Bird blew it

mich...@ism780.uucp

Jun 11, 1985, 2:38:00 PM6/11/85

LARRY BIRD BLOWS IT.

The reason the Celtics lost is because Larry
blew it. As some of you might know, I have been one of
the more vocal Bird watchers on the net this past
season. He blew it for the Celtics and he knows it.
I'll be the first person to say that Bird won a game for
the Celts, so I'll be the first to lay the blame on him.
He didn't score, rebound or pass like he had done for 82
games before. He shot air balls, missed BIG 4th quarter
shots, bricked free throws, turned the ball over and got
burned on D over and over. Except for some flashes of
his usual brilliance in the third quarter of game 4, he
was not a factor. When your number one gun is not a
factor, how can you win? He WAS injured. I won't use it
as an excuse becuase he didn't. When he was missing big
shots in the 4th quarters, you could feel the life being
sucked out of the Celts.

The Lakers played well, especially Kareem. I
still feel that if Bird was on his game, the Celts would
have won. The Celts lost it in a 111-100 game. They
scored only 45 points in the second half. The Lakers
didn't exactly run the score up either, they got plenty
of points at the end when deliberate fouls out of Celtic
desperation put them on the line repeatedly. The Celtics
looked extremely tired in the final game.

The Lakers won it fair and square. As much as
I hate to say it, congrats. However, I don't think any
impartial hoop fans would have been impressed or excited
by this boring series. The series, much like Larry, did
not live up to it's expectations.