 1:56:34 PM8/20/05
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:51:19 -0700, The Critters wrote:
> Roland wrote:

>> Another point: if the page inserts the music using the <BGSOUND> tag,
>> then Firefox (or any other standards compliant browser) won't play the
>> music. The <BGSOUND> tag is a Microsoft proprietary extension to HTML.

> There used to be a plugin for FF for BGSOUND:
> http://bgsound2embed.mozdev.org/, but its now abandoned.

Actually it has been renamed to BGM Conductor:
<http://bgmconductor.svist.net/>

Phil
-==-
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>
http://fashblock.mozdev.org/
[ ]The earth is 98% full. Please .ZIP yourself...
* TagZilla 0.059

The Critters

Aug 20, 2005, 3:02:12 PM8/20/05
Philip Chee wrote:

Thanks for that

Bob

Aug 23, 2005, 7:52:24 AM8/23/05
The Critters wrote:
> Schraalhans Keukenmeester wrote:
>> My Firefox 1.0.6 (on WinXP pro) keeps nagging about a missing plugin,
>> Quicktime. I have re-installed Qt over and over, but still it won't
>> play any .wav or .mp3 background sound.
>>
>> Is there a way to tell firefox to use another player than QT for these
>> formats ? (I never expected these two to be handled by QT to begin
>> with, but what can I do?)

The Quicktime plugin is working great in Seamonkey 1.0+. Maybe try one
of the nightlies of Firefox 1.0+ that are congruent with Seamonkey.
Nigerian "romance scam": Nigerian crooks using dating sites, Yahoo chat
rooms and Yahoo messenger to con people. Using fake profiles with photos
of real models, they "romance" both men and women and then con them.
Join the group to learn more.

Schraalhans Keukenmeester

Sep 7, 2005, 3:35:15 AM9/7/05
Roland wrote:
> On 20-8-2005 13:28, Schraalhans Keukenmeester wrote:
>
>> My Firefox 1.0.6 (on WinXP pro) keeps nagging about a missing plugin,
>> Quicktime. I have re-installed Qt over and over, but still it won't
>> play any .wav or .mp3 background sound.

[snip]

> Type about:plugins in the addressbar and verify that Quicktime appears
> in the list.
>
> Next, verify that the Quicktime plugin handles wav and mp3 files. Open
> Quicktime, and then Edit -> Preferences -> QuickTime Preferences ->
> Browser Plug-in -> MIME Settings. Both the checkboxes "Audio -> WAVE
> audio file" and "MP3 -> MP3 audio file" should be checked (on).

Thx Roland! Problem solved. QT wasn't set to handle those formats.
Rgds

Schraalhans