WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlo Sgro

Sep 14, 1984, 9:29:28 AM9/14/84
We beat them! WOW! This performance demonstrates that the Soviets are
beatable yet again. I don't want to do any analysis of the game other
than to say that skating with the Soviets is possible and is all ( :-) )
that is needed. This game will probably convert a lot of cynics and
change a lot of tunes (myself included, to an extent; see my last
posting (after the loss to the Soviets)).

And now for some excerpts from the Toronto Star headline (!!; we take
our hockey seriously) article of this morning (Friday Sept. 14) by Jim
Proudfoot:
It opens by saying: "Hell froze over. Somewhere, surely, a man
bit a dog. And a bunch of Canadians finally vanquished
the Russians at ice hockey last night, bringing to a
thrilling conclusion what seemed like a century of
frustration."
Other excerpts:
"It was Mike Bossy who got credit for the biggest goal,
by one of our guys, since Paul Henderson's Moscow
masterpiece in 1972 ..." (they brought a TV set into
our Grade 5 class for that series; how time flies!)

"And so ended a period of Canadian despair the length
of which depends on how you would measure these things.
The prevalent view is that this was Canada's first
truly meaningful victory over any Soviet Union national
side since a 3-1 success in the preliminary segment of
the inaugural Canada Cup in 1976."

"So last night's 3-2 win will produce a nationwide feeling
of euphoric relief, as if some sort of monstrous burden
had been lifted from our collective shoulders. Such is
the importance of hockey in this nation."

"There's good reason today for a feeling of pride and
satisfaction for Team Canada, previously a massive
disappointment in this tournament, deserved to take this
highly emotional game. So many of the professional
luminaries whose reputations had been impaired redeemed
themselves through this evening of gripping drama."

One last comment: If people were saying that we would be disgraced if
we didn't make the finals, what does that say about
the Soviets???

- Carlo

ri...@ucla-cs.uucp

Sep 27, 1984, 3:42:47 PM9/27/84
>From: ca...@oscvax.UUCP (Carlo Sgro)

> Other excerpts:
> "It was Mike Bossy who got credit for the biggest goal,
> by one of our guys, since Paul Henderson's Moscow
> masterpiece in 1972 ..." (they brought a TV set into
> our Grade 5 class for that series; how time flies!)

I remember the '72 series quite well. For the last game of the series our
high school got the afternoon off to watch on tv. They arranged tv sets all
over the school, in auditoriums and gyms, and there were hundreds of us
watching. It was quite a thrill when Henderson scored his goal in the last
minute to win and all of us jumped up and cheered at the same time.
Where were YOU?!

Rick Gillespie
rick@ucla-cs
...!{cepu|ihnp4|sdcrdcf|ucbvax}!ucla-cs!rick

"I came here for a good argument!"
"No you came here for an argument"