Mozilla and Vista

Bob

Feb 27, 2007, 10:48:16 AM2/27/07
Apparently Mozilla won't work with Vista. When I loaded it on my new
laptop, it worked fine until I closed the browser and then tried to reopen
it. I then get an error message saying the program must close to complete a
permission for xpicleanup.exe to run. Clicking OK does nothing. Attempts
to re-open Mozilla lead to the same result. Uninstalling and re-installing
simply repeats the scenario. I see that there is a reported problem on
Bugszilla, but nothing seems to have been done yet. Has anyone been able to
get Mozilla to run on Vista? Patches, work arounds, etc? I really do want
to use Mozilla instead of IE!

J.O. Aho

Feb 27, 2007, 12:01:40 PM2/27/07

I think it's a bug that should be sent to microsoft, as it seems to be a
quite common thing happening in vista, not only with mozilla but other
programs too.

The only real fix for this is to visit www.distrowatch.com and download
the fix that is most to your likening.

--

//Aho

Grunt

Mar 1, 2007, 4:35:31 AM3/1/07

I had the same problem but after I did the following fix it sorted it,
from http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_not_start_up#Windows-specific_problems

The program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to
complete. Please restart."

If you are receiving this message when attempting to start Firefox and
a restart has no effect (bug 283680):
Open the Firefox installation directory (usually C:\Program Files
\Mozilla Firefox) and delete the file "xpicleanup.dat".

Windows Vista: Open the C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Local
\VirtualStore\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox folder and delete the file
"xpicleanup.dat". The "AppData" folder is hidden by default; to open
it, go to "Start -> Run -> (type in) %APPDATA% -> OK". You may need to
first end the "xpicleanup" process, if found, in Windows Task Manager
and delete the file "xpicleanup.exe" in the Firefox installation
directory.

Hope it helps

Bob

Mar 1, 2007, 3:35:13 PM3/1/07
Yes, that worked! It took me a while to figure out where the run command is
now and I first tried to include the % in appdata, but once I got over these
issues, it seems to work fine. Hope I don't run into any other problems
with Firefox. I guess for the time being we will have to do this every time
we download a new version. Thanks for the suggestions.

"Grunt" <jamie.m...@gmail.com> wrote in message