Subject: Choice of programming language

Jacob_P...@qzcom.mailnet

Jul 10, 1985, 8:46:16 AM7/10/85
From: Jacob_Palme_QZ%QZCOM....@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

We are just planning the start of writing a large and complex
system, which will, when ready, consist of two cooperating programs,
one on a main-frame, one on a PC or workstation, communicating
via different net protocols.

The program will, when ready, be in the size of about 30000 lines
of source code or more. The main programming will be done by
1-2 programmers in the beginning, perhaps 2-3 towards the end
of the project.

The program should be portable, i.e. it should be possible
to get it running on many different kinds of main-frames and
workstations.

We are at present considering which programming language to use
for this project. The main alternatives under discussion are
Pascal
Modula 2
Ada
Forth

If Forth is chosen, our intention is not to use any existing
Forth interpreter or compiler, but rather write our own compiler
which will be ported as part of the portation effort. We will
then also probably modify the Forth language definition to suit
our application. Thus, we would avoid the problems with writing
portable software of encountering variyng quality of the compilers
on the various goal machines.

Can I have comments on our choice of programming language. We
are very open for your comments, no decision has been taken yet.

Ron McDaniels

Jul 19, 1985, 2:01:04 PM7/19/85
In article <26...@topaz.ARPA> Jacob_P...@QZCOM.MAILNET writes:
>From: Jacob_Palme_QZ%QZCOM....@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
>
>We are just planning the start of writing a large and complex
>system, which will, when ready, consist of two cooperating programs,
>one on a main-frame, one on a PC or workstation, communicating
>via different net protocols.

. . .

>We are at present considering which programming language to use
>for this project. The main alternatives under discussion are
>Pascal
>Modula 2
>Ada
>Forth
>
>If Forth is chosen, our intention is not to use any existing
>Forth interpreter or compiler, but rather write our own compiler
>which will be ported as part of the portation effort. We will
>then also probably modify the Forth language definition to suit
>our application. Thus, we would avoid the problems with writing
>portable software of encountering variyng quality of the compilers
>on the various goal machines.
>
>Can I have comments on our choice of programming language. We
>are very open for your comments, no decision has been taken yet.

By all means create your own dialect of FORTH. While your at it,
you can add the best features of PL-I, F77 and CORAL66. Then, look
me up when you get out of college and we'll show you how it's done
when you have to make a living (wow! I didn't know I could be so
cynical).

R. L. (Ron) McDaniels

CELERITY COMPUTING . 9692 Via Excelencia Way . San Diego, California . 92126
(619) 271-9940 . {decvax || ucbvax || ihnp4 || philabs}!sdcsvax!celerity!ron
"Yes, my Precious. . . we hates them socket(2)eses!"